Severe lag with dedicated server

Best answers
I want to run a dedicate ESF server just for my own playing on with bots. I want it dedicated so i can quit and leave the bots playing and raising their PL. This way I can join later and get huge PLs nice and quickly.

I ran a dedicated server before and had 2 bots on it, but when I join the game gives me ping from about 200+ most of the time. This is sh- useless. I set my rate up to 25000 but this didnt help.

What things must I set to:

- Make the game local access only (does not appear as an Internet game)
- Stop this bad ping

??

Best answers
hmm....does it run on a seperate machine?If it's runnign on the same machine that you're playing on then that means youll have to buy a new machine for the server.

and if it is a seperate one,I guess you'll have to upgrade it,and be sure to set the sv_maxrate and sv_minrate to a tolerable level,like 9999 or 25000

BTW,isnt this supposed to be in the server chat forum??

Best answers
OK what are your system specs?

You need at least a p4 1.5 GhZ processor and 512 ram 2 hold a dedicated server and join it from the same machine but on a different comp it means that one Sux.

Best answers
its on the same machine. and its an AMD athlon 1.2Ghz with 640Mb ram.

i didnt know running a dedicated used so many resources. I figured it would use less because it wouldn't run any of the display or sounds.

Best answers
it runs all the entities on the pc,now that's resource eating

having a p4 1.5 gHz and 512 MB RAM is too expensive to afford,just stick with that pc,and have another one to replace the one you are using now.The one you have is more than enough to run a dedicated server,let alone run 2

BTW,make sure to run a 8-person server,having too much....well you can guess that already

Best answers
i am thinking of getting a new system this year. i am in no rush but. the longer i wait the better my new PC gets for the same price.

i will just have to leave HL running a listen game overnight with me in spectate then I can get up in the morning and play a hardcore game of ESF with big PLs

Orz

Best answers
A dedicated server basically takes over your computer and gives it a sole purpose - maintaing a Half-Life server. While you might think that it's faster because it's not 'running the game', it's actually taking all those spare resources and using those to further fuel the efficiency of the server.

This means that when you try to join on the same computer, your dedicated server will keep stealing away the resources your Half-Life client needs to use. Even if you have a uber-PC, you're going to have low performance.

(Also, remember that it DOES have to handle sprites, gameplay, and so on - they're just not visible. This means that your graphics card is relaxing, but your system chip and RAM are working overtime in the background.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom