1.2 option for melee

Best answers
in 1.2 will it be possible that when u attack somone from behind you can still send them flying instead of just having him turnaround and you start to melee. I mean if you get socked from behind your gonna go flying pretty much no matter what. Also will pl make a difference in the melee. Will you get special attacks for melee like a small ki beam to the chest to finish the melee?

Also will it be possible to be able to toggle new melee vs the old type for servers??

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm sure a knockback works like that, so you can hit them like 1.1b melee from any which side. From what I've heard, 1.2b melee is just an addon to 1.1b melee. You can still hit them away like 1.1b (not as far mind you) and you can go into combo's\throws. But what do I know :rolleyes:.

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Joe decided just to delete the old melee system so you can't toggle to it (which IMO is going to end up a hefty mistake). Hitting people from behind with simple melee (holding down the simple melee button) will send them a little ways, but not very far. Using regular advanced melee on them will pound into their back and then go to advanced melee.

I'd like to see a feature where hitting someone from the side or back with "simple" melee will still send them flying a considerable distance, but I don't think that's what the team wants to do anymore.

I would really, really rather have the option, regardless of how wonderful the new melee system is, to go back to the old system, because I don't see anything wrong with it besides the ki determinant factors in head on collisions.

Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
In 1.2 there is either the option of advanced melee or simple melee(comparable to 1.1). The simple melee is almost identical to 1.1 melee. Just without the lame targeting system.

Being able to swoop whenever you want and smash them whenever you want is quite nice. And hitting them with simple melee does send them pretty far. Perhaps not 3/4 of the way across the map, but a sizeable distance.

Best answers
ok good im glad you can still hit people hard into walls and stuff....but I have another question...when you get into a 1.2 melee this could be a problem....cant u just melee somone then after your done while they recover you just initiate it again with you starting the melee??? YOu could pretty much never lose as long as you start the first melee...or is there a knockback on the last hit of 1.2 melee?

Also is there going to ever be special melee attacks for people??

AND how will the throwing work...a different kind of melee or a finishing move??

ALSO for the hand lock thing will you be able to push the other guy into walls hurting him?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Checkplease said:
is there a knockback on the last hit of 1.2 melee?

Also is there going to ever be special melee attacks for people??

AND how will the throwing work...a different kind of melee or a finishing move??

ALSO for the hand lock thing will you be able to push the other guy into walls hurting him?
maybe...

perhaps..

differnt kind

no

Coder - Harsens sidekick
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Sonic, I think you misinterpreted what I said. I'm going to keep simple melee in using my new systems. Instead of targeting you'll have the multi-swoop, prepunching will be disabled, and the knockback will be increased along with the damage. You can toggle it with the mp_simplemelee cvar (which is a server side only cvar).

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well that makes a difference. I could have sworn you told me you had just gotten rid of the code.

Best answers
Think of it like playing a Playstation 1 game on a Playstation 2, Sonic. It's an odd comparison but it works. Joe's using new code to replicate the old one, probably because the new one's cleaner and just better. He's remaking an old black and white movie, so to speak. o_O

But as far as hitting someone in the back, I believe the prepunches do more than in the front, but there's no like, send them a mile away hit unless you do a combo and only do heavy attacks or throw them. Or you could just always let go of the prepunches altogether and you both get knocked away from each other. The boosted damage would be worth it, especially if you're low on ki going into it.

There's more of a 'fray' feeling in 1.2 in that it's closer ranged fighting. It opens up more strategy in terms of thinking about the concept that you have to have time to recover ki from your attacks, but when someone can get back in your face, you may end up getting tagged back worse. 1.2 isn't 1.1, and the only thing I could say that transfers from being good in 1.1 is basically the reaction time you have. 1.2's not as twitchy, but it somehow manages to be infinitely more intense.

Don't ask me. That's just what I get from beta-testing. o_o

★ Black Lounger ★
🌟 Senior Member
Best answers
Sonic Boyster said:
Well that makes a difference. I could have sworn you told me you had just gotten rid of the code.
maybe joe re-coded a bit.. and got rid of junk code :p replaced it with new code >_> tought about that one <_< >_>

Best answers
okok so the old melee is toggable to turn on and off....SWEET that means that the game wont belong to people with little skill. But i can bet its gonna turn out like this....after like 2 weeks of new melee i bet half of the servers are gonna still be using 1.1 melee...but thats just my opinion. (i noticed that people dont let things go eaisly in the HL world).

Best answers
If you remember, I was one of the biggest knockers of the melee system when it was initially proposed. If they could change my mind about it, they could make the Pope an athiest.

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Halorin said:
If you remember, I was one of the biggest knockers of the melee system when it was initially proposed. If they could change my mind about it, they could make the Pope an athiest.

Ok, I'm sorry, I just have to intervene for a second to motion you off of that soap box. Sorry, nothing personal, but between the references to your signature and posts like this... c'mon.

The team isn't capable of making the Pope an Athiest and everybody will have their own opinion of the new system. We haven't all gotten to play it, but once we have I think you'll find that some people will like it and some people wont. Nobody on the forums (to my knowledge) doubts that 1.2 will be fun, but some people rightfully assume that it will feel like starting clean over in skill levels, and players don't like letting go of their tricks and trigger fingers. In this sense the game will be handed over to new players (with little skill) once 1.2 is released and older veterans will lose whatever prestige they had in 1.1 .

To defend Checkplease it still does look in the videos like you could just button mash the hell out of 1.2 and land your blows that way instead of taking any kind of calculated risk pulling off kicks and punches that are as of yet easily deflected. We'll have to play it before we determine whether we'll like it or not, right now let's just keep it objective.

Best answers
Sonic Boyster said:
Ok, I'm sorry, I just have to intervene for a second to motion you off of that soap box. Sorry, nothing personal, but between the references to your signature and posts like this... c'mon.

The team isn't capable of making the Pope an Athiest and everybody will have their own opinion of the new system. We haven't all gotten to play it, but once we have I think you'll find that some people will like it and some people wont. Nobody on the forums (to my knowledge) doubts that 1.2 will be fun, but some people rightfully assume that it will feel like starting clean over in skill levels, and players don't like letting go of their tricks and trigger fingers. In this sense the game will be handed over to new players (with little skill) once 1.2 is released and older veterans will lose whatever prestige they had in 1.1 .

To defend Checkplease it still does look in the videos like you could just button mash the hell out of 1.2 and land your blows that way instead of taking any kind of calculated risk pulling off kicks and punches that are as of yet easily deflected. We'll have to play it before we determine whether we'll like it or not, right now let's just keep it objective.

Heh, okay. I didn't know I was on any soap box. It was a joke. Yeesh. Anyway, skillful players in 1.1 will still be skillful players in 1.2 in that they'll still have the maneuverability to connect side hits and to evade. No more matter how the attacks change, the first step will always be initiating the attack. Also, I welcome a new wave of top competitors. Maybe that way clans will have an actual purpose because there's about I'd say 15 elites in the ESF community. Maybe it's time for THOSE people to come off of THEIR soapboxes.

Also, mashing buttons won't do you a whole lot in combo's since you have to hold down the keys for a certain amount of time for it to register as a hit. So if you plan on using a script or alias, thinking it's going to give you an edge, you'll be mistaken.

I didn't mean for anyone to take my opinion as fact, I was simply stating it in joke form. There's no big argument here to win or fight for, so.. Relax. :yes:

Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Looks like some people need to settle themselves a bit. Halorin simply was proving a point in a joking fashion. It's called a simile. The more ridiculous the comparison, the more effective it is. :rolleyes:

Just like any new game, or even a new version of a game, it takes a little bit to get used to it. But all the same fundamentals of 1.1 are in 1.2, just made better. Yeh, you're right, some people might hate it, which is why the option has been made to toggle old melee. Completely up to the player.

If the "elites" of 1.1 don't like 1.2 it might be because they can't use the same "tricks" or flaws in the old melee system to their advantage anymore. It'll be interesting to see how it all plays out.

Best answers
ya i put 5 bucks that the vets of 1.1 will end up leaving because 1.2 will be "***". But i bet that 1.2 will have its bright moments.....maybe if you attack somone who is weaker than you....they get the first attack. But i still think that 1.2 can have huge exploits...like lets say you find one guy to pick on...its 2 on 1. #1 guy sits there and pummels the other guy....#2 just waits and when #1 is done....#2 initiates melee.....so you could pretty much never get out of melee if you are attacked first.

Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
That problem has already been taken into account, and preventive measures have been implemented so sitting and waiting for someone to get out of melee won't work.

Unless you're far enough away ^_^

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
In other words when melee ends something happens to prevent spectators from remaining right next to you after you swat your opponent away. My problem would have more to do with opponents getting me into advanced melee at all, particularly much weaker opponents. If somebody is 1/4th my power level but fast and continually pulls me into advanced melee whenever he hits me it is a waste of time for me.

What happens to your opponent if you just let all twelve autopunches swat him without initiating advanced melee or a throw? Does it knock him away where he can just swoop back at you or what?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
@Checkplease: If you retaliate you can go into combos of your own or throw your opponenent at another one. From the sounds of it, 1 on 2's will be easier to defend than 1.1b melee. Quite frankly, 1.2b melee has nowhere to go but up off of 1.1b melee. If find 1.1b melee is really boring and repetitive. Atleast now you get more options, no more block spammers and throwing looks awesome. I highly doubt that people will move back to 1.1b, if you can get Halorin to like 1.2b melee then it has to be good. He made what, three threads flaming it and then got banned :p. Some of ESF "vets" (Halorin, grOOvy) are beta testers so I'm sure they'll add comments to make this game enjoyable for the rest of the players.

If they want to play 1.1 melee they can, but I think that there will be a new wave of people to fill the gap once 1.2b comes out.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
lets face it people

1.1 melee SUCKS

plain and simple its boring its dull its repeditive

anyone who crys because something as dull as that was replaced with a better, cooler, funner, more indepth, action packed system doesnt deserve to play

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom