what is steam ???

Best answers
i know im not that great at the techno babul so what does it do what's the detfrains between the original and this steam thing. and try to explain why i have to dl it to play esf :cry:

and pleas explain it in non tech terms so the people like me can understand what the heck is going on in the esf world. :S

ps. will this affect the rest of my hl mods :confused:

Best answers
that did not anser my question is it user frindly and they say it has a lot of bugs so is it a good change or a bad one it look realy hard to use. im clueles whin it comes to tecnacal crap like that

Best answers
Orgazmo my friend, steam is a new system replacing the WONID system ... with STEAMID ... in 2 weeks there will be no more WON meaning no playing HL mods online without steam ... soo basicaly we have to download steam and it "updates" HL and all MODS ... at least 500 MB download of uneeded updates ... its also very buggy with crashes and stuff ... some of my friends with XP cant even run it ... to sum it up steam is ...

Now look at my sig ... theres a link to the anti-steam petition ... go sign it ! :D

Best answers
Steam is product from Valve (the makers of half-life) and in few weeks, all Half-Life users will have to download it to be able to play online. This includes all mods for half-life. and well, no one have a say in it so esf will be forced to move on to steam.

Why? you ask! well if i have to answer it i will have to use tech terms. but i'll try: when you play online there must be something to verify your cd-key and to give you the server list and the players ect ect ... right now this thing is WON.net but soon it is going to die and be replaced by Steam, which you have to download when the next half-life patch comes. if you don't download it you will stil be able to play single player, but not multiplayer, because it will try to connect to WON, but guess what? WON will be dead!

so what is steam? well, vavle uses it to sell thier games, and to give you game patches/updates without you having to wander around looking for them on the net.

bad points:
-it has some issues at the moment. But i think when the time comes and you have to use it most bugs wil be fixed. some of these issues:
-you might need to download half-life all over again!!
-program freezes sometimes.
-for some people it just doesn't seem work right at all!
-relativly high system requirments (should be lowered ..)

good points:
-steam downloads updates automatically for you.
-if you have a valid half-life cd-key you will gain access to Op4 and maybe blueshift.
-you can alt-tab without losing sound
-new user interface
-instant messeging even while in games
-bleh .. I dunno. I'm not advertising steam

edti : Wizard's Curse beats me to it :/

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
Well that was the best non-tech explanation i heard. I think i finally get it now... :D

Best answers
thx that help a lot but im an xp user so i pray there is no problems. but if it dont work out i will just get help here hahahah.

Best answers
steam is the program thats gonna break the internet and tottaly **** over every 56k user in the world.........no one on 56k can download a 300 meg steam cache to play counter strike or dod.. stupid vavle should have wawited till it was a perfect product like they did for original halflife.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom