ESF on HL2 (no not a please make it on HL2 thread)

Best answers
I am wondering if the makers on ESF would mind or if they would encourage a fan like I do make a ESF style mod for HL2 I know all the odds-and-ends of the C language and have some eager gfx artists that are willing to work with me so would it be ok if I was to do a mod for HL2, maby ESF2? dont know maby better name is in order :rolleyes:

if you guys are totaly like no way or dont want a mod on HL2 baised off of ESF than ok, guess I will have to start it all from scratch, or make my other idea lined up, Synoptic Invasion

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Maybe you should/should have pmed Mastasurf with such a request, as it would seem (IMO) to be more professional and that you're able to handle such an undertaking.

Best answers
It's generally not a good idea to walk onto a mod's forum with the intent to recruit team members for a mod of your, especially with a theme mirroring the established mod. Check some of the Gamespy websites for links to editting websites concerning mods. That's my advice.

Best answers
he never said that he was trying to recruit anybody, he just asked if he was allowed to do it.

Best answers
Oh, well to answer that question. No. I'm 99% positive you cannot actively recruit out of the ESF forums, at least not in a public thread.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Synoptic invasion? O_O OMG, thats an ugly ugly UGLY name!!! But a Half-Life 2 ESF? Hmmm.....im pretty sure that wouldn't be allowed since ESF is their own brand.....you might wanna think of a better name, and start from scratch......o_o
P.S. He isnt recruiting, Halorin :\

Best answers
Sorry. I consider recruiting and advertising to be in the same vein when it comes to mods. I'll just drop it, though. I'm sure a team member will put their opinion on the topic in here soon.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
its already been said, esf will NOT go over to HL2. Dunno why but a team member said it.

Best answers
but who said that they would do it all we need is a mod team there already makin hl2 mods im im a mapper for one of them..... all you need to do is when esf dies just ask for the code (note you prob wont get but worth it) change the dir and some other crap antd you got it! esf..

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
the reason why : some pplz have crap ass coms (like my grandma) LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!1 , plus hl2 is recomened for current and decent hardware. btw, ATI's cards are beating nVidia's cards in hl2 benchmarks , any way back on topic , Valve have had some troubles with the models for hl 2 -except this does sound like a good idea coz ih hl2 the eyebrows can move and so on , meaning if the esf team did decide to move to hl2 that would be good coz wil transing u colud make the charcters look like he is under a lot of stress- i think valve have fixed that problem any way , another reason may be that a hacker attacked valve and steam , the hackers nicked the hl2 source tree and made it in to a trojan i think , but they are redoing the engine code , btw again , i have herd diff release dates for it (september , june , july) does any1 know which one of these are most likely , but back on topic , the 4th reason they probably don't want to move aswell is that regardless weather u have a crapy or god or top performing com , bots do put stress on the machine (of course the more bots u have the less fps u get) i dunno at the moment how well the fram rate is maintained in hl2 but we will have to wait and see , so there u have it!

Best answers
I would imagine that the team has turned down HL2 for a number of reasons.

1) It's not out, nor is the SDK. Why promise you'll do something you might not like doing after you figure out what you need to do to do it?

2) While the code might be easily ported, new models, textures, and maps would need to be made to utilize HL2's graphics.

3) The gameplay and code aren't finalized. New modes are planned down the road (CTDB) and I'm sure they have things planned that no one knows about but the team. So why waste time switching engines when the core of your game isn't finished? That'd be time poorly spent, in my opinion.

4) Not everyone can support HL2 at this time. By the time they've nailed down their features and what not, I would imagine more people would, and if any move would be made at all, I think it'd be wisest to do it then.

5) If it ain't broke, don't fix it. The game's a blast to play as it is.

That's what I think, anyway.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
So far, ESF isn't converting to HL2. That's doesn't mean that they wont change their minds. :rolleyes:

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
PCJoe, and others have stated:

The initial "ESF will Never be on HL2" is false, the fact is: Until HL2 comes out, they won't know whether or not they're going to convert. If it is as easy as Valve claims to convert, then they will. If they'd have to re-do the entire game, they probably won't.

I really don't think "Some people have crappy-ass computers, and we'd alienate them from playing!" is a real concern. :p

Best answers
Personally... When HL2 comes out, will you run and get mods for it? Nah, I think most of us will first go and play the original game and beat it. I think by the time most of us do that the ESF team will decide to convert or not... And if not, well then that sucks for us. But Im sure that if ESF isnt going to make the switch, some other DBZ mod will come out for it, and we'll all be happy ever after. But, for now, just like Halorin said, if it isnt broken, dont fix it... ESF is fine as it is, we dont need more at the moment... and if you all like ESF so much then you wont let it die because "OmG its not on half life 2 that SuXoRaZ," thats just dumb... Thats the problem these days, people care too much about graphics then about actual gameplay. ESF's gameplay kicks ass, we dont need the "l337 pwn" graphics for it... Because if we did, then we wouldnt be here. Which actually means all of you who play this game and like it, shouldnt worry if its going to be for HL2 because it wont matter. SURE it will be nice if ESF could be the same with better graphics, but its sure as hell not a necessity. Alright, well this post is way too long as it is... Peace.

🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
He hasn't asked anything about whether or not esf will be porting and I think people have kind of hopped on him like he has. Also he isn't recruiting or advertising. Hes asking out of respect to the esf devs if it would be ok to make a similar mod on hl2.

If you want to make a DBZ mod on hl2 you have every right to. If you want to model the hl2 mod after esf than it is doubtful but it can't hurt to ask and it is appreciated that you do. This is also a question that only a dev can answer.

Best answers
SAIYAN_OVERLORD said:
the reason why : some pplz have crap ass coms (like my grandma) LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!1 , plus hl2 is recomened for current and decent hardware. btw, ATI's cards are beating nVidia's cards in hl2 benchmarks , any way back on topic , Valve have had some troubles with the models for hl 2 -except this does sound like a good idea coz ih hl2 the eyebrows can move and so on , meaning if the esf team did decide to move to hl2 that would be good coz wil transing u colud make the charcters look like he is under a lot of stress- i think valve have fixed that problem any way , another reason may be that a hacker attacked valve and steam , the hackers nicked the hl2 source tree and made it in to a trojan i think , but they are redoing the engine code , btw again , i have herd diff release dates for it (september , june , july) does any1 know which one of these are most likely , but back on topic , the 4th reason they probably don't want to move aswell is that regardless weather u have a crapy or god or top performing com , bots do put stress on the machine (of course the more bots u have the less fps u get) i dunno at the moment how well the fram rate is maintained in hl2 but we will have to wait and see , so there u have it!
Offtopic: Are guys like this guy doing this on purpose? I mean seriously, theres not a sincle "." in all that text! Drives ya nuts to read...

Anyways, i dont really see why so many Halflife 2 threads have been made, the games not out for the next couple of months according to Gabe, and as said ppl wont go for the mods as the first priority. And if its piece of cake to convert, im sure the esf team will consider it, afterall theyre probably as eager to play it on HL2 as the average esf player ;)

/Max

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yes there is,
Originally Posted by SAIYAN_OVERLORD
the reason why : some pplz have crap ass coms (like my grandma) LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!1 , plus hl2 is recomened for current and decent hardware.
o_o

On-Topic: But then again it is true, they will have to redo the code and everything, and will have to learn to utilise the HL2 SDK, which could be a problem to those of us ESF Fans that were impatient. HL2 demands much more. look how SOS are struggling with just Quake III Arena. It's been ages since they announced the release and whats happened? Nothing. Imagine what will happen with HL2. It will take a lot longer to model, and require a more demanding PC for ESF players to run ESF

Best answers
I think what I posted earlier pretty much leaves the discussion dead in the water. I'm sure down the road someday HL2 will be converted to, but for now, I just don't see it happening for the reasons I listed. It only makes sense.

Best answers
wow didnt know all this debate would arise was hoping for a yes, no, maby answer.... Yea I am sorry I really should of PMed it to a Dev person (actually didnt even think about that, lol) but it is done now so oh well.. Anyway if they ESF people decide to go to HL2 than I will do nothing but ask if I can help out :p and if they dont than my question will still stand, yea I can just make one from scratch but that is a lot a lot a lot of work and stuff to do. Which I am prepared to do but it would be better for all involved if I could get basic principles and code from the HL ESF to get me started and have a base on :).

oh OFFTOPIC!!!
I really love ESF yes for HL but it would be soo much better on HL2 the possibilities are almost endless the HL2 physics engine would allow for soo much more when it came to fighting and interation with explosions and attacks, and I would love to use the HL2 terrain deformation to have craters and stuff when you use a huge attack like Final Flash :devgrin:. It would be cool to have the level totaly destroyed after a while :laff:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom