New melee system

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Please read the New system thread in order to understand the speed handling.

Basics:
  • Attack types:
    • Left click = Punch
      • Takes 0.5 second to charge MIN
      • Direct Hit Action: Deals small demage without Knockback and engages Melee Battle.
    • Right click = Kick
      • Takes 1 second to charge MIN
      • Direct Hit Action: Performs Knockback and deals demage.
    • Swooping without a charged attack = Push
      • Direct Hit Action: Automatically swats the target away.
  • Attack rules:
    • The longer an attack is charged, the more KI is put into it and the more powerful it is.
    • The one with more speed gets to perform his attack's Direct hit action.
    • The attack you charge isn't fired automaticlly. You have to release it with correct timing.
    • A tie happens when both players have about the same speed (meaning: a difference of 10 speed points or less)

All you have to know is that if you want to win, you need more Speed than your enemy.

I will cover all the possible cases so you will understand.

(Example: "Punch vs. Block" means one person chooses to Punch and the other chooses to Block.)
  • Ties:
    • Kick vs. Kick --> Creates Clash and teleports both players back
    • Punch vs. Punch --> Deals small demage to both players without Knockback and engages Melee Battle.
    • Punch vs. Kick --> Creates Clash and engages Melee Battle.
  • Struggles:
    • Punch/Kick vs. Block --> The attack will be blocked, the blocking player will suffer 50% demage and Melee Battle will be engaged.
    • Punch/Kick vs. Push --> A PowerStruggle will start and the swooping player will try to block the blow. Whoever wins the PS does a Knockback and deals damage.
    • Push vs. Block --> The player will start pushing the blocking player like a beam and a BS will start as the blocking player will try to stop the swooping player.
      If the blocking player successfuly blocks the Pushing player he will do a Knockback but no demage is done
      If the blocking player reaches a wall he will suffer demage depending on the speed he was being pushed to it and the BS will end.
    • Push vs. Push --> Both players will try to push eachother at a Struggle. If someone wins he swats the other one in a random direction with no damage.

Clash: Both players perform the attack and deal half damage to each other.

Melee Battle: The advanced part of the melee. In the Melee Battle a new round starts every two seconds. The melee battle is about the same as regular fighting. Melee Battle rules:
  • You can't move and if you press a button it automatically charges to max.
  • In every round you have a few options for how to act:
    • Dodge (Teleport button) Costs X KI. You can input a diretion
    • Punch (Left mouse button) Costs X KI
    • Kick (Right mouse button) Costs 1.5X KI. You can input a direction
    • Block [Block button (Duh)] Doesn't cost any KI but recieve 50% demage.
  • The one with most speed performs his attack. Ties apply here as well.(Explained above)
  • The Melee Battle ends if:
    • A player chooses to dodge while the other doesn't attack --> The dodging player will teleport a short distance in the direction he chose. If no direction is selected, he will teleport back.
    • A player chooses to block while the other doesn't attack --> The blocking player will jump back
    • One of the players gets Punched 5 times. Then he is knocked out for 2-3 seconds. When two players do Punch and hit each other(Tie) that doesn't count as a punch
    • A direct Kick lands --> The kicked player will be knocked back in the direction that the kicking player pressed. If he didn't press any direction, the player will be knocked backwards.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Heh... I imagine if you're going to suggest a new Melee system, it be more than waht you have there. That's extremely small for a melee system... which is basically half of the game, if not more. I can't say I really like the way your system is going either, it just seems a lot like DMZ's melee system with the kicking and punching. No offense, but I just don't like the style of DMZ's melee. This system seems a lot simpler and... slower.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
the system can be used like the game oni, it is the same melee but then you can do combo's and super moves.
with this melee and oni idea in one it's a hell of a system. :yes:

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I saw that game once, but I never saw a melee system. Anyways, is it like this? And do you think this is a good idea?

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
let's explane how it works in oni so you know wat it is:

left mouse button is punsh and right mouse button is kick(like you said)
when you stand still, you can do an defald kick/punsh but by using the direction buttons you can do some other moves.
everyone has his own super move, here you can see what kind:

konoko:
duck+kick= devil spin kick
duck+punsh= fury punsh

in this way you can do it also in a char

goku:
back+duck+punsh = dragonfist

somthing like that, try to think this system in the melee of yours and it's perfect(don't mind the dragonfist, it's just an exepmle)

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
But if a new round in the melee battle starts every 1 second there's no time to do a combo. But combo's outside of the melee battle are ok. You know how they do beams in DMZ they do combos.

Best answers
I don't like this idea.

It seems too turn-based and static, and isn't really much of an improvement over the current advanced melee system.

Ontop of that, it destroys combos, which is about the only redeeming feature of advanced melee.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
melee is already bin distroid, this is the only way to make it good again

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
i suggested boath rock-paper-sissors and DDR and boath idears got turned down
first 1 they didnt like it
the second 1 is a kill of for the 56k guys (my self included)

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
DDR didnt get turned down. Use advanced melee and you'll see. Anyway, i dont like this idea in the least. It seems like the more complex and idea is, the worse it becomes. Like Phatslugga, i dont like DMZ. I wouldnt want to see esf become a game of button smashing.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
But whats DDR?!?!?
And what makes more sense this or pressing WSADWSAWDSAAAAAWSDAWDSSADWDW all the time?

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I dont like advanced melee but id rather use that than your idea any day. Like i said, esf shouldnt become dmz. DMZ was just plain bad. Thats why its dead now.

DDR= Dance Dance Revolution

Press WAASWSDDASDSSWASSDSAADSW all the time? Unless you played 1.2 the first week it came out and thats it, theres no reason why you shouldnt know that the majority of people use simple melee.

Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I have yet to understand why people are so "in the dark" about advanced melee. It isn't that hard, but of course you aren't going to be a master of it in a day or two. What's the point of even doing anything if it wasn't a challenge to get there?

left-click = punch and right-click = kick? It just doesn't sound very...fun to me at all. I think the current melee system is really well done and very much like dbz. And I know how hard the team worked to make it that way. And then all the fans say "Wah, this melee sucks. I'm not uber good at it. 1.1 melee rules because it's so simplistic anyone can become awesome. Wah, now I actually have to try and work at something to become better. How stupid."

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Zeonix u have a point but isn't this a better system that you won't play with?
And evil trunks I have to correct you. It's the 1.2 system that's bad. Doesn't it make you angry when someone hits you twice all the time? Or when you have like 2,000,000 PL and you can't land a punch on someone with 600,000?(It doesn't happen to me)
Besides what's hard to learn in 1.2? Everything is much easier! you can swoop in 5 more directions and the only thing you have to do is press some drections OR hold right click.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Why would it make me angry that i cant land a punch on someone who is obviously better than me at this game? Id think it a great opportunity to learn some new tricks. Getting hit twice is fine, i just dont like the generic ball that comes afterwards. It takes too long to recover to actually dodge the ball.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It's not that hes better than you. Hes just luckier and knows that W=/\, S=\/, A=< and D=> that's all.

Best answers
uh, if you want that kind of a melee system...go and make your own game? Why should they completely re-write their own melee system from scratch? It works just fine. You said it was much easier to play 1.2, then you complain that you can't hit people. Even if you did said you were talking about a friend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom