Out with the new, and in with the old

The Sinister Minister
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Here's a very basic thread for all of us who were alive and sentient for the golden age of the Atari (the Atari 2600, for most of us, I'm guessing). I just remembered that I got a box of Atari games and 3 Atari 2600's from my buddy 2 years back, and I hooked it up, finding, once again, how basic, but horribly addicting some of those old games can be.

So, I figured it would be a "groovy" or "nifty" idea to ask, for those that play(ed) the Atari a fair bit, what your favourite Atari game (or games, if you cannot decide, like me) is/are.

For me, it comes down to an old classic, Pitfall, or Missle Command...which was sort of a more fulfilling version of Space Invaders.

Now let's see who the real "vintage" gamers are here ^_^

Post your favourites!

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Aaah Pitfall.....Pitfall > all.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Missle command was good, lunar lander comes in a close second.

Best answers
Missle command was my favorite. Played Frogger, sucked at it though.

Best answers
im only old enough to remeber when the first sega came out it was pretty cool at the time

brainfeeder
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
BattleZone = The best and most addictive 2600 game ever.

King of the Hello Kitty Fanclub
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
No atari for me, I can remember as far back as NES.
Go Duck Hunt!!!

KyoKusanagi

K
first game i remember playing was Alex Kidd in Miracle world on a friends Master System 2 when it first came out. Man...that game brings back so many memories.

Bolteh2

B
pitfall man.. pitfall was THE game of that time :p

only good games i remember on the NES were super mario bros and some game with a snake that had to eat stuff and it gained little balls as body :p

damn addictive games!

The Sinister Minister
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Bolteh said:
some game with a snake that had to eat stuff and it gained little balls as body
That's Centipede, I believe - another 2600 classic...man, that one got tough, especially when your Centipede got long enough to fill up the better part of the screen >_<

Another I just remembered was Breakout...which was, basically a variation on Pong...that was TERRIBLY addicting - adding an extra ball and an extra paddle made things horribly difficult >_>

Keep those classics coming!

The Duke of Juke
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Did anyone of you ever play the old ET game for I think it was the 2600? I remember just running around and dying everyonce in a while because I didn't know what was going on. I'd like to pick it up again sometime outta curiosity.

The Sinister Minister
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Deman said:
Did anyone of you ever play the old ET game for I think it was the 2600? I remember just running around and dying everyonce in a while because I didn't know what was going on. I'd like to pick it up again sometime outta curiosity.
Oh my God, yes! I got that game in the box my buddy handed over to me - I am just as confused about the purpose as you are/were - I remember running into a figure in a trench coat from time to time, then falling into the occasional pit, hovering out, and continuing - I think I may have the manual for it, but I'm doubtful of that....should it turn up, I'll try to decipher the riddle that is the purpose of the game.

Best answers
Deman said:
Yes, I have that game too. Its been on many a top 10 worst games ever list. Anyway I liked Defenders, Asteroids, and Q-Bert.
Majin_You said:
Oh my God, yes! I got that game in the box my buddy handed over to me - I am just as confused about the purpose as you are/were - I remember running into a figure in a trench coat from time to time, then falling into the occasional pit, hovering out, and continuing - I think I may have the manual for it, but I'm doubtful of that....should it turn up, I'll try to decipher the riddle that is the purpose of the game.
As fas as I can remember the trench coat men are with the FBI and are trying to capture you. Again if I remember right, you need to find all the pieces of your ship and "phone home", winning the game.

KyoKusanagi

K
Double Dragon anyone? Possibly the most popular side scrolling beat em up of all time?

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
omg, Atari Classics.

I dont know whats it called again but its somewhat with Moon

Moon Raider, Moon Rover or Moon...somewhat like that.
you are a prupel Moonrover and have to jump over holes and shoot things, everything on the moon.

Best answers
KyoKusanagi said:
Double Dragon anyone? Possibly the most popular side scrolling beat em up of all time?
River City Ransom > Double Dragon. Simple fact of life.

Unfortunately, I never had any consoles whatsoever. I grew up with PC. Commander Keen, King's Quest, Out of this World... that's my kind of nostalgia.

Best answers
Holy crap atari...i haven't played that in so long. I started playing video games on it at about age 4, and have been a gamer ever since. I liked a game called Barnstormer i think...you played a small plane and had to fly without hitting anything in your way.

Best answers
Kangaroo ...
Amayirot Akago said:
King's Quest
That series was the ****. I also remember some old game that came on a 5 1/4 floppy for the old IBM's, you know the green ones. It had something to do with entering a castle and collecting things and trying not to get thrown out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom