Half-Life/ESF Bug

Best answers
I have a serious ESF problem at hand now. I shouldn't really say "now," as it has been on as long as I have had ESF, but I suppose this is a good time to bring it up. I think I'm not the only one who has this problem, and that is why I ask you : is there a reason my computer repeatedly "knocks me off" ESF after approximately 10 minutes or so of playing? Also, in case that problem is ever solved, I would like to know the proper way to put the route in properties for ESF 1.1. Since it was for Steam (and my Steam is very messed up - it will go to searching for updates and stay there, reinstalling does not help), I did a very rough reroute to Counter-Strike and ESF, which is as follows : C SIERRA\Half-Life\hl.exe -console -game cstrike -console -game esf. (No period in the actual route.) It takes me to Counter-Strike, where I select Mod Viewer and the only game there is ESF 1.1 - it works, I'll give it that much. However, when I go on Multiplayer, Play Online, and attempt to join a server, it gives me a message telling me I can not connect because of a different .dll file. If my Half-Life bug (I say this because my computer knocks me off Half-Life after about 30 minutes, and Dragon Mod Z after about 90 minutse or so) is something that can be fixed - by which I mean going into the computer and sifting something in something or a free download - I would like to know. If I need to take it in or reinstall Half-Life, I would like to know that as well. I appreciate any enlightenment on these bugs - if any additional information needs to be known, tell me and I will do my best to find out.

P.S.: I'm not necessarily a traitor to ESF by playing DMZ - I know for a fact that the staff of ESF shares the opinion that DMZ is only a source of "friendly rivalry," but this postscript is for those who think that people who play both are traitors - as I am actually a DMZ "veteran" somewhat - it was my first game! I suggest doses of both for any diehard DBZ fan ! Once again, I give you my thanks for any help.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
C SIERRA\Half-Life\hl.exe -console -game cstrike -console -game esf.

this should be

C:SIERRA\Half-Life\hl.exe -console -console -game esf
(of course its going to counterstrike if you put it before :p)

Make sure you have HL 1.1.1.0

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
We've got a section called "Coding/ Bug Report" AND one called "Help" ... browse them and you'll find your answer

don make whole posts in another font/ size/ color ... it's just for a few word ...

Shadow ... why did you copy both -console ???

I would suggest to add these parametres:
-console -game esf -noipx -nojoy

Best answers
Okay, for the first, I was told ESF Chat meant anything about ESF - this relates to ESF, as the Half-Life bug on my computer is worst when I play ESF, which makes it an individual characteristic. I am also aware that my route is the reason it goes to Counter-Strike. That, however, is not the problem. The problem is the bug that repeatedly knocks me off. The font and font size I did not intentionally change - I'd saved a previous letter in another forum to Word so I could make a new thread. So far, only the last response seemed to be of any help. Thanks a lot, and keep helping - with my luck, it'll take months to find anything useful :( , but you never know when a good thing may happen. Once again, I appreciate all the help :) .

*EDIT*
Okay . . . I went around and looked at the other threads. Only one seemed to be even remotely related. I checked it out - this guy's crash was different. His computer would "freeze up and cause him to reboot." Mine only takes me off as if you'd closed it on the task bar. They kept telling him to reinstall and get a new video card - I'm clear on both counts. A few months ago, I had a faulty video card or motherboard. It's stupid-sounding, but since I lost one, the other had to be replaced with it. Everything was erased, so I had a new video card and I reinstalled Half-Life. If any of you know anything about this, please tell me. If not, I will spend all night wondering what ESF Forums are actually for - and just put the third thread I'll have to do on this in Help. Sorry if this isn't on topic, but you guys DID click on my thread, and that means you have some interest, misguided or otherwise. I appreciate any help.

*EDIT*
Crud, I forgot one thing - I'm not well versed in computer software, so I'd appreciate it if you put what you could said in layman's terms as best you can without losing your message. Thanks.

🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
What type of "knocks you off" happens. Are you disconnected from the server, closed out of esf, or kicked back to the main menu screen? If you get disconnected from the server saying overflow than thats a radeon issue, if you get kicked out of esf than its commonly caused by a bad install or a bad sector popped up in the wrong place, if you get kicked back to the menu screen than your screwed cause i have no idea.

Best answers
Well, the best way I can describe it I already said, but let me see if I can try to make it easier to visualize. I will wee the window go into the task bar and disappear - I am left at the desktop. There is no freeze, no message, and I am not disconnected as much as it being like I pressed Alt-F4. I hope I've cleared that part up, but I'm confused what you mean by menu screen, Scorcher. If you mean the ESF menu screen, no...but it does take me to the desktop. In a little while, I'll examine my controls and see if maybe I accidentally bound a key to exit somehow. Thanks for all the help, and keep it coming. I'll see what I can do if I reinstall it, but it doesn't seem to be Half-Life, ESF, my video card, or memory. I sure hope I'm wrong, though . . . thanks again.:)

Best answers
This isn't all that good . . . I hate posting after myself, and I think it's against regulations, but so far I've kept it to one a day, and if I don't get any replies after a while, I 'll just shift to the "Help" section. I REALLY appreciate if any of you will help, especially Nretep or Scorcher, because you guys seemed to be the most "professional" so far. However, if anyone reading this has any help to offer whatsoever, please tell me so that I can solve this rather nasty little bug that prevents me from enjoying one of the best Dragon Mods out there. Once again, I appreciate any help that can come my way. :)

🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If its just exiting you out than it definnantly sounds like a file got corrupted somewhere down the line. Try reinstalling and downloading the updates again. Don't use the setup files that are on your computer already if thats what you have already tried. I say to try reinstalling because I've had this problem happen before with 1.1.

Best answers
Dang weird, yet i didn't read everything, yet i think it is the so called software mode bug.. If you haven't already, put the display mode at OpenGl and make sure you have your video drivers up-to-date.

Sorry if i read over the information but it was quite hard to read.

Best answers
I'll try reinstalling it - however, I think it's Half-Life I have to reinstall, because the bug works on everything. When I have time today or later this week, I'll try it. Thanks, Scorcher.:cool:

Best answers
Still haven't done it...someone kick me - right now.
Lost, your page 0wnz - how did you get Halo 2 out so quickly? Must be where I live. Hope this thread doesn't get removed because I just said that.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Is it still with all mods or just ESF?

Make sure you have HL 1.1.1.0 maybe you didn't update when you installed.

Do you have Steam?

Maybe it decided to be *** on your WON files.

Best answers
To sum up suggestions:
:: Make sure u have the current vers. of HL/CS
:: Change your video setting from Software to OpenGL (my problem as well when I first installed)
:: Try reinstalling =\ although you've already done this

From what it sounds, its your video settings. My suggestion is to change your video settings to OpenGL at either 800x600 or 1027x768 resolution and then go to the thread with the FPS tweaks and replace what you have in your file with what is posted on the forums. You're problem could be your cl_rate or some other cvar that is calculating data either too slow or too fast. Or it could have an invalid input value for the cvar variable.

I think the tweaks thread is stickied on this forum but the fast way to find it is the Help section off the www.esforces.com site.

Best answers
Nretep said:
We've got a section called "Coding/ Bug Report" AND one called "Help" ... browse them and you'll find your answer

don make whole posts in another font/ size/ color ... it's just for a few word ...

Shadow ... why did you copy both -console ???

I would suggest to add these parametres:
-console -game esf -noipx -nojoy
You really are stupid X.x;;;

His problem doesnt concern -NOIPX/-NOJOY, Whats he's doing is hes going into CS from half-life so he can play ESF. The only way possible of doing that is if he was going through the mod version. You need to use the retail version to play ESF on CS.

"hl.exe -console -game ESF" is all you need. Reinstall Half-life, download the update (1.1.1.0) from FilePlanet, uninstall ESF.

Download Beta 1.0 (NOT 1.1) then download the 1.0-1.1 patch. These ESF files can be found at ESF Files Page..

Oh, and Nretep -- a font isnt just for a few words, it can be used for anything. Dont preach your crappy way of living onto others. We dont need a "mini-nretep".

Seph~

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom