If ESF maps were larger

Best answers
I know the limitations of the HL engine, but what if maps were larger? It would be amazing to see something as big as west city(ESF_city isn't that great/big) in ESF at full scale. Then it would be interesting, mixing it with the 1.2 engine with all the mobility that multi-direction swooping and wall jumping adds. It would then be like the DBZ episodes, where the city is so damn huge, that it would take a while to find an ally or villian. I wonder if there would be any way possible to make maps larger, maybe by making models much smaller then zooming in the camera(I don't know if that would work or not, but it seems like it has already been done to ESF once before).

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
maps are big enough... its a pain in the butt to find someone on the guru map....

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Not big enough? Try the ape_city map..

God that's huge..

ESF Head Team Mapper
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🍂 Regular
Best answers
maps are already 4x size of normal hl maps (actually they are not bigger but the player is just 1/4 size so the map appears bigger)

The Duke of Juke
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
SsJ-SonGohan said:
I wonder if there would be any way possible to make maps larger, maybe by making models much smaller then zooming in the camera(I don't know if that would work or not, but it seems like it has already been done to ESF once before).
Bingo. That's exactly what has been done. Can they do it more? not sure. I don't think it's really needed though... I think the maps are large enough.

Best answers
Hrm the problem will occur that when a map increases the already fital fps will drop even more.

it's already a pain in the butt for most people.. why make it even worse?

The Viking
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
And besides, most maps are allready using hl's maximum map size. The maps can not become any bigger, unless the team scales the models down even further, wich i highly doubt, they would have to create new dragonballs, new map-parts, etc.

Best answers
I'm sure they could scale the models down more, but I wouldn't see the point. The games supposed to be a DBZ mod, not a bleedin' giant game of hide and seek.

Best answers
Maps are big enuf, maybe esf_namek could be a little bigger. But yea, all the other maps are big enough, would be cool if they were bigger tho. Just not THAT necessary

The Viking
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If the scouter would work different then now, it would work.

Now you see a flat pciture from above, now, make the scouter a bit bigger.
It would have to work the same way as in the show, if the opponent is not in your sight, then an arrow would replace the dot in the scouter and indicate in wich direction your opponent is, then you could also see if your opponent is underneath or above you.

That way searching for an opponent shouldn't be a prob at all.

Best answers
Yeah I have played Ape_city, and that was a good map. Any how, I think large maps would work well if they implemented that 1 strong villian vs many weak good guys mode that there has been talk about(although most have been just suggestions, but a mode like this would be real fun). The good guys would have to find the villian in the large city, and wouldn't be able to use radar. This way it would be difficult for the good guys to find and gang up on him.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Scruffie said:
The games supposed to be a DBZ mod, not a bleedin' giant game of hide and seek.
Couldn't have said it better myself.
The game can't well support servers with many people (I have an upper medium-end gaming machine I'd say, but whenever I join servers with about 10 or more people active my FPS is far too low).
Effectively making maps appear larger, even with changing the scouter, would just make it more of a hassle to find people.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom