For Whoever's In Charge of the Music

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I am an accomplished musician and do a lot of digital recording, and have some of my own music in ESF already. Techno-rock stuff, like most of the DBZ music is; I create special sample-based midi files, convert them to wav, and add the guitar stuff in myself. Then I do a final mix, and crunch it down to mp3, and a couple of these songs I've made go really well with ESF.

So I decided that I'm possibly going to do a whole set of songs for the game, custom original music unique to ESF.

If the team wants to include it in the game, that would be cool, but my main reason for this thread is to ask if anyone would be interested in such a pack. It'd be maybe 6-8 mp3s, and well...I don't want to do the work if no one's interested in downloading it or using it.

If there is a decent enough demand for it, then I will get to work. If not then I'll scratch the idea.

The Sinister Minister
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well, the person who made the ESF MP3's you hear that come with beta 1.1 by default has retired from the team, I believe. If you don't get a prompt response, it would be best to contact the team leader, Mastasurf. If not Masta, than any other team member, I'd say.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well...in a way that is good news for my idea, I guess. Hehe.

I think I'll throw together a sample clip when I get home from work tonight, so I can show a little of what it's like. Just a quick 30 second clip or something, to show what exactly the type of stuff is that I'd do for the game.

As soon as I have some sort of fresh sample work I'll post it up somewhere and get some feedback. After all...I'd hate to offer and have the team accept the work blind to the fact that the music sucks. I want to make GOOD music that FITS the pace of things, not just plug my own songs in and try to get some recognition for myself, you know?

Well in any case everyone'll see what I've got soon enough. hehe. Thanks for the info, Majin.

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'll grab masta by the face and ram his head in this topic . . . it's the only way to get his attention ;)

Best answers
Are you speaking techno rock, or more industrial rock?
Any samples?

Busy Busy Busy
★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Originally posted by Cucumba
I'll grab masta by the face and ram his head in this topic . . . it's the only way to get his attention ;)
*dodges face grab* Sometimes he finds stuff on his own :D

SaiyanPrideXIX, make a sample track and post it in the forums. Then we'll see how everyone likes it.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Honestly, I don't want to limit it to a genre. my idea tends to lean more towards the techno side, since the constant and pounding but still somewhat light-hearted beats of techno tend to fit ESF's gameplay very well.

Honestly, I am going to be using elements from several areas, so it probably won't sound much like either of the two you mentioned. My goal is to make music that makes the game feel more fun. Industrial would be too hardcore; it would work better if ESF wasn't based on a lighthearted cartoon. I can't really describe it, it's a lot like a more rocked out version of DBZ's music, the first song I'm talking about. If I remember how it goes (I lost that file).

Maybe I will even rock out one of the old original ESF songs. Hehe.

I myself play guitar in the vein of James Hetfield from Metallica, but I am very musically flexible. I've composed and performed music in plays and movies, and as I said, I sometimes make my own stuff to go into my PC games. I've been kicking around the idea of making a mod, but I'm no 3D artist or coder...and I doubt I could amass a team that would just willingly listen to me and my idea, and do as I said, despite all that. But audio and 2D Artwork, I excel at. I even made my own Gallit Gun animation for the Beta, actually; it doesn't look like the show's but I raised its transparency and did some tinting and lightningish stuff. It's too bad I lost it when I got rid of the beta for 1.1; I screwed up and installed over it, and not only did it mess up, but it overwrote my animation. >:0\

Music is my big thing though. I have been playing guitar and various other stuff for a long time, and dabbling in the power user midi stuff since my first year of college (I have my Associates in Media).

In any case I will put up a sample or give it to whoever is most appropriate by the time I get home from work today. Either that or I'll remake that gallit gun...or my wannabe pet project, the lightning charged final flash I never even got to start. lol

Don't worry. With the music, trust me--I know what I'm doing. hehe. ESF needs a soundtrack, a legit one. An original one, with a DBZ flare, so Funimation can't gripe about it.

I'll get to work on it as soon as I get home. Hehe.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Sorry for the off-topic, but: Cuc your sig is WAAAY too big o_O

On-Topic: So you do rock/techno stuff :devgrin: I'd like to hear it :)

Best answers
yeah give us some, i cant wait has to be good!!and ex-blade navanax, your new sig ownzzz!!

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Doesn't music lag you while playing ESF? Does it affect anything in any way? Because if it does, I won't use it. If it doesn't music it is. :p

Best answers
I'll download your music dude :D Always looking for some good fighting music to play to. I loved the band the ESF team used, The Faulty, totally suprised me when I heard it the first time. I'll look foreward to hearing your music, sounds like fun

-DS

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Lets have a listen, if you play like James Hetfield you are a god in my books :p

Best answers
if you play rammstein style i love you...
but yeah we gota hear a sample your words are kind of... worthless without some proof of your music even then we gota judge if its good or blows...

Best answers
Hmm. Great , might get some decent music for esf =) ( althought i do like the faulty , they rock )
I think this thread might turn into a "do this kinda music" thread.
Lets wait for the guy to post some stuff and tell him what we think.
And then maybe have a poll on the music.

🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Music will only lag you if you have a slow processor, little ram, or no soundcard. Of course a combination of any of those would produce noticeable lag.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ok...i decided I want to cook up something new for you guys...so my first song I post is a new one. I have to finish it, give me a couple of days to get it done and uploaded (I have to work this week, otherwise it'd be done already). It's tentatively called "A Terrible Power," and is sort of inspired by that crazy music that's going on while Majin Buu is wiping out town after town, but a more serious version of it. I'll be working away, I hope you guys like it, it's a little different then my other stuff.

Maybe I'll post an old one and this new one. We'll see.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
pity i hate all this techno beat and so on... lol... i dunno... my favourate ESF mp3 would be the 100 smiths on neo song, "burly brawl" so rocks ingame, try making upon that genre or i'll just slap on my cradle of filth tracks over the default MP3's like the other ESF versions :p

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Sephiroth_Renzo said:
Hmm. Great , might get some decent music for esf =) ( althought i do like the faulty , they rock )
I think this thread might turn into a "do this kinda music" thread.
Lets wait for the guy to post some stuff and tell him what we think.
And then maybe have a poll on the music.
A poll is a good idea.

As far as the whole, "do this kind of music" thing...well...guess what? It's not a kind of music you listen to, like a genre or a band. It's ESF, it's audio that compliments the videos. So what does ESF have? A fast pace, for one. What's the object of the game? To get as much power as you can. So I need something fast, with some punch to it.

Honestly if you take the speed you move at ESF (the framerate and whatnot, you'll find out that you can do some math stuff to it and eventually you will be able to come out to a musical speed in beats per minute that will compliment the game.

The guitar-drivenpseudo techno style unique to DBZ's music is the direction I'm going, but since there's no dialog and all fighting, my work's going to have to have a bit more punch, no?

So I'm not like, writing a song like a band would. I'm writing it by imagining a scene in my head, and trying to compliment the action within that scene. So as far as people telling me what type of music to do, it's sort of irrelevent...I already have the image of ESF, and to me, the music just writes itself.

I wrote the part of the song "A Terrible Power" that I got done last night by booting up ESF and recording a demo of me playing, then watching it on a loop. hehe.

I really like the idea of the music poll, though. That way I can see what people think the songs need and stuff.

I wish i could be confident but I'm actually very nervous. I started work on a second song this morning called "Power Struggle." I think it will be the opening track for the whole thing.

I also plan on playtesting these songs myself as best I can, so that I can really judge if they make the game seem cooler or not.

Well again I'm nervous, but hopefully I'll have something uploaded somewhere before long.

Jeeze. I hope everyone doesn't hate it...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom