Steam...is good?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well...in preparation for the release of 1.2, my friend and I have finally made the jump to Steam for all of our mods. Yeah, it was rather difficult, but we've got it all up and running, and well...

..I know this is going to sound strange, but...

...Steam rules. Yes. It rules, plain and simple. Performance-wise, at least. All of the steam conversions of our games are running much smoother; on WON we are both currently having issues with being able to lock on for melee, but on Steam it works like a charm. All of the sprites look better and so do the textures--maybe it's just me, but seriously. It runs MUCH better now. Better than it EVER did on WON.

What is scarier, is that the same is true for ALL of our mods. So I guess I have to say that, once you get it working, Steam seems pretty good.

Until it chokes to death from everyone trying to download Half-Life 2 when its released, at least. hehe.

Best answers
Yup, I totally agree- I am guessing the esf team thinks this too or else they'd still be using WON. Its a shame so many people blame the program because THEY cant get it to work.

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Steam > Won is kinda widely accepted now. I'm not sure why the ESF community has historically been so *****y about it... it was a trend to hate steam a few months ago but at least people are finally turning around.

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Mainly because so many kids are here. Steam is not user freindly with ESF, and alot of the kids have to struggle to install it. If you arent' good with computers and the modding scene, you will have trouble installing a WON mod on steam.

Best answers
where can i find steam ( the link on the site dont work )

Best answers
hmm .. escuse me i dont search steam instaler i search Esf on steam ..

Best answers
Dark!!! esf on steam is esf on won (at least now)
And yeah steam is much better... but u put it wrong here. Steam doesn't do anything to improve the game, the updated hl enginge does that. But now steam is rarely introduced as the new hl engine so I guess that works :laff:

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well in general it just performs better. I don't know the specifics of it; all I know is I used to drop from 100fps to 50 if someone did so much as shoot a generic beam. Now, it doesn't do that at all; in fact, the sphere explosions look great in Steam. I guess my config files just converted over really well.

Best answers
I wonder whats the big problem installing steam? My only problem was that i didnt know that there is steam installer i tried to get it work only downloading steam v2.0 for esf :D But when i finally after 4h work managed to get steam installer, it was really easy to get it work. But after i have readed so many messages in esf-world, its really easy to understand that someone have problems with steam... :rolleyes:

🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The lock on problem in won servers was because of admin mod. Steam is good if you have a decent internet connection. If you have something like 56k or an overrun shared T1 (curses campus network) then it can be quite annoying to try to log on 3 or 4 times to play a lan game.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You know, though...that stupid lock-on bug...I mean, it totally murders the game. The server I played on steam had some type of administrative mods running too, but it ran like warm butter on a...well...a steam vent. And the lock on worked again for the first time in months. I run an ESF server sometimes and I never saw the need for those mods, honestly. Other than for options that should've already been in the game anyway (voting, votekicking, etc.)

Man it was good to get in a decent game, though. I haven't in forever!

The thing that I find fascinating about Steam is that no two installations go the same way ever. I've installed it twice on my machine and four times for other people and every time it did completely different stuff. Hehe. THat's what makes it a chore, I guess.

Besides...I'm pretty sure the reason why all the kiddies ***** is just because they can no longer steal the CD keys of their friends. No surprise there--the starcraft kids all did the same thing with Battle.net.

Best answers
SaiyanPrideXIX said:
Besides...I'm pretty sure the reason why all the kiddies ***** is just because they can no longer steal the CD keys of their friends. No surprise there--the starcraft kids all did the same thing with Battle.net.
well said, my friend. theyre always lookin for the easy way out. psh, noobs.

Best answers
If you think about it steam isnt really that difficult , some people just dont try hard enough , Indeed yes steam does own WON magerly now

Best answers
Understood about how everything looks better because there's a small change in the ingame renderer for HL on Steam

But the best bit is that you can switch to 32-bit mode. Booyah! (Not that WON can't run 32 bit. It can, but you have to edit your shortcuts whereas you simply choose an option in Steam)

The greatest thing abut Steam? It's got chess! (Or at least checkers)
The worst thing about Steam? Sometimes new updates screw up Steam, but that can be easily fixed.

But it was funny how people said WON was better than Steam. Heck, when WON opened up for HL, you could connect to servers once in a blue moon. And time out a lot from servers. Compare this to Steam, see who is 'teh win'

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Its weird, won works alot better on my comp. Like when i double tap for swoop i swoop. In steam i have to click alot. But oh well. cant win all the time, I can click more to avioud the annoying problems with won.

Best answers
Another reason is bugs. We all know steam has had its fair due of bugs, but now its on the right track and people are switching over to it.
Yes i do agree steam performs better than won...and is much easier to play friends online who simply do not know what an "IP address" is lmao..

Best answers
yea i heard on alot of other older posts how people had so much trouble trying to install steam. thats why i never went to steam untill i found out that 1.2 was mainly tested on steam. so when i first got it i installed like any normal thing, switch everything over to it and started playing within like 6 mins. depends if u know what your doing

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
idk about you (unless you posted here :p) but i still like WON better. there is just something about steam i dont like. its not the fact that its hard to work with its when im playing the game. not the fact that its faster is soemthing about looking at it... its wierd i just dont like it. oh and off topic King Nak i LOVE your Sig its so coolthe blue hair and the yellow sweetness. ok ill go

ESF Head Team Mapper
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🍂 Regular
Best answers
i like steam very much ... what i really like is the buddy list thingie and the server browser window. the only thing i dont like is that steam downloads datas of games that you dont even have installed but can buy (condition zero.gcf - 264mb >_> -- i dont have cz installed and never had <_<)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom