PDA

View Full Version : Pimp the joe, PIMP him.

imported_grOOvy
Aug 15th, 2004, 12:41 AM
Pimp the joe, PIMP him.

http://www.esforces.com/?p=journals&u=pcjoe

What'cha think?

SuperDragonFist
Aug 15th, 2004, 12:44 AM
it sounds like 1.3 is coming along great :) good work joe

imported_TwisteR
Aug 15th, 2004, 12:45 AM
Im actually quite anxious to see this in action. Props to you, Pcjoe.

TehMuffinMan
Aug 15th, 2004, 12:45 AM
PIMP HIMMAH! :|~~

sounds great indeed, i like the sound of everyone being able to toy around with pieces ;d

DragonDude
Aug 15th, 2004, 12:49 AM
Go pseudocode! And Joe! =D

Krazy-Killa
Aug 15th, 2004, 01:09 AM
OMG. Being able to modify the FXs of each transformation is such a feat. Cant' wait to try this puppy out, and pimp out some really wicked transformations.

GOOD JOB PCJOE!!!!!!!! :D

IMPORTED_SSJG3_VEGETA_SSJ
Aug 15th, 2004, 01:11 AM
Damn. GJ pcjoe.

Pcjoe
Aug 15th, 2004, 01:24 AM
Thanks guys ^_^
When we release Beta 1.3 I'll be sure to have a full documentation on syntax, along with some simple tutorials.

SailorAlea
Aug 15th, 2004, 01:33 AM
Joe is almost > Ninpou. ( those of you who don't understand what I mean, you never will! :D )

Krazy-Killa
Aug 15th, 2004, 01:47 AM
Sweet Joe. Custom Transformations, here we come!!! :D

I see transformation times won't be modifyable. Another question, about the camera movement. Will you be able to control pitch, yaw, and position of the camera, or just the normal x,y movements?

goku_ssj_uk
Aug 15th, 2004, 02:13 AM
hmm so cinematic in the sense of DOD? Nice.

Pcjoe
Aug 15th, 2004, 02:44 AM

I see transformation times won't be modifyable.
We could make the transformation times a cvar, but I think it's better we leave it at one set value.

Another question, about the camera movement. Will you be able to control pitch, yaw, and position of the camera, or just the normal x,y movements?
You'll have complete control over the pitch/yaw/roll, and the movement in general. You can also tell it how to go from position A to B. For example, you can
A) Interpolate in a strait line from A to B
B) Rotate from A to B using the player origin as the rotation point.
C) Instantly reposition the camera to point B, no interpolation.
D) Acouple other fancy ways i cant think atm ^_^
The rotation of an object is on a different 'timeline' then the movement of the object. For example, you make the camera origin blend from point A starting at 0 seconds to point B at 6 seconds. During that 6 seconds, you can make the camera look left at 2 seconds, rotate to look at the sky at 4 seconds, and rotate to look at the player at 6 seconds.

SSJ Shin Carl
Aug 15th, 2004, 02:45 AM
Will it be difficult to make our own transformations?

Canon's Food
Aug 15th, 2004, 02:51 AM
i was thinking about this: what if eveyone has his own transformation script, and they want to join a server, which has other sounds/sprites/models to precache for the transformations, so the clients have to download these sounds/sprites/models from the server, right? wouldn't that be annoying? (that reminds me of AMX plugins)
anyway nice idea

Pcjoe
Aug 15th, 2004, 02:52 AM
Will it be difficult to make our own transformations?
Look at my dev journal post, you'll have to type code like that. If that's difficult for you, then yes, it will be hard to make your own transformations.

EricW
Aug 15th, 2004, 02:55 AM
Look at my dev journal post, you'll have to type code like that. If that's difficult for you, then yes, it will be hard to make your own transformations.

Now people will have motivation to learn how to code. Good work Joe, :)

Shuyin
Aug 15th, 2004, 03:59 AM
Sounds good to me. I also like the fact you become immune for your first time assending. So you can experience uninterupted ascension whenever you reach a new form, which is a good compromisation between those who want transformation immunity and those who don't.

KilledWithStyle
Aug 15th, 2004, 05:01 AM
I like it. Is there a way I could make the transform as LONG as I want?
-Also-
Was this an attempt to appease those that have made mods like evm?

Krazy-Killa
Aug 15th, 2004, 05:21 AM

I see transformation times won't be modifyable.We could make the transformation times a cvar, but I think it's better we leave it at one set value.

Another question, about the camera movement. Will you be able to control pitch, yaw, and position of the camera, or just the normal x,y movements?You'll have complete control over the pitch/yaw/roll, and the movement in general. You can also tell it how to go from position A to B. For example, you can
A) Interpolate in a strait line from A to B
B) Rotate from A to B using the player origin as the rotation point.
C) Instantly reposition the camera to point B, no interpolation.
D) Acouple other fancy ways i cant think atm ^_^
The rotation of an object is on a different 'timeline' then the movement of the object. For example, you make the camera origin blend from point A starting at 0 seconds to point B at 6 seconds. During that 6 seconds, you can make the camera look left at 2 seconds, rotate to look at the sky at 4 seconds, and rotate to look at the player at 6 seconds.Wow, that's some really awesome **** there. :laff:

Oh, you can control the sprites and how they're shown correct? If so, will you be able to use the lightning sprites currently used for Goku's Transformation

imkongkong
Aug 15th, 2004, 05:28 AM
go joe! YAHooO it sounds great, i love the idea of the first time transformin

Hibiki
Aug 15th, 2004, 05:38 AM
Sounds good to me. I also like the fact you become immune for your first time assending. So you can experience uninterupted ascension whenever you reach a new form, which is a good compromisation between those who want transformation immunity and those who don't.

i still dont like the idea of being able to avoid any attack just cause u transformed for the first time

Pcjoe
Aug 15th, 2004, 05:42 AM
i still dont like the idea of being able to avoid any attack just cause u transformed for the first time
It's not really a big deal. If it becomes an issue, we could leave the player open to attack for the first 0.5 - 1.0 second(s), and then enable invulnerability for the rest.

I like it. Is there a way I could make the transform as LONG as I want?
-Also-
Was this an attempt to appease those that have made mods like evm?
1) Like I said before, I would prefer to have that hard-coded. If you're the admin and you set the first transformation to 15 seconds when it's only 10, all of the clients that join your server will be sitting there for an extra 5 seconds without effects. I should have probably mentioned this earlier, but these effects are 100% clientside. If you change your transformation fx script file, it wont effect what others see.
2) Not at all, I made this for Darktooth. He likes having control and going nuts with it ^_^

Oh, you can control the sprites and how they're shown correct? If so, will you be able to use the lightning sprites currently used for Goku's Transformation
Not sure if I'll offer that much control. You'll beable to select gokus lightning particle FX, control how fast they come out / fade / etc, but you wont beable to take other particle systems and make them start emitting lightning bolts.

!XxShAdOwxX!
Aug 15th, 2004, 06:09 AM
Nice job Joe.

*PIMPs Joe*

KilledWithStyle
Aug 15th, 2004, 06:58 AM
Himm so, because of the length of the allowed transformation. We can auctally make transformations 100% exactly like the show (exept the showing water and enemy cringing scenes)

I wonder if its possible to make a diffrent transformation script for each character. Then inside the character script, figure out what map it is, and move the camera angles around based on the current map.

Kinda like: (c++ is rusty, but I think its like this) (of course, this is inside the if statement for the amount of time taken)
case map: esf_canyon
{ do effects stuff }
case map: ape_city
{ do effects for this map }
default:
{ default transformation script }

Goten-son
Aug 15th, 2004, 07:05 AM
sounds awsome ^_^

SaiyanPrideXIX
Aug 15th, 2004, 07:23 AM
*****ing. Nuff said.

Pcjoe
Aug 15th, 2004, 07:26 AM
Himm so, because of the length of the allowed transformation. We can auctally make transformations 100% exactly like the show (exept the showing water and enemy cringing scenes)

I wonder if its possible to make a diffrent transformation script for each character. Then inside the character script, figure out what map it is, and move the camera angles around based on the current map.

Kinda like: (c++ is rusty, but I think its like this) (of course, this is inside the if statement for the amount of time taken)
case map: esf_canyon
{ do effects stuff }
case map: ape_city
{ do effects for this map }
default:
{ default transformation script }
I dont know how useful that would be... It's not like you can set the camera at random spots around the level. The camera will be relitive to the player, meaning {0,0,0} = player origin.

KilledWithStyle
Aug 15th, 2004, 07:28 AM
Then why dont you make it so the camera can be detached for the first transformation and teleported/moved as pleased.

Pcjoe
Aug 15th, 2004, 07:32 AM
Then why dont you make it so the camera can be detached for the first transformation and teleported/moved as pleased.
That's assuming you're at X location in the level. Lets say you're on esf_cell_day. The 'ideal' location to transform is in the center of the ring. What if you're on the other side of the level? You start transforming, the camera teleports across the level, and all you can see is the huge rock between you and the ring.

jp
Aug 15th, 2004, 08:55 AM
Wow man, i can't wait for 1.3.

Coding your own transformations, and it looks simple to! :D

Great job Pcjoe! :yes:

SSJ Shin Carl
Aug 15th, 2004, 01:36 PM
I guess it will be my time to learn to code =D.

Devion
Aug 15th, 2004, 03:43 PM
Reminds of editing BFP ;o

Super Veggeto
Aug 15th, 2004, 05:19 PM
sounds great man!
cant wait to see more progress from you guys =D

Aquamarine
Aug 15th, 2004, 06:00 PM
OMGAWD :o GJ PC gimme ur PC and everything will be A.OK :D LOOKS LIKE 1.3 SHALL BE TEH SEXEH :o

Pcjoe
Aug 15th, 2004, 06:17 PM
You guys won't really have to learn how to code, it's really quite simple... There are acouple simple rules
1) You have C and C++ style comments. As in

/* THIS
WILL BE IGNORED by
the program
*/
This will not be ignored
// This will be ignored until i press enter
this will not be ignored again
The code will processes the script and just get

This will not be ignored
this will not be ignored again
2) Extra spaces and pressing enter is irrelevent. On almost every line ; means 'new line'. There are some exceptions like you dont put it after [precache], Translonger/shorterthan(), etc. For example

[precache]
{
models/aura.wrl;
models/diamond.wrl;
models/explosion.wrl;
sprites/dust1.spr;
sprites/dust2.spr;
}
and

[precache]{models/aura.wrl;models/diamond.wrl;models/explosion.wrl;sprites/dust1.spr;sprites/dust2.spr;}

mean the same exact thing.
3) The rest is all pretty strait forward...

>goku_ssj1< // Inverse the < signs, html cuts them out (like it did in my dev)
{
// At 0.9 seconds, play the sound goku/blast.wav
AddSound(0.9,goku/blast.wav);

// If the transformation is longer then 5 seconds, add an aura
Translongerthan(5)
{
/* Make the aura pop up at 0 seconds, make it go bye bye
* at the end of the transformation. the keyword 'durration' will
* replace its self with the total length of the transformation. The
* 3rd parameter, 15, means spawn the aura so it's 15 units big. the
* last param just says use aura.wrl. The modifier is used to
* configure extra options, like rotation, placement, rendering style,
* etc
*/

modifier gokuaura = AddModel(0, durration, 15, aura.wrl);
gokuaura.dispmode = transparent; // Render a transparent aura
gokuaura.roty = -30; // Rotate -30 degrees per second
// etc etc
}
}

KilledWithStyle
Aug 15th, 2004, 06:26 PM
He said he was going to create a help file that includes everything that you can do.

Question, can others see the person's unique transformations that they make? (if they have all the models and sprites required)

Evil_Trunks
Aug 15th, 2004, 06:26 PM
Absolutely astounding. Joe, if you were a woman, I would make sweet love to you. :rolleyes:

And I'm jealous that your huge brain always comes up with this stuff...jerk :p

imported_Bjusterbaarlik
Aug 15th, 2004, 06:32 PM
This is so damn cool! I can't wait to see all those sweet transformations, or to even make them myself. Awesome!!

SSjGokuGogeta
Aug 15th, 2004, 07:01 PM
well im kinda back after getting ban :____
(pm if u wanna know i think even i know =\)
anyway the reason im only now back is i got learning c++ in school thank god pc joe just gave me a reason to keep listening was giving cuz my crazy passion for esf!
GJ!!!!!!!!!!!!
i wonder now it will make allot of new sections.... ilke "new TransForms"
in Esfworld and others dont wanna advertise :D
anyway looks cool i can even understand a bit and just want to see its amazing very nice job to all the team joe especialy
jking :)

btw what was that on the main page TESTING 1.2.2 i didnt heard anything about it :_ can someone make enlighten me a bit?

Pcjoe
Aug 15th, 2004, 07:03 PM
He said he was going to create a help file that includes everything that you can do.

Question, can others see the person's unique transformations that they make? (if they have all the models and sprites required)
If you send them your transformation script file and the custom sounds/sprites/models you precached, yes, they'll beable to see your unique transformations.

Tassadar
Aug 16th, 2004, 02:54 AM
That is a giant step in one update, probably call for countless hours of testing and work.
Great job joe, keep up the good work.

Phatslugga
Aug 16th, 2004, 05:07 AM
Wow, 1.3 is going to be awesome. Not only do we get new transformations (which means I get to use the Majin Vegeta Model \o/), we get the new powerstruggling system and this nifty feature joe is working on. WOOT for the ESF team.

Canon's Food
Aug 17th, 2004, 06:16 PM
If you send them your transformation script file and the custom sounds/sprites/models you precached, yes, they'll beable to see your unique transformations.
but he won't see his own unique transformation if he transforms because he has your script, right?. Maybe you can make it like this: if the other person has the needed models/sounds/sprites for your transformation and if you transform, he sees your transformation. If he transforms himself, he'll see HIS own transformation. But if he doesn't have the files, he'll see his transformation if you transform. (sorry for the bad english :p )

Pcjoe
Aug 17th, 2004, 06:40 PM
but he won't see his own unique transformation if he transforms because he has your script, right?. Maybe you can make it like this: if the other person has the needed models/sounds/sprites for your transformation and if you transform, he sees your transformation. If he transforms himself, he'll see HIS own transformation. But if he doesn't have the files, he'll see his transformation if you transform. (sorry for the bad english :p )
Um... No?
They're not used like that. You have a script file that describes the transformation effects (100% clientside). If you receive a transformation script file and he doesnt send you the custom models/sprites (assuming he uses any), it will
a) Crash
b) Display nothing for the sprites you dont have
That shouldn't be happening though, that's like sending someone a map without the textures.

Amayirot Akago
Aug 17th, 2004, 10:28 PM
You guys never cease to amaze me. It's remarkable what you can pull off with such an old engine.

Heh, I'm gonna have lots of fun with this feature when 1.3 is released :D

JoeJustJoe2
Aug 18th, 2004, 01:26 AM
/me confused ...
I know u can customize ur own trans...anything else i dunno...lol..anybody explain it in english instead of c++

MickeyG
Aug 18th, 2004, 09:51 AM
pcjoe did it in english AND gave an example of the code you need to know.
it's not that hard :S

you'll see when it's released ;)

Tassadar
Aug 18th, 2004, 10:12 AM
A quick question. Will 1.3 include... presets so to speak? For the people that don't feel like messing with scripts and just want to play (not to say it's hard).
Also, the idea is great, but I can't say I see the point unless you actually see your opponants transformations, obviously a feature that automaticly gave your transformations to other people would lead to serious problems if there is code in it to execute an exit command or something. And if the time of the trans is set in the script, how will anyone else's client know how long the transformation will be (unless I misread and the time is not adjustable)?

imported_TwisteR
Aug 18th, 2004, 10:27 AM
The time will most likely not be adjustable. If a client has a transformation configured to last say 10 seconds, and the server host has his for 9, it wouldnt work out.
Its going to work like models do. If you have a transformation customized, youll see it, and the other people will see what they have set for the transformations. Unless they send you their script file, you wont see theirs.

Kurt`
Aug 23rd, 2004, 04:28 AM
You start transforming, the camera teleports across the level, and all you can see is the huge rock between you and the ring.

I'm assuming you are adding clipping for the camera, in case someone transforms near a level surface. (using tracelines or w/e, you can shoot out a zillion of them because it's client side :P)

Sounds like a cool feature to me. Good job, Joe.

Pcjoe
Aug 23rd, 2004, 04:39 AM
I'm assuming you are adding clipping for the camera, in case someone transforms near a level surface. (using tracelines or w/e, you can shoot out a zillion of them because it's client side :P)
Ofcourse :-) Hmm, guess your character will still be visible, but it would still be kinda akward.

Sounds like a cool feature to me. Good job, Joe.
thanks ^_^

arucard89
Aug 23rd, 2004, 09:19 AM
thing im most hyped about is 'All transformations' =D

that and new prettyful auras and such