"Just A Game"

Best answers
I have known EvilChimp for the better part of a year, and I should be shocked at him being open to the ESF community about cheating (http://forum.esforces.com/showthread.php?postid=329004#post329004), but for some reason I am not. EC brings up the point of it being "just a game", and yes, I also look at it like that, because I know that if I screw up and the community looks down upon me for something I did wrong, I can always uninstall ESF and block the esf ppl on my buddy list. BUT, with esf being "a game", its main intent is to bring people the joy of gaming and also an escape from the reality surrounding us. Alot of us have built some friendships through this game, whether it be in clan-play, sparring, or just chatting in the forums... and when a game can bring people like u and I together, its become more than "just a game"... its become a social gathering. Its a place we can go when we've failed a test, or when the weather is looking down upon us. I can't count on a calculator the number of times ESF has saved me from complete boredom when there's nothing going on. So when you say that this is just a game, it is... but, under the skin of this game lies hundreds (maybe thousands) of fans and gamers who love and respect ESF. To say that we take the game seriously is mis-stated... instead, you can state that we take the game as a great form of entertainment and we all wish that it stays as un-tainted as possible. And for this reason, that is why esf'ers whine and bicker about hackers and cheaters. We don't want our fun ruined. We want to enjoy the game without people looking to cause a commotion in our game play. Its never "just a game" when people are involved.

Best answers
I totally agree dude...this is "just a game" but in a way its more than that..it is a community and what he and devil do could almost be considerded vandalism...it taints the reputation and quality of not only the community but the game as well...

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
People who go out of their way to make others unhappy, despite whether it's a "game," or not.. Sicken me. They need serious therapy, or are just an idiot. Justifying your actions to yourself.. Sonic is right, in the other thread---Anonymonity, the freedom from being punished for your actions on the internet.. causes things like this.

Best answers
Ya i agree with you fully. I had something like that but some ppl dont give a **** and think my answer was stupid... :S they didnt think very well. Hmm must be brained damaged.

Best answers
...Right, knock the level down a bit again. I think it's brave enough he(EC) confessed it, and most likely little noobs will walk in here and flame the hell out of him. To me it's Just a game, I'm playing this game for fun and action, not to make cool internet friends and look-how-tough I am. This game is meant for amusement.

I daily make people unhappy, whether it's me owning them in ESF, or I'm being "evil". Honestly, I don't give a damn what those people think about me. I'm not going to break down and cry because someone called me an *******, I'm saying something foul back and I'm going on with the game.

Just try and play ESF without these petty attachments such as talking and having friends, play for your own fun and leave afterwards. It makes it much more easier.
-Lynx-

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Lynxy said:
To me it's Just a game, I'm playing this game for fun and action, not to make cool internet friends and look-how-tough I am. This game is meant for amusement.

Honestly, I don't give a damn what those people think about me. I'm not going to break down and cry because someone called me an *******, I'm saying something foul back and I'm going on with the game.
-Lynx-
My comments are directed more towards Devil, but somewhat to EC.
The point is, the game, as you said, is meant for amusement. I, and many others, do not find our servers being crashed, losing whatever progress in kills/power we've acquired, "amusing."

Quite frankly, I don't care what you or most other people think of me, either.. but it's not an insult we're talking about, it's the malicious interruption of a gaming session using a Bot. That's not some random person calling you an *******, and you saying "Oh well, I'll pwn them."
It's an interruption of play, that is unwelcome and not amusing in the slightest.

You can't "say something foul back," because the server is destroyed--and often repeatedly destroyed, rendering you unable to play whatsoever.
Get the picture?

Best answers
I didn't really get your last part, but most seemed clear. My few cents are just to not take this game TOO seriously. You can't expect everyone to be nice, honest and clean (as in no cheating). Also, complaining won't work, actions should be taken.

About the insult part, it is kind of serious lately. If you say something like "*****:p" you get all kinds of flames and insults. Like I said, don't take it too serious. In fact it is just a game, not something you devote your life to. I'm not saying it should be disrupted/interrupted by hackers and such, but unless actions will be taken, complaining won't help you out either.
-Lynx-

Retired
Best answers
I never take stuff serious in any online game, never get mad cuz you're not gaining anything out of it.

if someone says "That was lucky, *****!" I just say nothing or "Sure it was"

ends the conversation already, or just pisses the opponent off.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I say he gets + points for admitting he cheats.. thats cool of him.

As for cheaters themselves.. I couldn't care less.. aslong as I aint owned 50-0 cause of it I do not mind losing a bit.. I say if you fight ppl who cheat you want to beat em and that gets skill.

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I don't see why he should be placed on a golden pedastel for admitting to ruining the fun of others on repeated occasions. Last I recall he said he was leaving the game and his computer or something anyway to pursue other interests. He's no martyr, he just felt like letting people know before he stopped visiting the forum.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I guess I missed what happened in this fabled "other thread" but that Evil Chimp character was shady nonetheless.

Apparently he admitted to cheating. And apparently a bunch of people are annointing him for it.

That is very stupid. Sorry, but it is. Any of you play sports, for example?

How would you like it if a dude corked his bat and hit homers 3/4 of the time? Or if they could use a lag exploit and tackle you in football before you even caught the ball? Better yet how about in basketball, if someone could jump 2x higher, run 2x faster, and called you a homo after every basket and laughed in your face? Or how about a game of Soccer where the goalie doesn't even have to pay attention to block your shots? And the best model of all--how would you like it if some dude came into your hockey game, and he got mad because you scored a goal on him, and then suddenly, you find yourself sitting back home doing nothing. Then you get up, hop in your car/on your bike/whatever, go all the way back down to the ice rink, and he's still there, the score is now 20-0 because the game only resets for your team and not him, and as soon as the score becomes 20-1, the same thing happens?

People have KILLED one another over lesser things in sports. A bad call an ump makes could cause someone to strangle someone else arguing over it. But those are nuances of the game--such as ESF's occasional "die by an explosion on the other side of the map that had nothing to do with you or your current opponent" scenarioes.

It'd piss anyone off to deal with those things in real life. Just because some people apparently play this great and incredibly entertaining game as a go-between to kill a half-hour between their favorite shows, or going out with their friends, and don't get as annoyed cause they'll just go walk away, doesn't mean that cheating is "ok" and that it makes Chimp a moral champion to announce that he's a cheater.

Just the same, if Devil showed up here and did the same thing, everyone would flame him for what a rotten little ******* he is. But Chimp is a wonderful joe because he cheated, just not often enough to draw attention to himself, and announced it to us all.

I'm no expert--hell, I haven't even read the other thread yet--but I imagine saying you cheated to a bunch of people as you exit the community is more of a slap in the face than a heroic admission of heartfelt guilt and remorse. It should be treated as such.

All cheaters are cheaters. Cheating is amoral, wrong, obnoxious, and annoying. I don't care who does it, or why they do it, or what they say about it--cheating is wrong, inconsiderate, rude, and foolish on many levels.

That would make CHEATERS wrong, inconsiderate, rude, and foolish as well.

I don't think anyone's a saint cause they admitted they cheated. Dahmer admitted to eating people; does that mean we should have let him off?

Honestly. Cheating is cheating, and it's foolish to say otherwise.

Personally, if he's gone, I know I won't miss him.

Best answers
No one said hes a champion or anything, you should quit hallucinating. He admitted he was wrong, and I appreciate that. But that doesn't mean I'm going to hate him and wish he'd be gone. And that also doesn't tell ANYTHING about his punishments hes going to get. Noone gave a different meaning about cheating. As he cheated, he deserves to be punished like one.

To me, he's still the EvilChimp I know. Even if he cheated, hacked, whatever you'd like to call it. I'm not going in here to give a nice, long flame story he can read when hes bored. Let's get it over with and let the authorities handle it. No point babbling about it anyway.

And personally, if he's gone, I know I'll miss him.
-Lynx-

Best answers
i dont think cheating really matters if someone has to cheat to beat u then i figure u just take it in strid and dont worry about, but i will say one thing ppl need to stop being jerks on esf, some guy made my little brother whos pretty young cry the other night because he was being a jerk, i mean u guys just cause ur good at a game dosent mean these ppl can be jerks thats all i have to say sorryif its kind of off topic

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
well looking at Evil chimps post, he wasn't bragging, and he was actually trying to be helpful, and very mature..... i used to play jedi knight, dark forces 2 a lot, and there were hackers on there, but they always got kicked of games cuz people invented a way to kick them, so in the end u would occasionally see hacker games, which is fine and i dont mind them having that, people have the right to do as they please, as long as they dont harm/offend others.... what evil chimp was trying to say was maybe a little like that...... But it seems to me that you've thrown him into a pile of worthless ****, which i think is wrong..... he said he's sorry and accepts any punishment, and it seems to me he only told us to inform us of how easy it is, and how to go about stoping it, im not praising him at all, im just saying that its better than him not telling us and ****ing people servers up........ look at it this way, he's stopped, he's appoligised, and he accepts all responsibility, so put yourself in his shoes, he cant do anything else to make things better, cuz he cant go through time... would you like evry1 condeming you as well? People all have the right to be forgiven, but im not saiyng what he's done should not be unpunished, thats up to ESF, what im saying is people shouldnt abuse or slur him, his punishment is what the ESF team/staff/watever give's him, it isnt the publics place to punish him......

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
People do all kinds of stuff for fun. Saiyan had some good juxtaposations in his last post, even if they were a bit extreme. The truth is people play games to have fun because they take a significantly smaller effort and are significantly less discriminating than more physical activities. I play games online all the time because all of my friends are either in the next state over or the city over the hill, and it's just too easy for me to take a few steps into the computer room to get my social interaction out of the way. Some people have asthma or other low level medical conditions that make outdoor activities less inviting as well, and that makes the computer a welcome subsitute for time wasting. Unfortunately, people like EC and Devil find our games equally inviting, but they don't play to relax. They play the game either just to win, or to make sure that everyone else is angry. They get a rush out of it. It would be like the bullies on the playground back in 3rd grade who used to take the ball and kick it over the fence when you tried to play kickball or basketball; they're just trying to drive you nuts, and after it wears at you long enough you just get tired of it. Really there's just no excuse for turning someone's leisure time into a stressful game of "let's find a server that they haven't crashed in 5 minutes." If you can't respect us, we can't respect you, and as much as some of us would like to get our revenge at the kid who kicked that ball over the fence, there's no way we could possibly reach him without a major act of cooperation on the part of his ISP. It isn't fair, and we shouldn't have to take their ****, but that's the way the cookie crumbles.

I don't think anybody here is taking this too seriously, I just think some of us have accepted that we don't have much of a shot at getting them and have given up on promoting awareness of them.

Edit- @David: Sorry David, but he didn't email the staff with his confession, he told the forum, and the forum is "punishing" him for it now by condemning him. Simple as that.

🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I could care less about people using cheats in esf. You can tell right off that they are and its kind of funny to knock them around when they are. The thing that gets me is when people go and crash servers. It doesn't diminish fun it completely stops it in it's tracks. This is just a bully attitude. I'm sorry but anyone who crashes servers is on my **** list. Its good that someone does the right thing and confesses to it but they should still suffer the consequences of their actions. I agree with everything that ultimate 17 said as well.

Best answers
Your presuming too much Sonic. In fact your entire post was one. From what I know EvilChimp wasn't/isn't some "bully" who likes to take the ball (bind the button) and kick it over the fence (crashing the server). I've seen screenshots of him explaining why he crashed servers, and what the fun of it was. And trust me, it wasn't just "bullying" people and crashing madness. I believe this is just bad experiences you've had with hackers, just don't confuse those with these.

It's up to ESF to decide what's going to happen to EC. And us discussing about it won't actually matter a single bit. So I suggest we should stop writing what we think he deserves and let ESF handle this. It's not in our control to take actions anyway. Just sit this one out.
-Lynx-

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Sonic Boyster, i respect what your saying and i agree, but it was clear in Evil chimps post that he did regret it and he appologise, and gave advice, what im saying is what else can he do to help out the situation? is a person eternaly damned because they make a mistake? he's done all he can to say he's sorry, what else can he do? and im sure that the esf team check out the forums once and a while, and i would have thought they would have been told about this.....

The Viking
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'd say give him a 2nd chance and invite him back into our community, but i'm no mod. , so that is not in my power. Still......

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom