PDA

View Full Version : the Best game engine.?

petum
Sep 4th, 2004, 09:13 AM
Hi, i'm searching for good game engine.
I don't won't h-l engine couse the game musn't be mod.
Please give links! :smile:

DragonDude
Sep 4th, 2004, 09:27 AM
I'd personally use the Torque Engine. If I wasn't developing a mod now I'd probably be doing something on it. I won't post a link to it since my intentions aren't advertisement, but you could easily find it with a Google search.
I believe a basic license costs about $100 USD, but you recieve the full C++ source to the engine, which you won't with some others.

petum
Sep 4th, 2004, 09:41 AM
uhm.. i need engine to practice. 100$ will not be any investment :]
i'm looking for kind of free engines like: Genesis Engine.

jp
Sep 4th, 2004, 10:35 AM
Source engine, its the best.

DragonDude
Sep 4th, 2004, 11:49 PM
I don't won't h-l engine couse the game musn't be mod. He wants an engine he can use to make his game stand-alone.

Kurt`
Sep 5th, 2004, 02:11 AM
For an FPS or for someone new to tweaking engine source, I would recommend Quake 2 (which Half Life is somewhat based off of, although with Quake 2, you get access to the engine source as well.)

ftp://ftp.idsoftware.com/idstuff/quake2/source/

Grega
Sep 5th, 2004, 11:16 PM
well if you are interested in 2D you should use the M.U.G.E.N. engine its totaly free and should be an easy start but i dont have aney links

petum
Sep 7th, 2004, 04:38 PM
well.. i'm interested in 3d engine like torque. You know whre i can download Torque Engine without license? it would be really cool ;]

Rick
Sep 7th, 2004, 04:46 PM
If you want a simple 3d engine for practice Cube (http://wouter.fov120.com/cube/) is nice :]

petum
Sep 7th, 2004, 04:54 PM
Thanks, it looks good :). But it seems that there is linux version only?
[later] uhm. ok it linux 'n windows compatibile :D bye