STEAM IS SO ***

Best answers
k.. i think the steam team needs to sit down sort out all the *** bugs. I play for 20 minutes i get off.. try and get back on and it says checkign for udpates for liek 15 minutes then just closes. Is anyone else able to get on steam right now? EVEN THE STEAM SITE IS DOWN :mad::mad::mad:

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Calm down Gohan, everyone knows Steam is lame, VALVe screwed up CS. And then
they manage to go out by screweing up all the other mods. Which is why I dont play
CS anymore. But thats aside the point... the point is, your right, and I dont think
anyone here would disagree with you! So just be happy... ok?

Best answers
I hate it because it doesn't accept my cdkey :(

Best answers
Sorry. I am calm. lol I didnt mean to sound all BAH BAH **** lol. Im just saying they are so dumb because they cant take th etime to sit down and solve all the problems at once. Instead.. they send out a patch witch they think will fix one problem wich in fact creates 100 more

Oh and feel free to come to my ESF server on steam :)

24.153.60.217:27015

Best answers
I like STEAM... It's great, I like the buddy list and stuff, and it does auto-updates. Hasn't failed me yet.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
the theory behind steam is good. but put into action its horrible.

the ingame instant messaging, easy cheating with a friend.
the minimize fix so you can keep your sound, easy cheating with a friend.
the fact that you have to log into the steam servers in order to play a game is just.... wrong. what happens if you want to play a single player game? or a lan game? what happens if your internet is down because of some fault in your service provider. you cant play because you cant log on.

its buggy, its updated a lot, its getting better. but right now its still a buggy POS and it probably will stay that way for a while.

Best answers
Ya I agree. . . One thing. I dunno if someone can explain but.. why cant people on steam play with people on regular valve. (I mean just third party games example ESF)

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Steam is a great thing when it works. You're all just afraid of changing over to something new, or you haven't read any of our Steam stickies. ESF works just fine on Steam, as do most other mods, you just have to know how to set them up. Don't talk trash about Steam before you read up on how to fix your problems, and realize that it's still a relatively new system that isn't yet mandatory.

@Pain: You don't think the same cheating could be accomplished by roger wilco or calling each other on the phone?

Best answers
Steam is still beta somehow, even though it's supposed to be non-beta now, but it actually still is. WON is still alive. So if you don't like steam just go back to old WON till it works for you.

personally steam works great for me (for the most part). I love it.

they cant take th etime to sit down and solve all the problems at once
I think they spend all thier time tryig to fix steam.
Plus, you don't/can't fix all your problems at once. it's impossible. if it was possible then all the software/programs/games/whatever in the world would be bug free :p

🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Steam is a peace of crap. ESF doens't work properly on steam because you can't target right off as most have noticed. They have finally updated it so that its semi decent and so that everytime it does a patch it doesn't ask for a cdkey and make you reinstall everything. Not only that but they added the anti cheat confirmation which in itself kills any 56ker out there who was trying it. There are so many flaws in steam and in cs1.6 its not funny but the sad thing is we might all be there very soon. With the won servers going up and down recently i wonder how long till it goes down...

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
well sonic im not saying it doesnt happen, but with the new addon/fixes it will be much more obvious to people and more widely used.

Best answers
haha wow, i leave for a little while, and i come back, and the first thread i see, im actually agreeing with Sonic. (Now a Canadian Team has to win the stanley Cup and all the signs of the Apocolypse will be complete)

I dunno, i play more DoD and CS then esf lately, and i dunno, i actually prefer Steam. I find alot more servers in my area with low pings and the whole cheating with a friend thing??? I dunno, somehow, bein able to talk to your friends doesnt seem like cheating to me.

Best answers
I think valve is lucky having HL2 in their clutches , without that ... the old half life would die cause of steam , i just dont get it , never change a working system , valve did ...and about the half of whole community hates it ~ but right now , there is no turning back valve will use steam in further games for 100% ... and you can count on it , in future you´ll have to pay using steam . Also steam is still spying your machine as far it cans (ok its not very far right now ...), and just look about the commercials in a game , what the **** is going on ? Your connection to server : house of pain , is provided by : Flowers Shop ~ And this huge ammount of bugs , my opinion is : steam is just ridiculous , look at blizzards battle.net ~ this is a great way of connectiong people online to share the game ...

AGAINST STEAM :fight:

I'm against evading the swear filter, make valid arguments, not literary pollution. Do it again, and I will have words for you like warning and ban.
Cucumba
Forum Administrator

G-Bear
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
3 people of my clan stopped playing cs cause of steam.

So I really hate steam and I'm also thinking of stopping playing CS(and other hl mods), purely due steam.

And u say that Steam works perfectly with mods?

Don't make me laugh, you can`t change your controls ingame :\.(With most mods)

And some just don't work :\.

Best answers
Btw - Who cares about 56k'ers they shouldn't try for steam anyways :p

I dunno. Just one thing that majorly pisses me off about steam is that I cannot play with WON users on thirdparty games. I mean its the same version game and all.. I dunno. I thik there should be a sticky of all ESF STEAM users so they can al lget together and play.. unless there already is? if there isn't Someone wanna suggest it? Because everyone is complaining endlessley that there is no servers on steam. I myself can host... I dunno if anyone else can. I can do it good for 3 v3... so to start off my account info if u wanna add me :p

E-Mail - [email protected]
Username - Xx-UnKnOWn-xX
Firstname - Elvariand
Lastname - Draet

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I can't stand two arguments.

1.) Steam is a piece of crap because it doesn't work right for me.
2.) Steam ruined CS.

Both are bull**** arguments. You may have a personal vendetta against Steam for having to sit around for 30-60 minutes while it dowloaded multi-megs of updates the first time you installed it, but the truth is that Steam works most of the time for most games, and it is only a matter of time until they can make it run stable enough that people stop complaining.

When it comes to Counter Strike I'm damned tired of hearing people moan month after month after month because "X patch ruined CS!" "0m6!1!! X.xx meyd CS kr4p!" I have heard the same argument EVERY SINGLE TIME CS has EVER updated from one patch to another with the exception of the shield bug fix patch. Word to the wise: CS is going to update once in a while, and when it does you need to just accept what you're playing, and not dwell on it for months.

I don't know how many people I've heard ***** after each and every single patch, but you know what the funny thing is? They keep playing. They just use it as an excuse to ***** about something so that they can say "oh my friends quit playing because x.x sucks." You know your friends are going to start playing again in a matter of weeks if they ever actually did quit. People don't just get up and leave CS for a patch or two. Sure, some people do, but then they always seem to come back, which is why CS is still the most popular Half Life mod on the market.

Stop trashing Steam and stop trashing CS because the arguments are getting incredibly old and there isn't a whole lot to back them up.

Furthermore, the argument that 56ks are being discriminated against by Steam due to the way it forces you to keep connected all the time with huge downloads is valid, but unwarented. Broadband has been out for many years now, and it costs less than ever. If it isn't available in your area than I'm sorry, or if you can't convince your parents to upgrade that's a shame, but should the entire system come to a screaching halt just because of you? Just because you're stuck in the 1990s doesn't mean that all progress being made on new and old games should have to wait for you to play catch up. If nothing else this will encourage you guys to get off of your ass and start making twenty or thirty bucks a month to afford a cable or dsl connection and stop trying to throw a wrench in the system just because you're slower than the rest of us. And, like I said before, it's a shame if you can't attain these broadband services because of your location, but I'm sure that the majority of these players can, they simply don't want to pay the extra cash to upgrade.

Coder - Harsens sidekick
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
hah, interesting post. I was going to make a really large responce, but Sonic Boyster's post covered most of it, thanks ^_^...
Edit - Hmm, looks like it's a very large responce anyways, lol

To get things strait, the targeting problem is NOT caused by steam, it's caused by admin mod. Go on a won server with admin mod installed, you'll get the same problem.

Steam is a little buggy, but once you set everything up, it works very well. I personally can't stand the won system. The window support is horrible, the startup GUI looks like someone programmed it with their ass crack, etc... I remember when I tried to launch half-life w/ won constantly, it would just lock up and have a "Loading" screen. Pos...

pain said:
the fact that you have to log into the steam servers in order to play a game is just.... wrong.
That's the only thing i dislike about steam. If your internet is up, it takes less then acouple seconds to connect to the server and launch the game. All in all it takes less time to create a game, saying you have to go through your 15 slow ass menus w/ won.
If my cable is down, I can't code, which does piss me off... Maybe they'll allow offline support in the future.

Son Gohan, you seem to be doing a lot of complaining without knowing much of anything about steam.
Son|Gohan said:
I dunno. Just one thing that majorly pisses me off about steam is that I cannot play with WON users on thirdparty games.
Do you know WHY you can't play on the same servers? They use different CD Key systems + master servers I believe. When you see someone connect to a steam server, you see a message in the console pop up about it validating their STEAM ID, not their won id. Your steam ID is linked with your steam account, so it prevents 15 people from using the same cd-key.
I guess we can relate it to the European Union's switch of currency. Now, is it easier to use one currency, or have each country have it's own currency? If i lived in europe, I would prefer to spend one currency in the countries rather then go to the bank and constantly convert my money.

Devion said:
3 people of my clan stopped playing cs cause of steam.
That's sad, you have some lazy clan members :(

Devion said:
So I really hate steam and I'm also thinking of stopping playing CS(and other hl mods), purely due steam.
That's also a sad excuse ^_^ Valve specifically said they'll only remove WON when most of the player base converts to steam. No one is forcing you to use a "buggy steam" anytime in the near future.

Devion said:
And u say that Steam works perfectly with mods?

Don't make me laugh, you can`t change your controls ingame .(With most mods)

And some just don't work .
Don't make me laugh, your lack of knowledge about steam is halarious. Every small problem you guys bump across with steam - "OMFG, Steam sucks! They made my clan members quit, and i can't play my games!" How about WON's problems? I don't see anyone complaining about those, probably because we've come to accept how much it sucks and move on.
Steam seems to have a slightly different key setup. You usually have to download a steam pack to add correct key support (which a lot of the popular mods have). When you're actually ingame though, the mods work fine. I'm not too sure how it all works, so i'm not exactly sure how you would get it working w/o a steam mod patch.

-Bones- said:
I think valve is lucky having HL2 in their clutches , without that ... the old half life would die cause of steam , i just dont get it , never change a working system , valve did ...and about the half of whole community hates it
What does HL2 have to do with steam?
Oh, I have get steam because HL2 is comming out in 1/2 a year -_-
No offence to the community, but does most of the "community" consist of? Bingo, bunch of idiots who can't tell the difference between software and open gl / unable to change their resolution / wonder why people can't connect to their LAN game. If you asked most of them to manually copy a mod from their regular half-life folder to their steam half-life folder, they probably couldn't. Why? They probably don't even know how to get into tehir Program Files folder, let alone find out where steam actually installed. Ontop of that, they wouldn't bother using a "search" function on a forum to find out where it's located.

Focusing on the...
never change a working system , valve did
Working system, LOL! You're a funny guy ^_^ How can you call a system that lets 15 people play with the same CD Key, has a slow ass interface, and can't even minimize without loosing sound and ****ing the game over a WORKING system? Oh, let's not even start about making a game in open gl mode, you still have 1/2 of the multiplayer GUI covering covering your screen. You have to press ESC after you make a game, every time. Do you know how annoying that is when you have to compile code and run the game constantly trying to fix bugs? You probably dont ^_^ Like I said above, only reason you guys arn't complaining about WON is that you've come to accept it's countless amount of bugs. If steam was the standard, and then they replaced it with WON, I'm sure you would be doing a lot more complaining.

-Bones- said:
Also steam is still spying your machine as far it cans (ok its not very far right now ...), and just look about the commercials in a game , what the -f U c K- is going on ? Your connection to server : house of pain , is provided by : Flowers Shop ~ And this huge ammount of bugs , my opinion is : steam is just ridiculous , look at blizzards battle.net ~ this is a great way of connectiong people online to share the game ...
Aight, the first part of that is just bull**** ranting -_-
Do you have a problem with the game loading? It's just showing the content provider. Oh, did you prefer that black screen with "loading" on it? Or did you just think valve could pull ~2,800 mbpsof bandwidth out of their ass?
I don't use battle.net, I hate most of the blizzard games, but that's irrelevent.. Battle.net seems like Irc and a master server to locate games. I don't think a battle.net type thing would work too well with half-life, and other FPS games. Steam is a great idea, just give them som time to work out the bugs. Till then you're free to use won.

Best answers
Well , you will see , HL2 is the absolut mother of steam , ever played the beta ? HL2 is steam relatet for 100% ~ and the part with : working system , i was talking about the system to get connected , well the stuff steam did with the engine and old sound bugs n stuff is great so far , but im sure you kinda missed the meaning ~ well about the commercials , come on ... most of other games are still working too without that , if i am going to play a game , i want to slip into another world having fun , not being stressed with some commercials ~ they have nothing to do with the game !!! Well thats just my opinion ...

Coder - Harsens sidekick
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
[SoB]-Bones- said:
Well , you will see , HL2 is the absolut mother of steam , ever played the beta ? HL2 is steam relatet for 100% ~ and the part with : working system , i was talking about the system to get connected , well the stuff steam did with the engine and old sound bugs n stuff is great so far , but im sure you kinda missed the meaning ~ well about the commercials , come on ... most of other games are still working too without that , if i am going to play a game , i want to slip into another world having fun , not being stressed with some commercials ~ they have nothing to do with the game !!! Well thats just my opinion ...
HL2 is steam related, you're right. Now, when is HL2 comming out? The ETA is what, in 5 months? I think steam will beable to fix quite a few bugs in that time span. And from what i saw, HL2 works on steam just like HL1 does, so it's not a big jump.
With the "to get connected" part. If won goes down, same effect, you can't connect or make servers. But then again, won has had countless years to get their simple **** stable. Steam is new, MUCH more advanced then won, so ofcourse it's going to be down from time to time. Like i said, by the time valve forces you to use steam, it will be pretty stable.
The commercials, what game works like steam? You usually have to download the patch from an alternate location like fileplanet or filefront. Do "most other games" use their OWN bandwidth? Steam downloads it all for you, using THEIR bandwidth. Most games don't have 2,800 mbps of bandwidth to dish out updates, videos, and even full games.
Like I said above, where do you think the bandwidth comes from? Valve can't magically pull that kind of bandwidth out of their ass without having some form of advertisement.
Really man, if a little box saying "Content provider blah blah blah" stresses you out while you take acouple seconds to load the game, steam is the least of your problems. Surprised you're not complaining about the advertisments on ESF's page too.
I could see if it was like IGN. You click on a page and then you have this huge page of an advertisement, and you click to continue. With steam, it's just a little banner in the loading box, it doesn't bother the player in any way, shape, or form.

Best answers
Well ok youre right , but valve shouldnt have their steam started with that amount of bugs hmm ? Does someone got any idea why they kept up the "early" release date ( i´ll just remember that server action in the first days of steam ^^ ) --> that steam is spying you pc stuff , i heard from a friend , he was complaining about that it takes 15 minutes , just to check login datas , so he told me that steam is uploading some data from the home machine , well i believed him but if you say he´s wrong ... okay ~ i personaly got no clue . But i thouhgt halflife was one of the best and most well working games , and POW things suddenly changed ... got 2 original cd-key´s but none is working ... im still mad at steam ;(

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom