Team ESF: Are you all high? Or just stupid?

Best answers
Im sorry but once I read the post that ESF is going to live and die on the HL1 engine I got very angry. Do you not even think of the possibilities you could have with the HL2 Sourge engine?????

Destructible terrain.
GREAT Physics
Much better models/animations to work with

There's so much to the HL2 engine you could use and play with....Dear lord, WHY is it a NO on the HL2 engine?

Super Moderator
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You know why they did it? Just to piss you off, that's why, congratulations. You should feel special, it looks like their job here is done. :rolleyes:

Retired Forum Staff
Best answers
This mod was created by people who wanted to give something to the Half-Life Community. This is a gift and you should feel happy to get it (or don't, thats not the point.)

They have lives to get on with so once they are fully satisfied with this project (which is theirs first and foremost) they will abandon it as all mods must be abandoned. There will be other HL2 mods, perhaps there will even be other DBZ HL2 mods. But this one will end as it started, a modification to the classic game that is Half-Life.

Best answers
be grateful it's for free you dumbass, why do you care if it's not for hl2? and why do you call them stupid? i think they know what they're doing a lot better than YOU do

Best answers
hl2 mod? hl2 isn't even out, unless you download the beta in which case yere a 5734lin9 n008

Best answers
The ESF team isn't stupid. If they ever see a need to change engines, then they will. It's their game and they can do whatever the flip they want to. If they want to take the game to the Duke3D engine, then that's what they'd do.

Another thing is, HL2's not out, nor is the SDK. I'd rather they work on the HL1 engine for a while, even after HL2 comes out, just so we'd have something to play. Would you rather them halt everything and wait for HL2? Think.

Sit back and enjoy something you pay nothing for. Check my sig.

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It's a free game... what are you *****ing for? It isn't like the team lied to you and didn't account for it like the guys over at SOS. The team can change its plans as it feels like it should. Back when the team decided they wouldn't port there wasn't all that much information about the Half Life 2 engine out there. Now that Half Life has had a chance to be delayed 6 or 7 times, more information is out and the team might change their mind. Keep in mind that Half life 2 actually has to come out before the team can even consider porting over to it, and that converting the code from HL 1 to HL 2 as well as adding features for a competative HL 2 release would probably take longer than beta 1.2 is, so that would be a pretty big decision.

Why don't you go the way of EVM and mod ESF yourself? The team made the game and can decide what to do with the game. As long as they don't lie to me and then intentionally avoid any attempt at explaining why they lied to me I'm fine with the team's judgement.

If this was SOS you'd be banned, but luckily this is the ESF forums, so it'll just get closed. Just calm down man, take a break, nothing is set in stone. The team certainly may change their mind in the future after HL2 is out, we'll just have to wait and see.

Best answers
I'm opening up this one again to give a fair answer.

realityburn said:
Im sorry but once I read the post that ESF is going to live and die on the HL1 engine I got very angry. Do you not even think of the possibilities you could have with the HL2 Sourge engine?????
Oh, we did, for a few seconds. Why do people keep on whining to us about converting to an engine that isn't even out yet? Even if the code would be easily portable (which i doubt), we would still have to redo all the models and maps in order to not make the mod look exactly the same.

I think I speak for at least a few other team-members, if I say that basicly we don't want to spend another 1-2 years of our lives redoing esf, just to please a few 12 year old brats.

As for the features:
Destructible terrain.
I don't think there is destructable terrain in HL2?

GREAT Physics
I can't think of anything that i'd like to do that isn't physicly possible in HL1 right now. But you can probably bring up some great examples?

Much better models/animations to work with
If we ever ported to HL2, hopefully we could keep the animations. As for the other artwork, all of it would have to be redone, wich would require a great amount of time.

@Sonic Boyster
Please keep your personal issues with SoS out of the ESF forums. If you want to stay a moderator, please behave like one. That flame was completely uncalled for, and not even slightly related to the topic.

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well actually, before it dies all the way I'd like to publicly apologize for the flames earlier. I personally didn't consider them anything other than fact, but I recognize that everyone is free to believe what they choose, and I have no authority over ethics or picking one team over another for work ethic or credibility. 'Tis true I allowed personal bias to creep into my response in this thread and I apologize to anyone who was offended.

And keep in mind I wasn't denouncing the game itself, just those responsible for its delay. Either way it's against our policy to discuss unrelated modifications in this forum and for breaking that policy I apologize. Don't follow in my footsteps!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom