Can't Host

Best answers
I have noticed that I have never been able to host a game on ESF, halflife, counterstrike or any other mod. I am able to join other ppls games and am able to start my own but when i do that, my game doesn't come up on the list. I was wondering why this is happening. My guess was that my computer's firewall is blocking it maybe. I have Windows XP which is connected by a network hub to my other computer that is windows 98. I can host games off of the 98 one but not off of the fast computer on xp. Any ideas??

Old School
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
well i know that when some people dont configure their firewall, it stops people from connecting to their server. you should try to open the firewall up, and look for a way to give Half-Life access to the internet so people can join your servers.

other than that, i dont know what the problem is.

Best answers
ya thx. Thought that was the problem. Sadly i'm not a techno genius so i have no idea how to configure the firewall to allow me to host games. Anyone got any technical knowledge on this sort of thing?? The network hub is by a brand called D-Link if that helps.

Best answers
Hmmm... i would say that it was XP becuase they automaticly enable a built in fire wall but your behind a router. hmm... What's the model number of the D-Link?

Best answers
How would giving you the model number help?? Wouldn't that just make it easier for u to hack into my computer??(Not much there anyway) Anyway, i don't know which one is my model number. There are 4 sets of numbers on the hub itself and I can't find the box for it.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It wouldn't be XP, i have XP and people can find my server. I used to have the same problem with my firewall, but i just changed the security from High to either medium or low and people could find it.

Best answers
Well, I went into my internet options and changed the security to Low but I still can't get ppl to find my game. Anyone got any other ideas on how to help. Configuring the network or firewall or w/e sounded like a good idea but I have no idea how to do it.

Best answers
I also use d-link and i just wanted to know if its the same model.

Best answers
Akcsfreak said:
I also use d-link and i just wanted to know if its the same model.
Don't worry I believe you but I still don't know which number is the model number. Could be : 10BASE-T ethernet hub or DE-805TP.
Still looking for help here since I am really getting sick of joining other ppl's games.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom