maps for 1.2 too big?

Best answers
hey i been playing 1.2 for a couple weeks now.. 1.1 just got too annoying for me since i started playing it when everyone was too good at it. so i would always get my ass kicked. but 1.2 it a little different. im usually pretty good at learning games pretty fast. thnx to Zeonix and Saiyajin i had to learn 1.1 meelee in a different way. so im not doing to bad now. except for one thing.

THESE MAPS ARE WAY TOO BIG FOR MY COMPUTER.

i didnt really get this computer for gaming speed i got it for its capacity. but these new maps. the new maps like gero and cell games just bog my pc down. its like being drunk how everything moves like u were moving through jello. my computer might not be the best but its a 400 mHz , gforce 4 , and some other stuff. but if i try going to 680x480 i might be missing out on some grafix and distance fighting. anything else someone can help me with on maybe speeding these maps up a little for me?

Best answers
Erm, if your pc can't handle the new maps then just play older smaller ones.
I'd really suggest upgrading or buying a new pc :/ My brother has a 400mhz pc and it's really not fun playing fast paced games with..

p.s how much RAM do you have?

Best answers
ram is 512 mb. and i can keep up to pace with most people but there arent many servers with rosat or ToM. and creating a server is just no fun, because who wants the ping advantage. but it gets hard for me to play against those good players when i cant swoop cause its like i have a 5fps on those big maps

Best answers
Same prob as my cousin....everything is good except for your Mhz, buy a new comp -_- or overclock it o_O

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
dont over clock it, you proly have no idea how to do it anf if u learn you will kill you computer, just buy a new motherboard.

Best answers
ok lets just skip the buying more ****. i leave for the army in 2 weeks what can i do for now?

Best answers
well...if its a fps problem then u need to not use the 24bit textures...reinstall with the regular textures (if u cant change it in game...i cant remember if u can or not)...either that or refer to the fps tweaks in the help section..they might help u out a lil bit to squeeze some extra juice outta your card...

Requirements: Minimum Recommended
CPU Requirements - Pentium 100 or better - Pentium 166 MMX
CD-ROM - 2X CD-ROM - 4X CD-ROM or better
Memory Requirements - 16 MB RAM - 32 MB RAM preferred
O/S Requirements - Windows '95 - Windows '95
Monitor/Video Card - SVGA 640 x 480, 16-bit - SVGA 640 x 480, 16-bit
3D Acceleration Support - Not Required - 3D accelerator recommended
Sound Card Support - Windows compatible card - Sound-Blaster compatible
Controllers - Mouse, Keyboard - Joystick or Gamepad optional

your computer should be enuff to play esf smoothly...by these specs...so i think u should tweak your vid settings...especially if u are ok on maps like rosat and tom but not on the others...

Best answers
ChaosPriest well good luck in the army sorry to see you to go. We will miss you

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
MysticUub said:
well...if its a fps problem then u need to not use the 24bit textures...reinstall with the regular textures (if u cant change it in game...i cant remember if u can or not)...either that or refer to the fps tweaks in the help section..they might help u out a lil bit to squeeze some extra juice outta your card...

Requirements: Minimum Recommended
CPU Requirements - Pentium 100 or better - Pentium 166 MMX
CD-ROM - 2X CD-ROM - 4X CD-ROM or better
Memory Requirements - 16 MB RAM - 32 MB RAM preferred
O/S Requirements - Windows '95 - Windows '95
Monitor/Video Card - SVGA 640 x 480, 16-bit - SVGA 640 x 480, 16-bit
3D Acceleration Support - Not Required - 3D accelerator recommended
Sound Card Support - Windows compatible card - Sound-Blaster compatible
Controllers - Mouse, Keyboard - Joystick or Gamepad optional

your computer should be enuff to play esf smoothly...by these specs...so i think u should tweak your vid settings...especially if u are ok on maps like rosat and tom but not on the others...
Those specs are the minimum specs to get the game actually running.

No 3d Acceleration? BLAH.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well, don't worry about maps getting much bigger.
Most ESF maps sit on the limits of how big you can make a map in the HL1 engine.
Just play on small or less-detailed maps (esf_rosat). I had to cope with a computer worse than the one you're running for quite awhile, you've just got to adapt if you can't/won't upgrade.

Best answers
not too sure if i remember teh 24 bit textures part when i installed it but i guess ill try agian and see what happens. another problem i am having lately is i will do a swoop, or any kind of movement and if i try to turn i will still be going the same direction i was going before, then after a couple seconds it will turn or do whatever i was doing before.
like i said i will reinstall but i doubt that will do anything since i reinstall almost everyday. but thnx for the tip.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
hmm....... so it is ture what everyone is sayying 1.2 lags on coms slowers then 500mhz. a computer like that is very good considering how old it is (u have a lot of ram for a com that old) is it an amd ath 400 or p2400 (i use to run 1.1 on a 400 with a asus 32mb mx400 , opengl 800 by 600 , 128mb pc100 memory , 6gig 5,200rpm drive) i liked that computer but now i have sold it to a friend , for the time b4 i sold it it was once my main computer then my guest computer. my friend rooted it up and accused me of rooting it up (he is a moron) infact he rooted it up taht much it doesn't run as well as when i first got it (i got this com for free). he still owes me 85bux (i sold it to him for 250bux) aus dollars, anyway what type of gf4 do u have (m420,mx440,mx460, ti 4200) u can get a ti4200 card in there , u just have to make sure it's the 4x speed bus one (i got one in my bro's computer) i suggest if u r gonna stay with what u have now is run esf at 800 by 600 on opengl , go into the customize menu in multi and configure the settings there. also how long has your os on there , it maybe could use a defrag , (defrags should be done once every 3mths) don't defrag 2much thou coz u can actually root up your drive and the comapany that made your hdd won't warrat it (not don't u have warratny on it already , it probaly expire) but if u still have a drive u with warranty still for it , don't defrag every week. waht i really think u should do is just reformat your com , do a clean install of your os (probably bein winxp) go get the latest drives for your mainboard,graphics card,sound card. Also u should go find a main board bios update and a graphics card vga bios update (make sure there the rite ones thou , coz if thier not , u will rott up your hardware , it won't even work if it's not the rite won)

Best answers
ok let see if i can get this in one post:
it is an athalon 400
i do run 800x600 open gl
gf4 is an mx440
i defrag once a month
my os is 2000(ya i know) impossible to go back to 9x or even xp
and this is a homade computer made by someone whos being working on computers for almost 30 years. long story but ill sum it up.
this computer actually run pretty good for the stuff inside(thnx to an old buddy who knows what the hell hes doing) :)

ok i guess i had to edit after all :(
i did show_fps 1 and my fps wouldnt go higher than 25(sux huh?)amazing i can still whoop ass. i change the max to 100 and it was still 25 so that wasnt working. i also tried turning vsync off but i would get too much tear so i put that back on but now that u guys know what i am running any suggestions for me?.... ehemm except for buying a new computer. i didnt buy it for gaming in the first place. this computer was actually built to be a host server for something completly different. not speed

Best answers
Ever since HL introduced "hi-res" models its been a resource hog...and well lets not get onto how bad the steam engine is :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom