can't install the game

Best answers
i know this has been asked before but i couldnt find any serious answers :(
i downloaded the full and the lite installers (multiple times) but both did not work
they always crashed at some point, reporting a write error. (no, my disk is not full, i have 2 GB spare)

i finally managed it to at least start by using the dedicated server b1.2 .zip file and patching that to b1.2.1 using the client patch.
now i can run the game and join servers but as soon as i start playing i have strange things on my screen which dont match the screenshots at all :) i also have framerate issues while playing (i.e. framerate goes down to 5spf (seconds per frame) and worse, even total freeze)
i think i'm probably missing some files and esf uses the default HL files for them...
does anyone have a clue on how to solve this problem? how to install it properly or fix my bugged install.

btw, I use Steam on Win2k SP3 and use the NTFS5 file system.

Best answers
Read the post, please :)
I downloaded the b1.2 lite version from esfworld i think.
I ran that lite version installer and everything was fine until the install program just froze.
I tried this a couple of times, it always freezes on the same file.

I also downloaded that installer from multiple sources and compared them using fc /b which reported them as matching. This means that i can rule out download errors.

I tried to work around the bugged installer by using the dedicated server stuff, but it did not work... completely.

btw: I'm not a HL/Steam nub, so I certainly know how to install a mod when the installer is NOT bugged ;)

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I was just checking, don't take it the wrong way please :)

Well if the installer always stops on the same file, i'd place my bet on the installer being corrupt.
Did every single installer you downloaded stop at the same file?

Best answers
I have a limited download volume, so i only downloaded each installer twice and compared the two downloads, resulting in match.
the chance that i download that both downloads are the same and i still dont have the same thing that is on the server is extremely low... about 1:200 million for the full installer
so i'm pretty sure that re-downloading won't help ;)

the full installers both stopped at the same file (gamestartup.mp3)
and the lite installers also both stopped at the same file (esf_city.bsp)
both are reporting "Could not write file, your disk may be full!" after a long delay (delay is longer on the full installer than on the lite installer)

i know this sounds corrupt-ish

but it is either a bug in the installer or the file is stored corrupted on the server.
decide for yourself, which one is more likely :)

as it seems i'm not the only one currently having this problem ^^
http://forum.esforces.com/showthread.php?t=46474

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom