The origins of Trunks' sword.

King of the Hello Kitty Fanclub
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I was getting to thinking the other day, where did future Trunks get his sword from? At first I thought well obviously from Tapion (movie 13) but then I thought no it couldn't be since in Future Trunks' timeline there was no Tapion. But after watching movie 13 again, Tapion's sword is in actual fact the same as Future Trunks' (The scabbard and blade are identical.) I was just wondering how he got the sword. Or if anybody has any other theories on where it came from.

Best answers
i think that you're right about that... well that's what i've heard...
and you have to note that the movies aren't part of the story line..

Best answers
would be impossible to make movies out of a series to fit perfectly so i guess they just put it in hopeing noone would find out about it :p

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
well Trunks was alot younger when Tapion gave him the Sword. And Trunks was already past that age when he got it in the future. It's just one of those things people get as time passes. Its really nothing special exept the fact its just a strong sword. I dont even know about his sword really. But remember, Movies are like "alternate universes". When in the seies did they talk about Cooler or Lord Slug, or even Brolly. The sword basicly has 2 Stories, Movie and series. In the Series its no big deal, just strongest sword made.

The Viking
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
King cold actually talked about his "sons", not son. They are mentioned, but you should see the movies as a different series apart from dbz.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yeah and they often mention the 'legendary' super saiyan. Just not his name. Still doesn't explain the sword though.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Few things.

coctre said:
King cold actually talked about his "sons", not son. They are mentioned, but you should see the movies as a different series apart from dbz.
He exists, but was never encountered, Goku never talk about how Cooler was on Earth about to destroy it. Nor was he in Hell.

Rocky87 said:
Yeah and they often mention the 'legendary' super saiyan. Just not his name. Still doesn't explain the sword though.
That 'Legendary' Super saiyan want Brolly they were talking about. They were talking about a Saiyan 1,000 years ago that ahceived super saiyan but only in ape form and couldnt control his power, therefore, his own power killed him.\

And like i said, The sword has no Story behind it in the series, only in the movie.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well considering the differences in the two universes, Tapion gave Trunks the sword in the 'Present' Timeline, he could have done it in a different way in the 'Future' Timeline, it is largely unknown what happened before the Androids in the 'Future' universe. Although it's easy to assume it was the same until the androids appeared, there are differences in them before then, this is one of them.

In the 'Present' timeline Tapion gave Trunks the sword after the whole Buu thing, between 273 and 274 (dubbed) and he uses it in GT.

[FICTIONAL EXAMPLE]: In the 'Future' timeline, Hoi appeared after the Garlic Junior Saga. Tapion is freed and so is Hildegarne, Goku isn't around but fortunatley the Hildegarne in this universe is much weaker. It is killed by little Trunks (no fusion) and Tapion gives him the sword as a token of appreciation. Then the androids appear, Trunks fights them as best as he can but loses, comes back home, goes to the Present Universe, and the Trunks Saga begins.

No doubt one of you will find a hole in there but it could've happened like that.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Watch the History of Trunks it is the ONLY movie that goes with the series, and is apart of the series story line. at first Future Trunks was never a big fighter to begin with, he only trained with gohan for a few days, then gohan dies from andriods, then (i guess) trained himself for some time.doesnt say anything happend but some time past, cant remember how long, gotta watch again, but when he went to fight androids again before goin back in time, he suddenly had the sword. Trunks couldnt have been strong enough.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Not true, History Of Trunks is a TV Special, so is Bardock: Father of Goku, both are in the current timeline and effect the series greatly.

Although the movies don't effect the series, the series effects the movies. Buu is mentioned in Movie 13, Frieza is mentioned (and shown) in Movie 05 and the Androids are mentioned in Movie 07 to name a few instances.

Trunks couldnt have been strong enough.
For what?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yes, but it explains what happened in his time, in the series he talks to the andriods about it in "Free the future" Trunks clearly stated somethign along the lines of "Did you show mercy when you killed my master, gohan in the rain?" this syncs with the series and is mentioned in the series.

Ravendust said:
For what?
this
Ravendust said:
It is killed by little Trunks (no fusion)

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Did you read my post? I said that it DOES sync with the series.

By me:
History Of Trunks is a TV Special, so is Bardock: Father of Goku, both are in the current timeline and effect the series greatly
As for Trunks being strong enough to take on my FICTIONAL Future Hildegarne...

Also by me:
the Hildegarne in this universe is much weaker

Retired Forum Staff
Best answers
Personally I think the entire thing is sybolic - little Trunks getting the sword links him with Mirai Trunks. Maybe Mr Toriyama wanted to give the little guy some credit, showing that he really could have grown up to be just as much of a hero.. then GT happened and through that out of the window :p

I'd also like to point out that Movie 13 could be just as much a part of the timeline as the Bardock or Trunks movies - it takes place after the end of DBZ so it could have happened.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
ok, wasnt paying attention to post Ravendust.

But as you said thats Fictinal, its still not what happened. IT may have happened different ways, but in the end the sword just doesn't have a story behind it in the series. i understand where your coming from giving 'scenarios' on whats posible, but still isnt apart of it. Thats just fan fic.

Sound Artist
Best answers
Dragonball Z is filled with plotholes. On another note, don't quote the american dub as true, normally when they have flashbacks or something, in the original language they don't even speak. In the american dub, they make up some story. Sorta like the legendary super saiyan. It doesn't say anything about being in the ape form, it's just never happened before, it's a tall tale. That's why Vegeta thought Goku was the legendary super saiyan, because it looked like he'd be able to do it, to be the first real saiyan to become Super Saiyan.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Going off topic now...

Anyway, Future Trunks actually has two swords, The one he fought against the androids with (that got a chunk taken out of), this one is smashed by Super Android 19, Trunks hits him with it and the blade shatters, (note how he doesn't use a sword against Cell),

then in Movie 8 he doesn't have one, then in Movie 9, Vegeta gets him a new one. Neither of them are Tapions.

Best answers
okay i know the topic is a little old but i want to shed some light.

The alternate trunks' sword is not from tapion. If you read the manga you would read that the sword is actually yajirobi's. The sword in the anime looks nothing like it but in the manga is does. When the androids came to earth (Or well activated) they destroyed each fighter one by one. Yajirobi was one of them and as he died, his sword spun in the air and landed into the ground. Trunks witnessed his death, grabbed his sword and ran away.

just thought id give you a bit of info from a manga point of view

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ahhh well thats pretty cool I had no idea about that. I suppose that answers my question.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I know the basis of this thread was to find the origins of the sword but now that it's been done i'm even more intrigued...

Talk about different...which sword was it in the manga? Did Yajirobe carry a longsword/broadsword or a samurai sword, or did Trunks pick up a samurai sword (what we all see in the anime to be Yajirobes sword). I can't imagine Trunks with a samurai sword...Ninja Trunks!

I wonder why they made such a big change in the anime...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom