Offline Steam Update

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well just letting you guys know, on Wednesday Steam is adding a patch that contains:
  • Offline Play
  • Account validation (via e-mail)
  • A new Half-Life 2 hardware survey
  • Support for purchasing games through Steam

The most notable (for me) is Offline Play. This will mean for all of you people that play on LAN (because have no\bad internet connection). Now you can play on Steam without it. Nothing real important, but I thought I'd point it out, because people have been whining about how they can't play offline with Steam. Well now there is no excuse!

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ok i wanted to ask this a long time WHAT IS STEAM?
i heard a lot about it but i dont know what exacly it is

Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
www.steampowered.com

Steam is Valve's broadband infrastructure for server listing, game updates, content, etc. All delivered at high speed. It's the future of ALL valve related gaming.

-Karrde-

Best answers
KarrdeKNR said:
www.steampowered.com

Steam is Valve's broadband infrastructure for server listing, game updates, content, etc. All delivered at high speed. It's the future of ALL valve related gaming.

-Karrde-
Unfortunately. It's also pretty unstable at times, servers will kick out huge groups of players sometimes for what seems like no reason whatsoever. This is known as getting "steamed".

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
thanks i went to the page (you just helped a guy out of a maze:D)

Best answers
Steam had it's problems at first, but it has made a great comeback. I haven't had a problem at all with Steam for the last 4 months. Steam is now in my oppinion much better than Won, and if servers kick you out that is the HLDS and server configs fault. You might get kicked on join because of reserved slots that weren't fixed from the config, and instead of saying Slot Reservation it just says Kicked when you try to join.

Steam is fast, and they are fixing a lot of their stuff and adding on a lot of stuff. They are patching games and the engine constantly. I think Valve made a good move but their modivation for it was because of HL2, they wanted a new Multiplayer Engine too. They did rush into it though I must admit, it should of stayed beta for much longer. If you don't have Steam, I reccomend you make the move NOW not later, because Steam is fine, it's stable, and it's the future to all Valve games.

There are ESF Servers on Steam, and I know there is a very fast west server and a very fast east server. More and more people are switching to Steam so more and more servers are appearing. The Earth League is switching to Steam too I think. Make the switch, it's not hard.

I am happy with the Steam update, and their are many more to come.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
dont spam or i kick joo in the nuts

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
This update also means the end of WON, and I say Thank GOD! No more lamers staying on WON.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Are you serious! That's great for all mods, to not have their community split into two pieces and complaining about lack of servers. So all you WON users, get Steam now!

Sound Artist
Best answers
This sucks though, i can't update because of their busy servers thus i can't play anything that has to do with HL.

CM

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Im still using won, however this last update killed it. Steam crashes my system.

Best answers
Steam shouldn't be crashing your system unless its a complete pos.

This update is going to shut down WON then? very nice.

I laugh at all j00 who haven't updated to steam... it'll be hrs before u will get thru to a mirror =P

BTW, Steam's website is down currently and the esf servers are giving invalid ticketID errors (code 31). Just due to the update I'm sure, but must be a huge step.

Best answers
ya..im sure the reason y the servers are havin probs is because of the steam clients not bein updated yet...hopefully some of the server admins/owners notice and fix it soon

Best answers
I suppose only a handful of people had Steam during its first public release....:\

Apparently, all the servers were swamped, Steam kept on breaking itself for sometime, and there was barely enough bandwidth to help udate every client that was connected, and there were like about 10,000 clients at the time (in fear of WON shutting down early, which it didn't)

It now happens again. Don't worry though, it will eventually fix itself.

BTW, some of you will *inevitably* get errors that require you to reinstall Steam. I don't know how that happens, but I'm seeing a few bug reports on it, so keep an eye out.

One more thing....this thing won't shut down WON yet, it has to be good enough to work so that WON can be shut down, and we won't have to run a program that is extremely bugged to play HL.

--------------------

Invalid UserID tickets are caused by Steam not registering your email to your CDKey properly....

Use the Resend validation email option in your settings menu to fix it.

Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yeah, anyone who's having probs with steam should simply delete it, vaporize its registry keys, and reinstall. It doesn't take much in the way of sys reqs to run steam.

-Karrde-

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom