Ducking

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I asked about ducking way back in v1.0b but I decided to start another thread about it.

Okay, the argument before was that ducking (aka crouching) was useless and would just be a waste of animation. I think that crouching would have a few uses, mainly disc dodging.

Say your walking toward someone and maybe you didn't notice the disc in their hand (happend to me lots of times). The disc flies toward you, *bam* duck or even prone against the ground.

Just a small idea. Ducking/Crouching would otherwise just add more "realism" as well.

What do you think?

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
good for flying down and there are hl levels that nead crouching so i say YES :yes:

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
You can already fly down with duck :rolleyes:

I still don't see any use for it, with hitting the teleport button you would dodge it even more easy and I think some characters are reaching the animation limit aswell.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I didn't think there was an 'animation limit' and besides, you can change keys.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well they reach their limit because of something that takes all the gameplay.... hmmmm what was it... Oh yes the:no:new:no:melee:no:system!

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It would add realism, but... is a DBZ mod in need of realism?
Teleport works fine for dodging discs.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It made a lot of sense to me as the new melee system takes about 95 animations. Believe me I checked. And Boyster how is it possible that the models are reaching their limit while new combos are being planned?

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Orbit said:
It made a lot of sense to me as the new melee system takes about 95 animations. Believe me I checked. And Boyster how is it possible that the models are reaching their limit while new combos are being planned?
Yep the new melee system takes a bunch of animations(duh). I'm not sure about a limit but I thought hearing Joe or Darktooth talking about it.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Sure you can dodge things using teleport, but ducking would be a ground-only way (unless the enemy aimed and HIT you or the ground near you). Plus it wouldn't require ki, and perhaps it could be used to do horizontal "wall-jumps"

Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I think it would be a relatively easy thing to put into esf, just need an animation. But for a game where you can fly, jump, teleport, beam jump, etc. It just seems like ducking is a little...redundant.

But if we want to talk about completeness...yeh, sure. Why not?

*edit: Post number 2,000! :rolleyes: *

The Krazy One
✔️ HL Verified
🎈 Advanced
Best answers
To Evil_Trunks: Congrats on your 2,000th post. :D

On-Topic: Crouching to me, seems kinda useless to me. You can still get hit by the disc, with the way Half-Life handles Hit-box detection, and another thing, someone can just aim at your feet, and boom, you're hit anyway, even while ducking. What I do when I see a disc coming at me while I'm on teh ground, I jump, then swoop at them, simple.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The disc evading was just an example. It's mostly for just a 'completion' thing plus I'm sure someone will find great use for it.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It sounds like you want it to go in for the sake of going in, besides you can dodge any disc by jumping them. If you did crouch/duck/lay down then:

1) The beam will collide with a hitbox anyway, as they exceed the model in size a bit
2) The beam will be shot at your feet/the ground near your feet and the explosion hurt you

I suppose pointless actions have been included before (Walk, like running, but slower o_O) but if anyone *can* find a great use for it i'd like to hear it because I can't think of one.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
with the duck fungsion they can make the melee more usefull.
duck is down but back is dodge and forewort is blow away so jump is up, that makes the melee better to use and gives it atleast something to do.
and if you look at this tread, the duck button is fore more things usefull.
http://forum.esforces.com/showthread.php?t=44861
dont mind the bad things they say, it's the only way to save melee for distruction

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yes, the crouch button may be used to dodge instead. Great!

Best answers
Mr. Satan said:
Sure you can dodge things using teleport, but ducking would be a ground-only way (unless the enemy aimed and HIT you or the ground near you). Plus it wouldn't require ki, and perhaps it could be used to do horizontal "wall-jumps"
Ya ducking would be better for ground dodgeing so i also say yes :yes:

PS: u shouldve added a poll =p

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Why do floorjump? I mean it's like jump but you have to crouch before you can do it and you need to charge it. Useless.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
not useless, it's an way to jump higher then the normal jump but it doesn't nead ki.
the jump can be higher when you use turbo with it :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom