Ringout Entity

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
This ones for mappers, and would require adding to the esf fgd

Basically what i'm after is a brush based entity that keeps a model 'down' for a few seconds (when they're knocked to the floor, instead of getting up they stay down for three seconds) and then makes it dissapear, giving a frag to whoever knocked them into the entity. This would be for maps like the budokai arena with the grass outside the ring, it would give a frag regardless of whether the attack killed them or not.

Traditionally you can have a brush entity that deals 999 damage covering the grass, but this means that on contact, the player explodes and blood and gibs go EVERYWHERE and it looks strange for a clean tournament match. So the ringout entity would do the same without the blood or gibs or causing the model to vaporise.

Best answers
This seems like it could be an option like team play, CTDB... and I think I already said yes to an idea like that! :yes:

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
good idea, i also like to see the rain entity in the esf fgd

Best answers
Yeah like the Martial arts tournament, that would be awesome, though with the throwing it woul dbe very easy to lose.

Shogi says yes.

Validated Steam Engine
🌈 Beta Tester
✔️ HL Verified
🌹 Regular Rosé
Best answers
This idea is pretty good. Would be very interesting to try.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
a trick for this would be to make it so the ground outside the ring kills you instantly

edit: oops you already said some4thing about this, i didnt really read your whole post, sry

King of the Hello Kitty Fanclub
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yeah numerous times i've tried to make a world tournament match (with friends on LAN) but we never could get the idea to work since it was too easy for someone to lose or if someone did lose they'd never own up.
I'm up for it!

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
wy don't you just put an black box around it and make it instandkill, just make it an trigger_hurt and make the hp meter 400.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I have and it makes the characters explode, read the second half of my first post. If you make any damage entity, then it will relate to the variable of the players health, if i made it do 100 damage per second then it wouldn't kill players at first, but after 3 seconds or whatever, meaning they could touch the grass and fly off and not have it count as a frag, and if they do die then the entity keeps damaging the (dead) player, causing the model to 'bleed' and then explode again. Basically I need it to instantly 'kill' the player without causing any blood or gibs or without a death sound wav.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
then make it an thin wall so he dies but doesn't splash in 10 peaces

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If there was to be a tournament mode then throwing should be disabled, but I don't want a tournament mode, I want to make a map that allows ringouts, throwing would be a problem but if the team made an option to disable throwing (like 1.1) then I don't think there would be a problem.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yes thank you for that, read the thread, I want to MAKE a map that causes them NOT to explode when they touch the ground, and for that I need a ringout entity, so thats what I suggested.

Best answers
well im not a mapper and i cant think of any idea to make hls trigger hurts stop vaporizing the chars but this idea might work:

make the grass teleport the player outside the map into a trigger hurt... a small box is enough i think

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Best idea yet, but I tried it and it has two flaws:

1) The model vanishes as soon as it touches the grass
2) Nobody gets the frag point, which means that the players are trying NOT to hit them out of the ring.

Sorry, it was a good try, but I still feel a new entity is needed.

Best answers
Maybe a "Tournament" gameplay mode could be created, disabling some moves such as throwing to ensure fairness.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I was wondering about making a tournament mode, not through the team though, i asked if they would allow outsiders (like me gathering ppl)to make a tournament game mode that would be like an "add-on" to douwnload like EVM was. But the team never replied, at least they should have said no...
if I had permission i woulda rounded up some good commited ppl, i know a few guys in person that could help me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom