How beams should really work

Best answers
Ok, in ESF now, when you charge a beam attack and fire, you can control where the beam goes (other then Special Beam Cannon) and you can keep the beam going on until you hit something or decide to explode it. And while your doing this, it doesnt cost any ki to keep the attack going. This is not at all how it works in DBZ.

In DBZ, when you shoot a beam, if you want to make it turn directions or explode at your own will, you have to keep putting ki into the beam. After all, a beam attack is really just a ball of ki that is being pushed around by more of your ki. When you stop pushing the attack, the beam tail ends and the beam will keep on going in the last direction it was heading, and it cant be controlled anymore. There are many episodes where you can see this. Just watch any of the Cell vs. Gohan episodes, the Buu fights, even in Dragonball.

I think that in ESF, when you shoot a beam attack, if you let go of left-click, the beam tail should end and you should not have any more control over it, just like how it is in the show. If you want to keep control over your beam, then you need to keep holding down left-click, and pump more ki into it. You should not be able to let go of left-click and still have control over the beam without costing any energy to keep it going.

This wouldnt be hard to put in. ESF already has the animation for a beam with a short tail. When you deflect someone elses beam, it will fly of in some direction with a short tail. Also, this would make beams more balanced because it will now cost ki if you want to keep control over the beam, this will stop people from shooting kamehamehas in the air and trying to draw stuff with the tail (funny stuff to watch), and it would make ESF more DBZish.

What do you guys think? Did I make everything clear?

Best answers
This idea is not fully developed. How do you release a beam? You just listed how a beam should end, as in let go of left click and you can no longer control the beam. But, what if you want to release the beam and have a little control while still pumping it forward? This idea is good, but not fully thought through.

The Krazy One
✔️ HL Verified
🎈 Advanced
Best answers
Nice idea, but the KI cost for maintaining the beam should be considerately low, or else beam struggles would be a thing of the past, due to the added KI usage for keeping the beam going. Unless, when in a beam struggle, the beam's KI usage will be nulled, and the actual struggle Ki drainage would take over.
Another thing I like about this idea, is you can turn any beam attack into a ball attack. :D

Validated Steam Engine
🌈 Beta Tester
✔️ HL Verified
🌹 Regular Rosé
Best answers
I think that you should have to right-click to end your control of the beam as it is better than detonating, which is annoying, and you already release left-click to fire the beam in the first place.

The Krazy One
✔️ HL Verified
🎈 Advanced
Best answers
Or, how about this. Instead of pressing right click, to release the beam, how about if you reach a fully charged attack, it will automatically fire (Unless your holding right-click at the same time), but if you don't have a fully charged attack, and let go of the fire button, it would fire, but won't be attached. That way, if you fire a controlled attack, you can still detonate it (I'm a fan of detonating beam attacks. :D)

Best answers
Thaks ok but when was the last time you saw someone in the DBZ show explode a beam while it was flying in the air? I think ESF should be made as close to DBZ as possible but keeping in mind that everything needs to be balanced.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
First, congratulations on your 200th post Killa, and your 100th post Damirith.
Now on-topic, I never liked detonating and it doesn't have anything to do with the show. I like detaching beams better. It's more like the show than detonating.

Best answers
Krazy-Killa said:
Nice idea, but the KI cost for maintaining the beam should be considerately low, or else beam struggles would be a thing of the past, due to the added KI usage for keeping the beam going. Unless, when in a beam struggle, the beam's KI usage will be nulled, and the actual struggle Ki drainage would take over.
Good point. Maybe have it that the cost for maintaining a beam be the same cost for keeping yourself in the air. So its not a big factor but it can still take a bit of your ki. And yea, maybe have it that the ki drain for maintaining the beam stops if you get into a power struggle. You will need the rest of your ki to go toward the power struggle.

I was also thinking that maybe you should be able to release a beam while your in a power struggle. Say you know you wont be able to make it, but you have enough ki to at least run. Well then you could release the beam and try to run. Of cource you will have to be quick enough to get away from the blast when both beam come flying at you.
This would also fix the problem how power struggles seem to go on much longer then they should, even with both players with no ki left. But then again power struggles are being fix in 1.3.

....I dont know about releasing beams during a power struggles, its just an idea but could make power struggles useless. Anyways, there should definitely be a small cost for maintaining your beam and having right-click should make you release the beam, not explode it.

Best answers
Damirith said:
Good point. Maybe have it that the cost for maintaining a beam be the same cost for keeping yourself in the air.
if you did that, then if you wanted to control a beam while flying you would have considerable ki loss and most likely would drop out of the sky, lose the beam, and descend if you happen to be ssj or whatever. I think the current system is fine, as is beams such as final flash take almost all your ki in the first place, so basically vegeta would be out of commision for beam attacks in ssj form. Also, in the show, the continuation of a beam took soooo little effort in comparison to their pl its not even a viable influence on your ki. All the ki goes into the formation of the ball, not the tail, the tail is just kind of a ki connection to the person who fired it, to control it.

The Krazy One
✔️ HL Verified
🎈 Advanced
Best answers
opensource said:
if you did that, then if you wanted to control a beam while flying you would have considerable ki loss and most likely would drop out of the sky, lose the beam, and descend if you happen to be ssj or whatever. I think the current system is fine, as is beams such as final flash take almost all your ki in the first place, so basically vegeta would be out of commision for beam attacks in ssj form. Also, in the show, the continuation of a beam took soooo little effort in comparison to their pl its not even a viable influence on your ki. All the ki goes into the formation of the ball, not the tail, the tail is just kind of a ki connection to the person who fired it, to control it.
Another good point. How about instead of using the KI to maintain control, you could pump more power into the beam mid-flight. That way, if two people are in a power struggle, that you know will be much stronger than your beam, you could put more power into the beam mid-flight, to try and "catchup" to the power the other beams are at.

Best answers
You're right about that opensource. That would be too much of a drain on your ki and in the show, it does seem that the hardest part about beams is making the ball, not shooting it and controlling it in the air; untill it gets into a power struggle. So forget the whole Ki needed to maintain the beam.

Hmm now I dont even know if there is a point with being able to release beams if there really is no problem with keeping control over them. I'm also thinking that if you could release beams when ever you wanted, then whats to stop people from just doing quick charge ups of kamehamehas and spamming them like how poeple are able to spam Special Beam Cannon? No one would keep the beams attached becuase it is so much easier to shoot and run. Wow, that would ruin the game.

Ok, what about insted of being able to right-click to release beams whenever you want to, that it auto happens when you're low on health?

In the show, when you are near death, the last thing you are able to do is launch a huge beam attack and be able to have complete control over it. Why not have that in ESF? In ESF, when you have 5 HP or less (or 4HP and less, cant really remember) you are completely weak and your losing Ki every second so, how come your able to shoot a beam off and be able to maintain it no problem? Why not have it that if you try using beams when you're in that weakend state, that when you fire the beam, after about 3-5 seconds, it auto releases because your so weak and are not to be able to have control over it?

What about that?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Making the beam uncontrollable has been discussed in the past and disregarded for some odd reason. I think it's great compared to the detonation ability. It would definatley make it harder for beamspammers. I'd still prefer the idea to make beams to continous damage over explosive damage, but if not that, then this idea would be second.

Don't worry about people making disconnected KHH's, they already can, the kame torpedos. Balls are useful, but they're considerably weaker than beams, and you can't control them. So beam spammers would only be able to hit something either not moving, or by using splash damage on the ground.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
They already do it:
Gohan joins the server. 30 seconds later he turns SSJ. 1/2 seconds later he charges khh. 6 seconds later he fires it. 1 second later all the server is dead.
Here you got beamspam in 37 1/2 seconds.

Best answers
Krazy-Killa said:
Another thing I like about this idea, is you can turn any beam attack into a ball attack. :D
Plus , it would be nice if, during beam struggles, u could recharge to an extent. This way, there'll be Ki pump/rechage battling to add to the dynamic. :D Of course, the stronger player will have the advantage, but can still be beaten by being less efficient with his Ki.

And yeah, detachable Beams is a cool idea.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I like the detachable beams idea, kinda like when they're swatted away by someone blocking except for the player decides when to break it off, that would be better than having them blow up.

I think the beams are a bit too sensitive to control, its too easy to steer them into people, maybe make them less controllable/steerable.

it would be nice if, during beam struggles, u could recharge to an extent. This way, there'll be Ki pump/rechage battling to add to the dynamic. Of course, the stronger player will have the advantage, but can still be beaten by being less efficient with his Ki.
Does that mean both players can have potentially infinite ki in a beam struggle? That can only mean more uber-struggles with cataclysmic end explosions that wipe the server.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
wel PS ki pumping is scedueld for later versions 1.3 maby 1.4 dont know realy
detachable beams would be like DBZ yes but they would be the nightmare of the servers just imagine what beamspamers would do whit them in 10 secomds you have about 3-5 KHH's coming at you not good there should be something to level that down
like you can make only 1 beam and aslong as that1 isnt destroyed you cant make a new1

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom