New melee system = too easy?

Best answers
If the only thing the defender has to do to avoid every blow the enemy lands is just to press the directional buttons that show on the screen then it looks to easy to avoid attacks imo. the only thing that actually seems to have certain damage guaranteed is the autopunching.

Best answers
Just so you know, thats only combos. They are only one part of the new melee system. There is throwing, and there will be more stuff to be added. Also, its a WIP, so its probobly going to change

Coder - Harsens sidekick
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yeah, I just coded in the sounds last night. We're still working on the base of the system, blocking needs a lot of work.

Best answers
i think the new system is gr8 thin :D.
its alot better then the 1.1 melee(to my opinion of course).
i say leave the melee that way just change the Swoop and add some more nice things:D

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
if you make the combos too easy to avoid no one will use it... everyone will use throw.... or even worse.. BEAMS!!

G-Bear
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
U don`t know if it`s hard or easy.

U`ll need to play it to see of it`s easy :)

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
Or just avoid in case they plan to make it easy or not. If they release it and people will find combo's crap as hell, they'll have to do another release, and that takes time.

Best answers
Yea it doe's look sorta easy but i dont care,its time to woop some bot anus,lol no really eandia has a point.But like that pimp SoulStriker said its just WIP

Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Are you suggesting that the new melee looks easier in comparison to 1.1 melee?

Because I thought swoop-punch was as simple as it could get. :rolleyes:

The Viking
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
2nd, you have to aim for real now, if you want to hit someone. There will no longer be targeting, like in 1.0 and 1.1, this should also spice the 1.2 melee up.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
just get near them and aim in their general direction and you will auto punch them.. then it proceeds to either a combo or a throw, WOW thats hard.....

at least with 1.1 you had to swoop around and catch your opponent off guard. not trap him in a 'duel-like' state where you two duke it out with easily avoidable combos. (i say easily because it looks' DDR-ish, and DDR is very easy to do.)

but then again weve all been playin 1.1 so we are used to its style of play, who knows the new version may be even better. lets give it a shot.
besides, if 1.2 is a total flop im SURE there will be some 1.1 servers still around for you hardcore 1.1 fans.

Best answers
Its silly, of course it wont be too easy, the team knows what theyre doing - if its too easy theyll probably use the randomthing they talked about or simply make the moves show for a less period of time or something like htat, shouldnt be hard to figure out a way if it seems too easy ;) theyre the elite!

Coder - Harsens sidekick
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
(Don't worry, I respect your opinion so i'll keep away from the "Is your head up your ass" statements ^_^)
Pain said:
just get near them and aim in their general direction and you will auto punch them.. then it proceeds to either a combo or a throw, WOW thats hard.....
Like i said in the older melee thread, would it make you feel better if you had to hold onto secondary fire? The charged swoop may not be the hottest idea, but I do like the auto-hit. I always found it kinda retarded to see people swooping into eachother and doing nothing.

Pain said:
at least with 1.1 you had to swoop around and catch your opponent off guard.
Lets get something strait first...
<font color="red">Work In Progress</font>
With that out of the way, who said you can't catch your opponent off guard in beta 1.2? At the moment, it doesnt matter if your blocking, or you hit the guy from behind, same thing. Do we plan to have different effects for hitting the guy from the back/side/if he's blocking? Yes. You see, we're trying to implement something called "The Basics". We're getting the base of the melee system down. Once we do that, we can start spicing it up by implementing all of those extra features. You make the pizza then add the toppings, same thing here ^_^

Pain said:
not trap him in a 'duel-like' state where you two duke it out with easily avoidable combos. (i say easily because it looks' DDR-ish, and DDR is very easy to do.)
Emphasis on the big red words above. Blocking will go under a major remake, i don't think we're even going to keep the same hud set up for it. Right now block is as simple as it can get. Once we get the base of melee done, we will rework blocking, and a lot of other things.

Pain said:
but then again weve all been playin 1.1 so we are used to its style of play, who knows the new version may be even better. lets give it a shot.
besides, if 1.2 is a total flop im SURE there will be some 1.1 servers still around for you hardcore 1.1 fans.
That's something i've been noticing. It's natural for people not to like the new melee system, but I see quite a few people hating it just because it's different. They're in love with the old melee system that took me 48 hours to code, and they just don't want to change. All of their "skills" they spent a year perfecting is going to waste. If the beta 1.2 melee system is a flop, you always have the sv_simplemelee cvar to your disposal.

Pain said:
if you make the combos too easy to avoid no one will use it... everyone will use throw.... or even worse.. BEAMS!!
They wont be too easy to avoid. Like I said above, we'll rework the blocking system until it works.

Best answers
I think the advanced melee system of blocking is perfect. Not only is it simple, but if you find it too easy, or to slow, you can use cvars to change the speed. Let's see if you can block a combo at twice the speed in the demo. I know when I make a sever, it will be set to a pretty high speed! Rock on PCjoe..

Best answers
its good that the blocking is going to be worked on. it should actually take some skill. itll be cool fighting somebody that has good reflexes and they actually seem fast cuz they dodge or block your combos, which would make you do stuff besides combos.

oh, and is there any way to make the combo loadage start during the prepunches. it just seems like they sit there too long.

Best answers
I must say, it looks much more like the anime and I believe it will be very funny to see the guys doing backflips and kicking each other in the face, etc. :D. I love the grappling move too and the demo looks really nice :). All and all, I think you guys are doing a really good job Joe, even more so for people who do it in what little spare time they have to dedicate it.

A couple of suggestions that may or may not have been brought up:

It would also be funny to have some sort of finishing move, such as grabbing someone by their head and then blasting them to pieces. Perhaps it would be the end of a certain combo and only achieveable when your opponent is extremely near to death ...it may be a dumb idea but I think it'd be fun :).

Oh yea, what about incorporating beams into the combos ...that would be a nice effect. You could block it and perhaps deflect it like a punch :). That'd vary it a lot also :).

I really like the idea of the possibilities of DBZ games. With the ever advancing technology and platforms, we may pretty soon be able to have fights like on the movies ...rocks crumbling and craters forming from the conflict on the ground. Well, maybe not that soon :). It is just an exciting prospect.

Anyways, keep up the good work! :)

Best answers
I think the idea of it looking more anime'ish is good. I mean your trying to be like a show, so why not get it so it looks like it. Like somebody above said, you think blocking is easy. LEts make it fast. The system looks good. I'd be extremely happy to see this current WIP put in exactly how it looked..

Best answers
I really dont think we should crit on it just yet lets all take it in-game and check it out for are self:).And pcjoe your a pimp and i love your work your one of the best coders in the half-life community:)

Best answers
well a lot of ppl dont like it and they dont know how to explain y....to me the reason y i dont really like the idea is because it looks to automated...like u autopunch then just sit there and put in buttons then sit back and watch the punches fly...where as in the current system u have to work for the moves/combos u connect with...maybe if u make it so that u start the combo thing while the auto punching is goin on like they said above it would speed the game up a lil and make it seem not so automated

Best answers
And btw can 2 ppl attack somebody at the same time with melee?.Now that would be hard and when trunks doe's a combo doe's he use his sword?.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom