Unsteamable User?~~!!

Best answers
i was reading the WON is doing down threat and how everyone was flameing WON what i dont understand is why i mean WON rocks the IDEA of Steam is Awesome but lets face it Steam in general sucks its down frequently but thats not what im really here to talk about

Alot of people have problems with Steam i know some of u might flame them and say that they are stupid blah blah blah but also Some people cant get Steam to work on thier computers period i have friend IRL who cant use steam or it will crash thier computers freeze it and basicly cause mayhem so ESF community if WON goes down What then what about the few people who cant play on steam hmm ?

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
i guess they are just out of luck really :/ sorry to say that but its true. I liked WON as well. won and steam both had their pros and cons. Some people prefer won over steam and some steam over won. and some people were forced to use one or the other. I guess that the people who cant use steam are either going to have to quite or find a way to get it to work. Hey if it works for other people why not them? ya know?

Best answers
ya i hear u i mean i got both i usualy play on WON cus most of my friends are thier but still its a shame that some people cant use steam its really wierd may Valve should look into it since some people do have Legit CD keys and just cant get this program to run

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
i dont understand everyones problems with steam, i read all the bad reports from people on this forum, i downloaded it and NEVER looked back,

better color,
friend list integration
faster server searching,
faster mod browsing,

the only downside to steam that i can see from my end is how the HL and CS files are locked in a cache and you cant replace them without an autioupdate fixing them, (to my knowledge anyways) i had a few custom cs mdoels,

What then what about the few people who cant play on steam hmm
you said it best, FEW,they gave a superior product for the MAJORITY of the people out there, if they let a small percentage of people get in the way of progress, it wouldnt be a very wise move overall,

i know not one person who has problems with steam, (and i know alot of people who use it, with the lan parties and all) i assume the people that cant get it to work just have broken or crappy computers, (by broken i mean has something wrong with it to prevent it from launching steam, not completely busted) and if you fall outside of those 2 categories, your just stuck until you get a new pc, or fix the problem yourself,

last i checked steam was still beta right? so even then at this late of a stage some problems are bound to exist,

Best answers
Steam is almost never down. It had a lot of problems earlier in it's existence yeah, but the only problem it ever has now is that the friend's list is down alot, and that's even improving. And Besides, i could never play on WON. So, how does that make this any different? Steam doesn't work for some people, WON didn't work for others. Yes, Steam still has some problems, but they are getting better, and keep in mind, that it hasn't been around for more than what? a year? two at most? With as many people using it at once as the half-life community does, then updates are harder to do, as they simply have to focus on keeping it up as often as possible, giving them less time to improve it. Personally, i hate how people flame Steam so much, when it's never given me any problems. Yes, steam's vision may have been a bit overambitious, but it's getting there. And if Valve kills WON, they'll have time to work on fixing Steam, so everyone can use it properly.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Punctuation, anyone? :\

Anyway, I used to hate Steam as well, but it's good that they've been working on it. A lot of bugs have already been fixed, and I'm glad they made it LAN-compatible.

Steam makes cheating a lot harder (if not impossible) than on WON, plus you can order and download new games via Steam.

Best answers
Cheating alot harder lol no its just the same as on won they use the same cheat protection and detection that won used just its more public now. I find steam to be a very buggy program still i had it working fine but then i had to reinstall my computer installed steam and friends never logs on lol but i dont care about that. Its the increase in lag and the high pings and the extra resource load that i complain about, but saying that valve has improved this as much as they can got to give them points for trying. Right now valve has the make money first, spend it, then do a little costomer surport and bug tweaking policy lol.

Best answers
nuttzy said:
the only downside to steam that i can see from my end is how the HL and CS files are locked in a cache and you cant replace them without an autioupdate fixing them, (to my knowledge anyways) i had a few custom cs mdoels,
You still can use custom models nuttzy, but only ones made for/converted to 1.6. I'm not sure if the guns from 1.5 screw up, but the character models definately do with the shield, its like a mix of the default pose and totally spazzing out.

To add custom models (or anything custom), goto your "C: \Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\[your email]\counter-strike\cstrike" folder, and place custom models in a new folder called "models". All you have to remember is to name the folders as they were originally named in your sierra folder and you're good to go. Steam sees that you have added a folder there and loads those files instead. The same applies to all the folders you can customise, such as sprites, sound and anything else you want to add stuff to.

Enjoy your custom cs models again ;)

G-Bear
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
I was also pretty Anti-Steam, but they fixed almost every bug.

Steam is only a pain installing, but when installed, its 100x better then WON =).

Best answers
i ahve got srteam to finaly work but it stillis real glitch dont like how it works. pisses me off all the time. It ahs ruined my hl mods when installing so i had to reinstall all 50 mods for hl so that took about 5 hours and on top of that that happened 10 times so about 50 fooking hours wasted on geting steam to work. My friends have had lots of crap with it and stuff. There are few thing i like about it but overall it sucks ass. And most of my mods dont work with steam so i get screwed that why bnot i wont be able to play 40 of my mods Like no more digital paintball dman that game kicks ass. And this sucks for mycompany because with out WON i loose lots of games to host for business. And i cant even install any mods to steam like esf or ation hl because when i install it than i go into steam the mod doesnt show. So all i can play is the ga.y defult mods that come with steam like crappy cs. My life sucks now. No more good old classic games. Oh and top of that i think that means now csbetas wont work nooooo. No more of the good old days beta 5.2 damnit this sucks

Thats why i hate Steam adn shall never use it or hardly ever. So basicly no more hl for me

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Half life doesn't have 50 mods worth playing to my knowledge, and if it took you five hours to cut and paste files I apologize for your lack of finess in the subject. If your life sucks because of steam, I'm even more sorry for you. It's amazing to me though, that if being unable to play a few half life mods ruins your life, that you would simply quit half life altogether. My point is: Stop overreacting. Your old mods still probably work with steam, you just have to make them work. You said you reinstalled them 5 times, which means they probably worked the first four times, right?

Also, a warning :warning: for dodging the swear filter again.

The Steam topic has enough posts going for it and it doesn't need another one. Steam is going to stay around while Won is going to die, live with it or move on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom