More difficult to play in own server ??

Best answers
Most of you who have been to the ~].SL.[~ Server know that I am the owner and admin of the server. It is run from my house in which I have 2 computers set up-- one for the ded. server and one to play on. When I connect to my own server from my computer, my ping is generally between 2-14. You would think I'd have the advantage against other players because my reactions would respond quickers to the server than theirs, but I have found that there are some differences playing in my server compared to playing in another server.

For one, on my server, it seems that the close melee distance is alot larger for me than that of the other players in my server. I find myself unable to swoop very often when I am pretty far away from my oppenent. The only way I can swoop is if I teleport back or turn around and swoop the opposite direction. I tested this with a friend at different distances. We would stand just far enough away so that he could swoop, and when we went back to the same postions and I tried to swoop from the same distance, I could not. Instead I had to move back about the distance of one teleport before I could swoop towards him. This creates an unfair advantage to me because if I am close and my oppenent's back is towards me, I cannot swoop at him and rather I have to distance myself more from him before I can attack. People always compliment me on how I never "head-on" when I play, but I got to thinking about that and its more because I cannot swoop from close range.

Secondly, I find it much easier to aim in other dedicated servers than in my own. I mis-hit about 65% more in my own server than in other servers that I ping between 50-100. I have talked to a few people and they say that its the same for them on their own dedicated servers. They said that its because I am the host. Thats the best explanation I can get for this. Someone tell me the real reason why, and maybe some parameters I can edit so that I have the same advantages as the rest of the players in my server.

🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Don't complain about having lan ping lol. The reason your game acts this way is because its the way that esf is meant to be played. Playing with under 20 ping is far worth not being able to swoop from within a teleport range which is most likely just due to the server being able to locate you much easier because your talking to it about 5 times more often than other people. This would also explain how you can hit people easier. All in all you have a huge adavantage over everyone, you can do nothing about it unless you dos yourself, and your complaining about it... Its very confusing...

Best answers
Yep.Scorcher nailed it.
The problems you are seeing are due to the Lag Compensation in the Net code for HalfLife.

It's hard to play against people that have a ping that is more than 50 away from your own.

Best answers
I see both your points. I just wanted to know of a solution, because I can play just as good, if not better, in a higher pinged server. My reactions are good enough that any lag usually doesn't effect me and I also have the ability to use my short distance melee. And you might say "well don't play in your server anymore", but the fact is, its my clan's server and I am the leader. I can't avoid my own server. We do too much stuff there for me to go somewhere else to get my play in. And imo, my ping doesn't do much for me when I'm against the better players. They still whoop me with or without my ping, but they have a few things such as the close distance melee that I don't have. Anyway, if there's no fix for it, then I'll deal with it cuz I've been playing there long enough.

🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Theres no fix and I would love to play with 5 ping...

Force Pit Member
Best answers
So u want higher ping in ur server? i know of a way to get a higher ping... if that's what u want i can help ya there

Go to the esf folder on the computer that makes ur dedicated server, open the autoexec file and type sv_cheats "1" in it. Then make ur dedicated server. join ur server on ur other computer, go into console and type fakelag 1 and u'll get a higher ping....

Force Pit Member
Best answers
Actually u do lag more.... it makes u lag

Best answers
I'd break down and cry if I couldn't handle a 5 ping. When I played at my own server I had ping 0, by all means. EVERYTHING went smooth. Teleporting, movement, fps, it's all solid and nothing else. If you can't even beat someone with a 5 ping, sorry, you suck. If you can't do short distance hits, then keep distance and use that ping of yours to suprise people.

No matter how you put it, if you can't even play with a 5 ping, you suck.

Best answers
Lynxy,

Do not flame or insult other people on these boards.
If you don't have anything constructive to add to a thread then DON'T add to it.

Best answers
Thank you. Lynx has been on my case for just about anything I post. He says its cuz "He's European" and thats how Europeans are.

Well thank you Lynx, you've just stereotyped an entire continent. *congrats*

You can close this thread btw.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom