Stricter Kamikazi Penalties

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
How many times have you been swooping up to somebody with 10 health and been the victim of his "I'll just fire my beam into the ground right here and piss you off" antics? I'm tired of it. I know people who do nothing but that if they don't like your playing style. They'll just detonate their beam right next to them, even in mid-air, if it will take you out. Well I say we need to do something about that.

Could the team redesign the PL boost system to reflect a negative boost when a player damaged himself? Whereas a ki blast might add... I don't know, 500 PL or something like that to the player throwing one out, shouldn't he lose like 250 if he fires one right into the ground and hits himself? Or how about 200? 150?

Something needs to happen to deter people from blowing themselves up when they are going to die anyway. It's cheap, and stupid. I don't care if they did it on the show, it gets tiring when people rely on it to get you because you're faster at melee than they are. It's also tiring when people make ki blobs and kill themselves that way to make you angry instead of typing kill, or if they decide to fall from the top of a map and take falling damage to avoid losing a kill even when they deserve to.

When you blow yourself up you should lose a chunk of PL for it. The less people want to harm themselves, the less jack-ass antics they will pull like detonating kames in their face when you teleport behind them to melee. This final-shrine tactic wont just disappear in 1.2, so I say we impose some kind of penalty for it to stop people from abusing it. Sure, it does mean you'll lose Pl if you misfire and hit the ground, or if somebody hits you and your beam hits a mountain right next to you, but those are controversial deaths anyway, and I'm sure you could argue both that they do and do not deserve PL loss for the ways they died, but for the most part it would just detur players from abusing the ability to kill themselves and take somebody out with them.

Any thoughts?

Best answers
So then what if they get into a minute long powerstruggle, or if they've been playing for a while to get a high PL and somebody just joins and all explosions suddenly nuke the whole map? Besides, if this was going to be implemented, 250PL is too miniscule for anyone to care.

Other than that, the point of the game is to kill or be killed. There is a way around it, after-all. Just stop swooping once you see them start to charge up a beam and they'll just hurt themselves.

Also, why it would matter to you that they kill themselves instead of letting you kill them is beyond me. I mean, the extra melee hit isn't that important, just wait until he spawns and then beat him up some more. You also don't get that extra kill point, well whoop-dee-do, kills aren't what's important in video games. You could argue that kills are one of the things that makes the game fun, but the suicider does lose a kill point because of this.

Lastly, this would just kill it for newbies who can't control beams quite as well as the rest of us.

I'd say if this is implemented, up the PL loss and make it optional. Or if it isn't, and it's that important to you, petition it as a server rule not to suicide to get out of a death.

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I would care because, as you noted, I wouldn't be getting the point, and I also would get a registered death. Like you said, the objective is kill or be killed. Somebody is totally removing the whole "kill" part of the objective by intentionally blowing themselves up when you get close to them, and it's stupid. There should be some kind of penalty. I mean, it's like typing kill before you get hit, except that it also kills your opponent.

Best answers
If you have 10 health, it won't matter if you kamikazi.
But people that can't stand it that they're being thrown around like a pillow and start killing themselves with this 'final shine' crap should be punished with a somekind of implented 'punishment'

Ofcourse, if you kill yourself by accident this punishment could be a nuisance.

They should do the PL decrease if the server reads that you keep blowing yourself up.
Say....... 3 times.
If you blowed yourself up three times, you should get a 5% PL decrease or more.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
yeah ... I like this idea ... now I'm starting to code a program which know what you're thinking ... I read that it's possible to see it through a few screen variables ...
then I'm going to tell the coders ... if they include it, ESF will be able to see what you'Re thinking and disables "kill" and selfdmg if you're trying to hurt yourself

realistic:
common ... these things are really needed ... the "kill" command for any errors cause by map or other things ... and without selfdmg it would suck ... then everyone would lame with spiritbomb and shoot to his feet when an enemy nears him

sorry ... it's annoying if a player kills himself ... but it's not possible (yet, huahaha) to know what the player is going to do

the only realistic suggesting is decreasing PL with selfkill ... I would say ... make it to -10% (1Mill --> 900k) ... then they would hold back

Best answers
They could still use the team switch thing. But that could be solved if it takes one point away and adds one extra death to the score just like any other mod.

But 10% is a bit too harsh.

Best answers
I hate people who use the kill command to gain powerlevel. In fact, I consider it cheating, and i make it my job to beat the crap out of them >:)

I also dislike people who just use ki blobs and other suicide techniques again and again and again for the same reason.

But I also think that being able to detonate beams, to hit someone who you just can't get, is a perfectly legal tactic.

Usually it happens because someone is charging a beam, and then all of a sudden some melee player is right in their face, so you let the beam go, detonate straight away and teleport the hell away.

If it's used as an actual strategy to beat an opponent who is better than you, that's cool, if you can make it work. Sometimes, if you just join a server, people have really huge advantages. Whatever works for you to close that gap.

But people who do it just to annoy, so you can't get that last hit, or because they want full hp again..that's just stupid.

*hope this all makes sense, 12:30am posting time*

Best answers
Boohoo, you don't get that last hit, your score isn't risen, WHO THE FARK CARES? You, you because you don't release for every hit you make on him BEFORE he dies, you gain PL.

Xer

Best answers
It might be just me but don't SOME average to good players prefer to commit a solitary suicide someplace private when they're at very low health so the tons of newbs in the server don't go all like "I killed you, I killed you :p you're not so good.", or the newb who just respawned and managed to land a melee on you and kill you going "You suck I killed you in one hit.".

Best answers
i have seen some servers where killing yourself does not effect your record and this guy was like 137-0 and i was like ok hes mine and i was opening a can of whoop ass on him, and in the scouter i saw his PL dropping so i knew he had one hit left and when i was about to make the final blow he kills himself in the console and i dont get a kill and his rec is still 137-0. how lame is that :cry:

Best answers
Uhhhh, there is a way of killing yourself without losing a point.
I'm not gonna tell how though. :rolleyes:

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
But why should I have to lose my PL over someone who decided he wanted to kill himself, while he recieves no penalty beyond what he would have had if I had killed him off normally?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I like your idea. It's really dumb when you're about to beat someone and then *poof* they just bind *beep* and they are dead without letting you even know they died. It doesn't come up that they switched teams, nore does it come up that they died at all. It's pathetic, and there should be somethinig that can make that stop. At least make their score decrease. That would make them look stupid, and people would know that he/she has been doing that.

--------

Reducing damage when you hurt yourself? Is that what you were trying to say Sonic? If yes, then that's also a good idea. Kind of like when someone hit getting hit while transforming, they don't take as much damage as they would when they aren't transforming. Brilliant!

- I'm all for these ideas. It will make the game more enjoyable and fair. :)

Best answers
This sounds like another whining thread to me. I totally agree with Xerf, what about the newbs that brag, and brag and brag when they kill you, just cause you had low health. I'd rather kill myself then let them get in a lucky shot to me kill. Besides, what about the newbs that are just learning the game? It wouldn't be fair to them cause they are just learning the mod, so they are bound to kill themselves lots of times by accident. And why are you whinning about them detonating their beam while you melee them? Beam em back. If they have low health just charge up a generic beam, or a kamemeha or whatever, and finish them off.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It would be very hard to determine retarted suicides from accidents and for the "kill" command, the ESF team should do what the DMZ team did; add a cvar to allow admins to block the "kill" command

Best answers
Or a kick or a class change. ;)
So the guy loses all his PL and has to start all over again.

Best answers
But again, what about as Xerf, mentioned before, the newbs that brag and trash talk you, when you have low health and they get a lucky hit in. If I killed myself, to not allow the pleasure of the noobs trash talking me, why do I have to change class? What if I'm ass kicking and I"ve finally reached super Saiyain? I have to start all over again? I would totally despise that. I would feel better by just typing kill in the console, then by killing myself with a blast. Cause that makes you look kind of stupid. So as Gold Saiyan mentioned before, if you type kill, or kamikaze, how about the ESF team just make your score lower down by -1. So if your a newb and you keep killing yourself by "accident" your score reflects that. Forcing a class change, would be kind of harsh. But if you have to die forcefully, and your a good player, your score will still reflect that.

Xer

Best answers
Erm, it's Xer.

Even if this kamikaze tactic would be unfair, which it ain't (considering nobody hurt themselves in the show without being in a kamikaze mood, or at least as far as I know), these penalties are a little bit harsh. if they want to gain pl by 'kill' 'kill' kill'...-en then a wise admin could just turn the mp_plcatchup to 0 and voila. The cleanset nicest way to solve this would be monodirectional blast explosions on close range. For example: when Nail fought Frieza he once blasted him at near point-blank, the explosion went forward but didn't kill him (or is that not doable on the HL engine?). And about the cvar well that is a good idea. Pardon my mixedup post.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom