Background/Sig tutorial.

Best answers
I made this tutorial for both advanced/new users of Photoshop, so it is a bit longer for those who are new. I am sure some others on the forums (esf mainly) use this style for their own personal sigs and artwork. I am not trying to give out your sytle, I was sitting there messing around one day in Photoshop, and came up with a decent background. And for those who are new, please don't rip this from me and say you made this tutorial. Lets get started now.

:: Before You Start ::
Do not add any color to your background until the you have finished. Using colors could make you select a bad blending option, that wouldn't look suitable in your signatures.

Step One:

First create a new document with a size of 400x400 pixels. In this new document, create a new layer and leave it named as "Layer 1".

Step Two:

Select the Gradient tool and set the mode to difference. Set your foreground color to black, and your background color to white. Make sure you have "Layer 1" selected.Then click in one of the corners of the workspace, and drag to the diagonal corner. Click in a different corner, and drag to the diagonal corner. Now click on the left side of your workspace and drag to the right. Then click on the top of your workspace and drag to the bottom. Continue to do this.Doing this will give you a picture like this:

--For New Users Only--

If you are confused by any of these first two steps, please scroll to the bottom of this tutorial and you will find some pictures that will help you out.

Step Three:

After getting your base gradient(s) down, create a new layer above "Layer 1", leave the new layer named as "Layer 2". Select your "Layer 2" and repeat Step Two, but this time try to make this gradient look different from "Layer 1". After you are happy with the results, select one of the layer blending options (Lighten, Color Burn, Linear Dodge, etc.) and blend these two layers together. Use the blending option that you like best. After you have blended them, go to >layers>merge down. Your two layers should be merged into one layer.

Example:

--For New Users Only--

If you are confused by this step, please scroll to the bottom of this tutorial and you will find some pictures that will help you out.

:: Other Steps You Can Take ::

1. You could duplicate your layer, and add filters to it (waves,brush-strokes,etc.) Do what you think looks best, and experiment with different options.

2. Duplicate your layer, and select another blending option for better results. This is up to you

Step Four:

After completing the above step(s) and/or the other steps you could do, you should have only one layer, with all your other layers merged to it. "Layer 1" should contain all of your merged images. Press and hold CTRL and left click on "Layer 1", doing this should make a box around your image. With the box around your image, press and hold CTRL + C to copy this selection. Save your .psd so you can use parts of this background for the Signature tutorial below.

:: Second Part of Step Four ::

With your selection copied, open a new document. Leave the size set as 400x400 pixels. Paste your selection into the new document (doing so will put it on a new layer). Select your new layer, and goto Image>Rotate Canvas> Flip Canvas Vertical. Then goto Image>Rotate Canvas> Flip Horizontal, after it has been flipped/rotated press and hold CTRL and click on your "Layer 1". With the selection box around your image, press CTRL + C to copy your new flipped image.

*Note* The second part of Step Four is taking place in your new document you were instructed to make. *Note*

Step Five:

Now that you have your flipped image copied, close the new document and paste the image in the document with everything blended to "Layer 1". Use the Layer Blending options, to blend both of your image to create a "abstract/pattern" background. After blending, goto layer>Merge Down, and merge both of your layers onto "Layer 1".

Step Six:

Duplicate your "abstract/pattern" background, and go to >filter>stylize>extrude. Use these settings:

After using those settings go back to >filter>stylize>extrude, and use these new settings:

After using the settings, set your duplicated layers Opacity to 30%. After setting the new Opacity, use one of the Layer Blending options, and blend these "spikes" to your "abstract/pattern" background.

After doing all of these steps, you should have a decen't looking background that you can use in your signatures. I make my backgrounds, for later use in sigs. If you are not happy with what you came out with, retry the tutorial and use your imagination a bit. This is the end of the Background tutorial, but please scroll down to the Signature Tutorial.

-- Signature Tutorial --
This signature tutorial was made for anyone wanting to make a decent signature. This Tutorial will only have a few steps, and the rest is up to you. Use your imagination to come up with something new, and something you like.

Step One:

Create a new document (you use the size you like best) and create a new layer, leave it named "Layer 1".

Step Two:

Open the "abstract/pattern" background you just made, and select the Rectangular Marquee tool. Select a portion(s) of your "abstract/pattern" background (use the same widthxheight settings as your sig) and paste them into your new document. If you use more than one selection of your background, blend these together to make something nice.

Step Three:

After you have blended (or didnt) your background, you can open up a picture(s) you would like to use in your sig. Use the Polygonal Lasso tool, and trace a selection around the parts of the picture you want to be included into your sig. Connect the ends of your lasso when you are finished. Once you have traced your selection, press CTRL + C to copy it. Open a new document (leave the default widthxheight settings) and paste your copied image. You can now save this as a .psd for later use.

Step Four:

You can now shrink your image down to the same size as your sig, to do this go to >image>image size. Use your signatures height setting and press okay.
*Note* Shrinking can decrease the quality image, so use a bigger height setting.*Note*. Now you can blend your image by using one of the Layer Blending and blend it with your background. Only blend if you want to. Last thing you need to do is, add some text. Use a nice font that you feel looks best with your background and overall "mood" of the sig.

Use this Signature Tutorial and add other things you would like to it. Use your imagination to make a better looking signature, or to just set it apart from others.

-- New User Help --
Here are some image that will show you where everything is located.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Very nice!

I have copyrighted it for you, so here you go :
Copyright 2003 Cynrix Developement Co.©

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
NOOOOO you just gave away my technique...

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
So long will I read it....

Will If I can undersatnd it thanx, maybe people wont make this a trend...

Best answers
Thats a pretty good tutorial....I expected the outcome a little different...but..its still good

(1 question.....why is ur post count only 1?....u offend esf team or something? lol)

Naz

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
you don't get any posts by posting in the sig section, answers your question.

A pretty good tut, old for me...I used t use it a lot for wallpapers back in september 2002 :p. But it works quite good, you can do a lot of tricks with it. Throw some effects in etc. Often looks great. Good job on (your first?) the tut

grtz Naz

Best answers
Yes first Tutorial, I cam across this one night when I was just playing around. I am already sure somewhere else another person has made this tutorial. But I just figured I would post up what I had came across, and for those who aren't experienced with photoshop. And I plan on leaving esf forums for good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom