topic on performance

Best answers
since i have seen huge progress from ESF1.1 to ESF 1.2, i must say i am very pleased :shocked: but at the same time a bit worried. o_o the new esf won't make your system framerate go slow would it? If so by not much right?what would u say is the min requirements for playing esf1.2? would it be the same as esf 1.1. :] what was the lowest CPU speed you have tested ESF1.2 on and was the framerate playable? Becuase i must say. ive seen that movie preview and i was fascinated. at first i was shocked then i was speechless, and then the next thing i thought of was, will it go smooth on my comp and on my buddies comps lol . i have an 866 mhz comp with 768 ram and a radeon 9200 64 meg card . I also would liek to personally thank the team on their work. Becuase i have never ever seen a halflife mod go this far and beyond before.

Best answers
Don't worry; the team have done everything they could to make ESF 1.2 less laggy than before.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If Half Life chokes your system, in any incarnation, the problems lie in the equipment and not otherwise. Half Life tends to be *****y with ESFs framerates, but I noted that it was largely due to texture memory dumps and other stuff. Things like the sudden poly count quadrupling of a big couple of explosions, for instance, cause big drops. But on steam, the old explosions and beams don't cause drops. So I imagine the new ones--which look to be sprite based, taking the multiplying polycount out of the equation, will run the same if not better.

Now if I could only get my steam functional again...

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Its not laggy him (and I) are worried about. its my Frame rate. i still want good FPS. I already know that Ping is not much of an issue. Its my fps. i know ill be using a lot of 1.1 tactics, cuz im still not bored with 1.1 (Yes thats how good it is) and in order to perform them properly i need 60 or above to ensure maximum performance :p (do i sound professional?)

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Your FPS will probably be a notch below what it is now but I don't think it's significant. Your FPS sinks like a rock when someone blows up a big beam on top of you but only until some of the debris clears or you move. Dusttrails don't kill you now like they used to either.

Best answers
ESF should work on a same system that can handle Half-Life.
If your pc won't be able too handle 1.2 (or 1.1).

Than thats the sign too buy some new equipment.
Games don't stick with the same requirements.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
yeah .... well the maps are HUGE in 1.2 or so im told. so um i just dont want to have cruddy fps. if i do i can always buy a new graphics card... right? that will fix things wont it? and when i say this i mean like no more than 6 people in the server (including me) usually i will have 4-6 in a server. and if its not mine i wont join. so will the big maps make a difference?

Best answers
Maps are same size as in Beta 1.0 and 1.1...only thing that has changed is mapping techniques.

Best answers
And the amount of maps..I counted alot :eek:

Im hoping to get a better FPS then before..but If I dont thats fine with me since my pc is pretty old and im waiting on a new one.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Cucumba said:
I have a GeForce4 MX 420 and the huge maps barely lag me.
Barely? cuz i have a geforce2 and currently if the map is esf_cell_day or night then i get 99 fps if there isnt more than like 4-6 people in the server. but if im in esf cell island well then i can be the only one and i have 40 fps. so i dunno what do you think? should i get a new card?

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Nah, you should be fine. GeForce4MX is only slightly better than the GeForce2. I'm talking about 18 players on the server too, so it's not an inconciderable amount of traffic.

Coder - Harsens sidekick
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
TheGreatMonkey said:
I have an ASUS 9800XT. Will I be able to handle 1.2's graphics?
This isn't a "pimp your gfx card" thread -_-

Best answers
Pcjoe said:
This isn't a "pimp your gfx card" thread -_-
joe you make me laugh and smile.

okay so if the maps are same size what technique do you guys use to make them look larger? or is this a secret?

Best answers
model scaling.

On the topic of it, yeah, anything around or above a GeForce2 should be able to handle all the new visuals (animations not included,unless a big assload amount of polys pop out of nowhere)

Besdies, having a framerate of 40fps in esf_islands isn't that bad. I mean, cmon, I had like 2 fps on that map before! Imagina the horror I had to go through, tweaking every single seting and not having a single frame added to render.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
RaVe said:
model scaling.

On the topic of it, yeah, anything around or above a GeForce2 should be able to handle all the new visuals (animations not included,unless a big assload amount of polys pop out of nowhere)

Besdies, having a framerate of 40fps in esf_islands isn't that bad. I mean, cmon, I had like 2 fps on that map before! Imagina the horror I had to go through, tweaking every single seting and not having a single frame added to render.
crap rave i feel so bad for you 2 fps is bad. there was this hacker that came into the mbd clan and did something to make everyones fps to go down to like 10 including mine and i couldnt do anything i got such a head ache. then he left and they shot back up to 70. it was so wierd.

Thanks for saying what you did.. makes me feel less nervous about my performance

Best answers
DeclineFX said:
joe you make me laugh and smile.

okay so if the maps are same size what technique do you guys use to make them look larger? or is this a secret?
The maps aren't big. The models are just extremely small. Therefore making the map appear larger.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The Great monkey is half right. the Models are downsized. but the maps could be made even larger if they wanted to. they are large period. The maps for 1.2 are bigger than the 1.1 maps. you can tell just by looking at them but there really is no need for the largeness of the maps since 1.1 melee knock back isnt as far, and is weakend, and 1.2 you dont go anywhere (input imo here, but i dont know what it means so i wont be a poser) so the largeness of the maps is somewhat pointless

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom