ESF getting to big for 56k download.

Best answers
108 MB is to large for my 56k connection. Is there another way to obtain it? Are you going to put it on a CD and mail to those who want it?

Old School
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
download it overnight or somethin, then when you wake up, sign off the internet or whatever needs to be done. or you can go get a download manager, could help speed it up. i used download accelerator plus when i downloaded esf 1.0 (i was using a 56k modem)

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
best thing to do is have your friend download it for you and burn the installer... but then again 56k is old school bro, broadband is where its at :rolleyes:

oh yea, everyone is just made of money huh? :p - Magus

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yeah but some people cannot get broadband, I couldnt until last october :eek:
Best bet with 56k is to use a download manager like flashget so you can keep getting bits and pieces now and again, and resume it from where you left off.

ESF Head Team Mapper
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🍂 Regular
Best answers
http://halflife2files.com
you can add files from their database to a cd and they burn it for u and send it then. but i dont know how that works and i think u need to pay a bit for the blank cd and shipping costs.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
BU-Master Roshi said:
108 MB is to large for my 56k connection. Is there another way to obtain it? Are you going to put it on a CD and mail to those who want it?
You'll have to live with it (I do, and yes im on 56k). I remember when mods
like CS and AHL were only 20-40mb's...

Best answers
Do you think it'll be on any games magazines? I haven't seen it on any so far...

Best answers
Maybe, if you have a 56k connection, you could go to an Internet-café somewhere at your location and download it there.

The only thing is that they need to have a CD-burner in one of their computers.

Best answers
things are just getting bigger and bigger
wonder how long until dsl just isnt fast enough for downloading stuff :p

Best answers
I'd have to agree that a friend would be the best way to go.

If for some reason you have no friends (or whatever) you could possibly get someone from on the forums to do the same thing for you, if you're willing to pay for the postage.

And since it's in Effigies sig, YES AUSSIES RULE you all.

Best answers
pay afew dollars for delivery and im sure someone will mail it to you

Best answers
yea i got a 56k same problem here i got download accelerator plus it didnt do **** maybe i didnt use it right . welll anywhay i got my rich mexican friend with cable net to download it for me and put it on a cd. let me give you a tip its good to have lots of friends especially rich ones haha.

Best answers
DL's on 56k can suck, but anything under 200mb's isn't so bad.

I've DLed 400+mb files in the past, all it takes is alittle time and effort; especially if you want it.

100-150 megs takes about 4-6hours at rates between 4.7kbs and 5.7kbs. If your 56k connection is slow or lags, get a connection utility like Befaster or NetMonitor to help keep you connection speed consistant.

You'll definitely need a download utility. Although Download Accelerator is the most efficent tool I've used for downloading, it's also the most problematic. If your not carefull the it will embed itself with internet explorer, forcing you to use it for every download. I personally prefer GetRight, just using the it's standard feature, none of the special 4-5 source downloading. It's quite reliable and wont screw around with Internet Explorer.

You should also find a good site to download from. Some sites give you a limited amount of -start- time to download a file (fileplanet's free service), so if you like me and like to pause downloads to play alittle HL, e-mail, or download something else, you'll need to find another site that will let you continue a download even if you paused it hours/days ago. The site filemirrors is helpful in the area of multiple links for a mod download.

Once you have your connection and download utilities, pick the site (the lets you resume downloads) your gonna download from and start the download. While it's downloading, clean up you bedroom, do some work, play another videogame (offline), or listen to some music. If you on one phone line and the connection gets cut due to a phone call (call waiting), you can always reconnect and resume the download. To disable call waiting put the *78 prefix at the beginning of the dial-up number.

With everthing set you'll have that 100+ meg file in no time.

Getting it through burning is a very good method because you get the file fast and have it archived on the CD, but it could become a hassle going to your friend for all your downloading needs. Plus, sometimes you'll get errors because of the CD quality and burn in speed. Hopefully if you use the CD burning method, you'll use the whole CD (all 600-750mbs) and use the slowest burn in speed.

Best answers
Well once you download the full esf installer, the updated versions usually have just a patch that isn't quite as big...

else...

You could pretend that you are playing esf :) That way you can go ssj4 if you wish, and there are no HOWs. Anything is possible with the right imagination :talk: :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom