Forum Suggestion

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
This isn't related to the ESF game but to the forum you're reading this on, my suggestion is simply to get some form of points scheme for members based on their suggestions

Rough idea:

+30 for suggestions that get into the game
+10 for a good suggestion (lots of positive feedback)
+5 for good contribution to someone else's idea or thread
-5 for ideas suggested before
-10 for ideas mentioned in the sticky
-20 for recieving a warning

The mods/admins edit peoples points accordingly and the total's are displayed somewhere near the members avatar.

I know there is some sort of points thingy (the green square) at the top right of each post but this points scheme is to encourage clearer thinking when posting and for people to get creative with their ideas etc

If you don't like this idea then don't tell me i'm a sux (I know this already), i'm not telling you how to run your forum, it is, after all, your forum, I just think this would be a cool idea.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
that could work out for the better, would have ppl using the search bar for topics before they post, less double topics, and clearer explinations. And would also rule out those right out suggestions. And encourage more creative ideas.

Great suggestion :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes:

Old School
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
We tried a reputation system, with points that were calculated by posting good/bad comments, giving you a certain reputation status. People abused it, posting blank comments and "verbal" abuse, so it was decided that the reputation feature was to be disabled.

But having points for suggesting things, is pointless. I dont see any good coming from it. If anything, people would spam suggestions just to get points.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Suggestions already spammed as is, I've seen a guy who suggested Lightning in gokus trans... o_O

And some others that just dont make sense and the suggestor doesn't even know what he's talking about himself. :S

With the suggestion points it would get ppl to have understandable suggestions and ones with points..

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm not telling you how to do your jobs but don't the mods delete and ban the spammers and abusers? The good that can come from the idea is, well, read RavenTrunks' post, the forum wouldn't fill up with the same tired suggestions over and over and if someone recieved a certain negative number then you could deal punishments like freezing accounts or something along those lines.

Instead of just closing threads and telling people it's been suggested before (a seemlingy common response) it would force people to actually look and think about what they've written.

The way I see it, it's easier to suggest something without using the search function, and if it's been suggested before then it's closed and thats that, theres no consequence if you don't search or rather, theres no incentive to search as it just wastes the posters time.

Old School
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ravendust said:
I'm not telling you how to do your jobs but don't the mods delete and ban the spammers and abusers? The good that can come from the idea is, well, read RavenTrunks' post, the forum wouldn't fill up with the same tired suggestions over and over and if someone recieved a certain negative number then you could deal punishments like freezing accounts or something along those lines.
But how are these points going to stop people from posting already suggested things? People will act, reguardless of what their point status is, im sure.

Im not saying its totally useless, I know where youre coming from with the idea, Im just saying I doubt it will make people post differently.

RavenTrunks said:
With the suggestion points it would get ppl to have understandable suggestions and ones with points..
How will these points make your suggestion more understandable? Are you saying, that only people with a certain status are the only ones that have ideas worth reading? Because, if you have a small amount of points, then people wouldnt want to read it, but it could be a good idea, and something you might see in the next version. Even if someone had low points, the suggestion would get read.

(btw RavenTrunks, thanks for posting that thread. Didnt see it before.)

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Majin Prince said:
How will these points make your suggestion more understandable? Are you saying, that only people with a certain status are the only ones that have ideas worth reading? Because, if you have a small amount of points, then people wouldnt want to read it, but it could be a good idea, and something you might see in the next version. Even if someone had low points, the suggestion would get read.
Im not saying that, and the points shouldn't be shown by the thread, just in the post. That way you read the suggestions. The points if ppl cared about it like you said, spamming to get more, they would get better ideas, encourage with small rewards. And the just plain spamming, reason why theres a negative points in the system.

(And your welcome for the thread i showed you. Look around thats not the only crazy one...)

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
But how are these points going to stop people from posting already suggested things? People will act, reguardless of what their point status is, im sure.
-5 for ideas suggested before
if someone recieved a certain negative number then you could deal punishments like freezing accounts or something along those lines.
It's a system for punishing people with low points, you get lower points (e.g -25) and you lose the ability to post, forumites like to post and would not like this privilege to be taken away from them. If you have higher points by being a good user/poster then you have less cause to be banned or frozen etc.

Also, it'll encourage people to spellcheck if you make a small penalty on posts with inane spelling and grammer (the sticky says to have good spelling and grammar, but that doesn't stop people talking like 5 year olds) All you do is cut and paste the post (before you send it) into MS Word, spellcheck, cut and paste back to the forum message box. I think this is what RavenTrunks meant by people having 'understandable suggestions'. I know there are non-English speaking users who use translators like Alta Vista's BabelFish to post, and that always gives perfect spelling.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ideas that Have been suggested many times and without good explinations on how the idea would work are all over the forums. Honestly i think im one of the very few that could clearly explain what im talking about. this point system could get others to straighten out there suggestions and state them clearly IF they want points, spamming would do no good.

The points wouldnt work on how many suggestions are made(spamming), but by the feedback that is given to the thread from the visiters/mods

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The problem is people would either:

A.) Ignore somebody who had negative/low points;
B.) Ignore the point system altogether.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
A) Well that would be down to personal preference, if you choose to ignore someone with negative points it's not entirely unjustified because they must've done something to get negative points in the first place, but I doubt many people would ignore on points, some people just ignore regardless.

B) This system isn't for people with high points to big themselves up over other users, but to filter out the bad from the good, and to mould the bad into better posters. It's also a hard thing to ignore if your account has been frozen because of it. I doubt they'd make the same mistake twice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom