My one and only suggestion for ESF...

Best answers
Hey all...I've been playing online first person/third person shooters for a large part of my life now..and there's but one thing I think in this mod needs to be changed-the "balance."...specifically, pl_catchup. I think it's overdoing what needs to be done. If somone with 1 mil PL attacks somone with say, 5 million...they gain a lot more PL than the person would with 5 million if they attacked the 1 million person. Lets say there are 4 other players in the server, all near 3 million. If the 1 million person dies, they gain PL. If the 5 million person dies, they lose PL. The 3 millioners don't really go either way. Basically, if all the fighting was kept even, everyone would eventually equal out to 3 million, and they might eventually work there way up to 4 million.

Anyhoo..now that the setup is..err..set..up...I can explain why I hate pl_catchup. First off, the 1 millioner already gets more PL than the normal for hurting people. Yes, it's harder for him to kill people, to be sure, but every attack he does land is emphasized in PL. The others are left out of this, as they should be. Isn't that enough to balance it out? Shouldn't the 1 millioner have to work his way up? Why make it really easy on him and really hard on the 5 millioner? Also, the 3 millioners are in really bad luck too; they're stuck in limbo. They will hardly move up or down, which is real trouble if they're close to they're transformation point.

I know it's an option, but very, very few servers leave it off. Because of pl_catchup, it's very rare to see a transformed Krillin. With the next patch..I don't see how ANYONE will ever reach their second transformation.

Maybe pl_catchup would work if no new people ever joined the server, but they do.

My suggestion...either make it do a LOT less..have no pl_catchup (or atleast have the default be 0)..and if done, possibly make the gain from attacking higher characters bigger, if need be. This is the only game I can think of where players are hurt because they are doing well.

I know, I'm just another player, and not a very frequent one at that, and I really appreciate all the work the mod team has done on ESF; it truely is a great mod...it's just that I think it could be better, as nothing is perfect ;)

Anyhoo..I figured I should atleast put it up for discussion, as it has been bothering me for a long time.

The Krazy One
✔️ HL Verified
🎈 Advanced
Best answers
I agree with this. The pl_catchup is actually quite annoying. Especially when new people join, their powerlevels are in the hundred thousand mark, while everyone else is at the 3-6 million mark. Which can really hurt their powerlevels if they ever get killed. Either it should only count between the person being killed, and the person doing the killing, or tone it down ALOT, so that way people won't have a big powerlevel drop.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
well theres a cvar for this.. u can change this

The Krazy One
✔️ HL Verified
🎈 Advanced
Best answers
Yah it's either on or off :S. For those people who want the Powerlevel Catchup feature, it should be tweaked alittle more.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
imkongkong said:
well theres a cvar for this.. u can change this
what if its not your server.. then there is nothing you can do about it unless you ask the person and they say "sure" or if its a dedicated server... then your even more screwed. and should just leave if it annoys you that much

Best answers
Sir_Vival said:
Hey all...I've been playing online first person/third person shooters for a large part of my life now..and there's but one thing I think in this mod needs to be changed-the "balance."...specifically, pl_catchup. I think it's overdoing what needs to be done. If somone with 1 mil PL attacks somone with say, 5 million...they gain a lot more PL than the person would with 5 million if they attacked the 1 million person. Lets say there are 4 other players in the server, all near 3 million. If the 1 million person dies, they gain PL. If the 5 million person dies, they lose PL. The 3 millioners don't really go either way. Basically, if all the fighting was kept even, everyone would eventually equal out to 3 million, and they might eventually work there way up to 4 million.

Anyhoo..now that the setup is..err..set..up...I can explain why I hate pl_catchup. First off, the 1 millioner already gets more PL than the normal for hurting people. Yes, it's harder for him to kill people, to be sure, but every attack he does land is emphasized in PL. The others are left out of this, as they should be. Isn't that enough to balance it out? Shouldn't the 1 millioner have to work his way up? Why make it really easy on him and really hard on the 5 millioner? Also, the 3 millioners are in really bad luck too; they're stuck in limbo. They will hardly move up or down, which is real trouble if they're close to they're transformation point.

I know it's an option, but very, very few servers leave it off. Because of pl_catchup, it's very rare to see a transformed Krillin. With the next patch..I don't see how ANYONE will ever reach their second transformation.

Maybe pl_catchup would work if no new people ever joined the server, but they do.

My suggestion...either make it do a LOT less..have no pl_catchup (or atleast have the default be 0)..and if done, possibly make the gain from attacking higher characters bigger, if need be. This is the only game I can think of where players are hurt because they are doing well.

I know, I'm just another player, and not a very frequent one at that, and I really appreciate all the work the mod team has done on ESF; it truely is a great mod...it's just that I think it could be better, as nothing is perfect ;)

Anyhoo..I figured I should atleast put it up for discussion, as it has been bothering me for a long time.
I'm thinking about adding a 3rd option to pl_catchup, which would make you only gain pl on death, if below the server avg, not lose it (unless you kill yourself, in that case I think you deserve to lose pl).

As for the weak character gaining more pl when hitting a strong character, I think this is only fair because:
- Stronger players do more damage and would otherwise gain more pl for hitting with the same attack
- It partly prevents strong players to pick on weaker players
- It is more skillful to hit a player with a strong pl than it would be to hit someone with a weak pl. I think this should be calculated into the pl gain.

Best answers
Great idea harsens, just what i was about to say. I think that it should indeed bring the lower PL guy up, but you shouldn't loose PL for dying, its hard to get your PL, you shouldn't lose it for anything. I mean, i go 43 and 0 and then he finally kills me, i'd probably loose about half my PL. Not really fair IMHO

Best answers
I'm thinking about adding a 3rd option to pl_catchup, which would make you only gain pl on death, if below the server avg, not lose it (unless you kill yourself, in that case I think you deserve to lose pl).
That sounds absolutely great...especially if made the default.

And I didn't mean to sound like the weaker character getting more PL from hurting a stronger character a bad thing, at all. I like it. I just thought it combined with pl_catchup was too much.

Best answers
Personally i would have to say pl_catchup is going to be retarted in future updates...like say when and if they do Goku can go ssj3 with this pl_catchup well it will be impossible to get to the power required...think about it....im not that good but it takes for ever to get stronger unless u are lucky enough to go up against a lot of n00bs, and thats only to get to ssj1....they would have to definitaly change pl_catchup in the future updates.

The Krazy One
✔️ HL Verified
🎈 Advanced
Best answers
Yah it would be quite annoying to reach the added transformations. Unless they make it so transformation 1 and 2 are 1mil apart, and transformation 3 is 1.5mil away after going transformation 2.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
That would never happen (I hope). I hate pl catchup it takes years to get close to 2 mil with vegeta because of that.

Best answers
power level catch up is there BECAUSE new people join the server. If it wasn't one person would end up owning the server eventually, and no one would want to play with them. Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

Best answers
there should be a set limit for gaining PL but people with a lower PL should get a bonus. so the 500 thousands get a PL bonus while the 3 mil ups get it at the normal rate

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
So what do you do when there are 2 ppl with over 4 mil and 6 ppl with start PL? you get stuck with the same PL cause you kill 2 ppl then the strong ones kill you and pl_catchup gets you back where you were.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom