I gotta put my thoughts out

Best answers
Wow, this is in an incredible mod. When I first heard of it, and realized that it was for Half Life, I scoffed. So many people doing DBZ mods, and Bid for Power, being the best quality one, had died a quick death, and the end result, while graphically stunning, wasn't that great a game in my opinion. Great effort though.

There was a DBZ mod for JK, but that was less than stunning, so I figured that a DBZ mod for Half Life was sure to be horrible. But I tried it and my eyes practically popped out.

After playing for two weeks, I've suddenly gotten an 'emotional' attachment to the game, so I'd like to voice my opinions/concerns about the mod and its 'direction'. Keep in mind, these are just observations. If someone cares to respond because they think differently, just tell me and back it up, and i'll say, "okay".

Powering up:

I know that it's supposed to be hard to power up, but then you've got other player models that power up in about thirty seconds. Are you planning on tweaking the power levels that people power up at? I realize that for the start, some characters have lots of ki reserve, but need to practically double it to power up (like Buu), while people like Gohan start small, but power up very quickly. This is all fine and good, except for the fact that powered up individuals... are... well, they almost seem too powerful, too soon. A character like Buu will basically never reach his second form in a game, but Trunks/gohan will get there in no time. Is there something about getting to power up sooner that I'm missing? It takes me forver. I could even dominate and have a score of 40-9... still not even close to tranforming. Someone should let me know.

Ki Blasts:

The main beam of each character is strong. You can destroy most people in one to two hits, which is a good thing. Then we got to the generic blasts. :rolleyes: While I would agree that you cna't make generic blasts too strong, or we'd all be using them ALL the time, but at this point, and competent "melee" master will render generic beams, etc., pretty useless. Not because you can't hit them, but because when you do, it doens't count for much.

Melee:

I guess I shouldn't bother, since reports of melee being enhanced and such are already out. I was going to say before I read about it that while the melee is certainly the most innovative part of your game, it's also seems to be the greatest weakness. the melee separates this game from the rest, adds depth to it, but at it's current 1.1 state, it becomes very flawed when advanced players start to use it. The big thing about it is that many people have trouble figuring out just when melee will initiate or not. Once you figure that out, everything gets peachy, but then it becomes a charge, fly around, slam match. Who is better at slamming into the moving wall? While I enjoy this, I realize that I can't compete in this kind of game as well as others, and it would be appreciated if melee would have counters and such, to stop the rampant melee stomping. The counter to melee is.... well... better meleeing. But I guess you guys have that covered already.

Transporting:

Now this is the part that really unsettles me. I know that Zanzoken (I think that's right) is a major part of the series, however, it has become a huge problem in this game. These are just my observations of it so far.

1.) I noticed that some characters only have about 1-2 million power on average. As Buu, I know that I often have more power than other players. Can someone explain to me how it seems a lot of players are not only transporting themselves farther, but also more often than I am, without charging. How are they zipping around doing melee, charging me, etc., and charging themselves up, without ever taking a break, or seemingly never taking one? I often think there is some trick to power management that i'm missing.

2.) There are some decent transporting players, who seem legit, then a whole slew of players who all seem godly in their transportation skills; they transport a million times more than I do (and my character has an innate power advantage), and there transports all seem to position themselves perfectly for smashing hits. This leads me to believe that either these people have the greatest hand eye coordination and computer depth perception ever (I don't even think you can HAVE depth perception on a video game), or we've got some major scripting going on. I am inclined to believe that some major scripting is going on, since most of these 'godly' players I meet, all seem to know exactly when to teleport out of my way, and they strangely seem to teleport and fight the same ways too. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

3.) Transporting seems to be a faster and more effective method of travel than normal flying. I thought the transport was for quick escapes or quick maneuvers, and not full scale flight patterns, but I could be wrong. Live, learn, adapt, and do as the others do I guess.

thats' the end of my spiel. To sum all of that stuff up, I'd say that the melee and transporting issues need some serious consideration. At this point, I've noticed that the 'best' players are the ones who seem to magically triagulate all of their teleports and melee strikes perfectly against ALL opponents. I still wonder sometimes if they've been scripting flight patterns and moves, because some attacks seem too perfectly executed and repeated, but I'll keep playing and keep an open mind. The only way to counter that, or just people's natural ability to fly, is to add counters to the melee and transporting systems. the beams have counters, you can have beam battles, you can use transport to escape beams.... man, there's so many counters to projectiles, that if you haven't figure it out yet, you should stop playing. But melee and transporting pretty much seem 'counter free'. That's all I got to say. This is definitely a top notch mod. cheers.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
i gota agree with you about this being an amazing mod.
As for the teleport issue, it all comes with practice. Hell, i can teleport loads and keep my ki above 1/2 always. It all comes with alot of practice, good timing and whenever you have a spare moment, you charge. I dont use any kind of binds. Try and teleport into open spaces, to get more charge time, and always keep one step ahead of the game (think ahead of yourself)

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
A lot of people recharge for 1/2 a second after each teleport to keep their reserves even

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yea like I will swoop up to someone hit them teleport about 3 time recharge for about 1 second and teleport back and swoop again. Or Ill pretend to be powering up they swoop at me, Im at full ki and Ill hit them then teleport behind them and hit them to the ground. Then I really recharge. I have countless ways of killing, I play as cell(My name and my character) and if you come onto a server with me on it, Im usually the highest scoring one. Alot of people call me melee whores but I know I own them. The only 2 people who threaten me are bio brolli and gr00vy.'

And usually I will recharge 1/2 second like he said between ever teleport so it keep my ki bar full.

/Edit also, never stay still if they are even mildly threatening. And never underestimate your enemy.... well dont underestimate your enemy when you fear death. I can underestimate my enemy... I fear no one... except bio brolli and gr00vy :D

Best answers
im pretty good at melee i dont play esf much im a visual learner so i cand judge how many times ill have to teleport to reach someone but hitting em is a diffrent story wit me lol

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Originally posted by Doctor Shaft

3.) Transporting seems to be a faster and more effective method of travel than normal flying. I thought the transport was for quick escapes or quick maneuvers, and not full scale flight patterns, but I could be wrong. Live, learn, adapt, and do as the others do I guess.
I would rather swoop because you're primed for an attack and less vulnerable.

Originally posted by UltraPerfectCel

/Edit also, never stay still if they are even mildly threatening. And never underestimate your enemy.... well dont underestimate your enemy when you fear death. I can underestimate my enemy... I fear no one... except bio brolli and gr00vy :D
Oh? I'll accept that challenge ^^

Fumoffu!
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Welcome to the forums and the ever growing ESF community! Read about half of what you typed down... seems you've got a good understanding of the game so far. Just play more and you'll get better faster. :)

But most importantly... never ever miss out this one very crucial factor of the game - "fun". :p

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ok gman, set up a server and Ill take you on and win :)

Best answers
teleporting really is alot about judgement of distance, but its not only that you need a perception of what your opponent will do. if you can anticipate where your opponent will attack and you teleport out the way, you can then teleport back to where you were and kick him.
i guess it does take a while to get used to it, personally i prefered 1.0 but then everyone tells me its all about getting used to 1,1 however my pc is to slow (pathetic tho it may be) to run over 15 fps.

You should also try to use generic beams, they are quick and easy damage, and as you'll realise when you play people like gr00vy you need to get as much in as quick as possible.

one word of advice change your teleport key to something confortable, i use shift and v. this means i can press space bar and shift to teleport up, and easily ajust to press ctrl and v to go down. if you do this infront of some1 blocking they tend tto get confused.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ok gman, set up a server and Ill take you on and win :)
Sorry that it's off-topic but his PM box is full

Anyone else who wants to come: 66.24.251.173

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Seems that GMan's been causin trouble lately...

Anyways, I like the teleporting the way it is, if it changes, im screwed, cause teleporting is probably the only thing im good at.

Best answers
Originally posted by Doctor Shaft
A character like Buu will basically never reach his second form in a game, but Trunks/gohan will get there in no time.
In 1.0 I could easily reach Buu's transformation before a Goku could, but now in 1.1 its hard because the server usually crashed when im almost there. :S

The only thing I dont like about this mod is the short combat, I was really hoping for some nice, interesting, and long combat. o_o

Fumoffu!
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Originally posted by GhostfaceKillah
Seems that GMan's been causin trouble lately...
http://forum.esforces.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7302

Gman whats the pass!!
He said your PM box is full, clear it up and ask this through PM's.

Originally posted by Ryuma
In 1.0 I could easily reach Buu's transformation before a Goku could, but now in 1.1 its hard because the server usually crashed when im almost there. :S
Try playing on not-so-popular servers.. Until metamod 1.1 update comes out, Devil is loose and nothing can be done about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom