Speed up melee con't (Hibiki you need to take a look at this)

Best answers
This thread is in reference to this thread. http://forum.esforces.com/showthread.php?t=32352

I am not quite sure what cvars are. I know it either stands for client variable or some people say server variable. There are two problems with this. Firstly, if it is a client variable, I can set it to the speed I want. Great. What about the other guy? What if he decides to set his incredible slow? Now I am stuck playing at his meandering pace. Boooo.

If it is a server variable, then I am stuck playing at the server's whim, which will probably find some middle ground that wont make either extremes very happy(and I like extreme speed).

My suggestion is to make a standard speed, and not make it a variable. This isn't just a graphical feature or a keyboard bind feature, this is an important game mechanic, and as far as this is concerned the playing field needs to be level. People learned how to use and thrive with 1.x's melee so far, people will adjust to the speed of the new melee style.

But for those who prefer it slow, here's another idea; make the speed based on pl. The higher it is, the faster you can attack. This would not only give a way to speed up melee, but also give incentive to fight, AND give you a nice gradual learning curve into faster melee. The only down side to this is it would probably give transformed players a greater edge over non-transed players, something the team wanted to cut down on.

This part is for you Hibiki; I think you closed the thread a bit early. You thought I didn't read or knew nothing about the speed cvars and chalked it up to ingorance rather than doubt; partially my fault, but you really didn't take the time to explain it anyway. I obviously did know, and had more to say about it, which is the whole point of a forum. Discussion of ideas. So anyway, if you are going to close a thread you need to make sure the people in the discussion are actually through discussing. What happened was the equivalent of you walking up to a group of people and telling them to shut up in the middle of thier conversation. I know you mean well, and I understand that thread after thread of incessant, mindless babbling gets old, but make sure you evaluate and respond to each thread individually and fairly. Thank you.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
it doesnt matter if u dont know about cvars or not the point is they are they and they change the speed of melee to what u want

there is nothing to discuss when the answer is said and done

u said right there that it should be spead up and when theres already topics and threads about it u dont need to make another one saying the exact same thing

just because it was ur topic doesnt mean its somehow differnt from all the other topics elsewhere it still exactly the same as all the other posts that say speed up melee

Best answers
Hibiki said:
it doesnt matter if u dont know about cvars or not the point is they are they and they change the speed of melee to what u want

there is nothing to discuss when the answer is said and done
I gave two reasons why cvars for speed is a bad idea. So yes, there is something to discuss. Do you know if cvars are client or server side?

Hibiki said:
u said right there that it should be spead up and when theres already topics and threads about it u dont need to make another one saying the exact same thing

just because it was ur topic doesnt mean its somehow differnt from all the other topics elsewhere it still exactly the same as all the other posts that say speed up melee
What other topics? I just did a search in the suggestions forum for speed melee 1.2., the only thread that actually discussed speeding up melee was the one I started that you closed. I know you are used to seeing a huge number of threads on the same topic, but this is a relatively new topic, you need to let it ripen before you pluck it. Go easy on the close button Tex.

Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I dont know much about cvars either, but I would assume they are something that are changed when you make a server.

Abe Froman said:
If it is a server variable, then I am stuck playing at the server's whim, which will probably find some middle ground that wont make either extremes very happy(and I like extreme speed).
So it would be a server variable and all the clients connected to the server would have the same variables set. If you don't like it, then go to a different server. Or better yet, make your own!

Abe Froman said:
My suggestion is to make a standard speed, and not make it a variable.
There is a standard game speed already. It's standard as long as you dont change the variables. So you can either put up with the default speed to melee and charge times, or you can change it in your server, or play in a server that has it changed.

This doesn't seem all that hard to understand, and certainly nothing to make a huge deal about. Remember, this may not be the final form of melee.

Best answers
That's true, but there IS a problem that comes with cvars, and that is the loss of a standard.

Sure, the game will come with a standard. but with the cvars, there's a risk that people will become with the standard system, and just decide to tweak it to their liking. this seems like a great idea at first, since we're all so used to individualism and difference. But then, something like this COULD happen, but may not necessarily:

20 servers
15 of them don't like standard.
5 server go faster
2 servers go slower
3 servers switch it back to 1.1 style
5 servers set it to "hyper dimension" speed
the other 5 stay standard.

So now we go back to the forums, people are asking questions and looking for tips.... but we can't really have a discussion, cuz we're all playing different games. IN some cases, the differences aren't that extreme, yet in others, we might as well be speaking different languages.

Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Apparently people are missing my point...

Regardless of how many different server settings there are, there will always be some (Official ESF servers) that will go with the normal settings.

So if you join a server and the melee is too fast or too slow, dont play in that server. When 1.2 comes out I would guess there will be at least a couple hundred servers.

If you can't find one that plays at the speed you like, make your own game.

Eon

TeeHee
Banned
Best answers
Wow, you are so pessimistic, I'm sure people will have standard servers up, some people in 1.1 don't even know about the mp_melee command :p

The best thing to do is wait and find out how the cvars will turn out, and I'm sure it will be a server variable :p

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You are still jumping to way too many conclusions about how the different servers are going to be set up and executed after 1.2's release and even more to do with the general gameplay. The melee is *not* tweaked it's a WORK IN PROGRESS (WIP) and therefore the speed you saw in the video will NOT be the official standard once the final testing version of 1.2 is passed through the beta testers. You're absolutely certain that the combat will feel like it's the wrong speed for one reason or another but you really just don't know and you should stop judging before you play. It's one thing to speculate it's another to complain over and over about it.

Yes we are talking about server set variables. Yes different servers will have different speeds that you might have to *gasp* adapt to if you want to play there. Adapting to something new never hurt anybody. In fact, I think it might just be a part of the definition of the word "skill." Can you switch melee speeds and stay as good as you were? Well instead of complaining just join another one. Trust me, there will be plenty of extra servers out there when 1.2 rolls around. People will be waiting for it.

Best answers
server cvars are good... but
for those who don't know how to check the cvars before joining a server, when you join a server i think the window that comes up should show server variables so that you know what sort of gameplay you're in for.

Best answers
Sigh... once again, cvars and server settings have NOTHING to do with playing them or adapting to them.

Everyone else is 'assuming' that I think it's awful that someone would have to adapt to one server setting or another. This thread has NOTHING to do with playing the game. Nor does it have ANYTHING to do with seeing the WIP melee. I wasn't even thinking about how fast or slow it goes. My point is that cvars, while 'good', have some negative things that go along with it.

I know that many games come with cvars, but in the end, it's not very helpful if every server I decide to visit is playing a different game. That's my worry. It's not about what I think about the WIP melee, it's just about how many people are going to want to play differently.

Now, it was commented that several servers will have the standard setting running. That's all I needed to read. I hope that is the case, and I hope that I have a good ping there too. That's it. Telling me about adaptation and skill have nothing to do with the concern. *gasp* Some people don't mind changes, others would rather be able to play a group of people under a constant set of rules, being able to visit several servers. 1.1 was good with that. Very rarely, if ever, did I have to worry about whether or not I was joining a server that was tweaked a certain way. That is all. Thank you for your time.

Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It's ridiculous of you to think that just because charge time is changed in a couple servers that you are "playing a different game"

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom