Nintendo DS or PSP?

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
which one will u buy >.< seriously...i dont know which one to chose, 2 is too expensive, but they both seem so good =o

brainfeeder
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Neither, If I want a mini-gamecube or a mini-ps2 I'd probably be somewhere around 10 years old.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Probably neither as well. :p
I might get a DS later on, after their initial release when they're cheaper, just so I play all my old GB games again.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm not planning on it either. I don't like the marketing of these things at all; never have.

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I don't really like hand-helds, but if I had to choose--probably the PSP.

Best answers
PSP if I had to choose, but im probably not gonna get either one. I imagine I wont play it when Im home, since I actually own a PS2, and I dont see myself on the road that much... and when I am, theres always a cd player.

Retired Forum Staff
Best answers
If I had to choose between the two? I'd go with the DS but thats mostly because I like the sound of the games coming out for it. Haven't really looked into the PSP.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ya, i'm not much of a handheld gamer either, but if I had to choose, I'd go with the DS. It's more innovative, and the quirky games that use the DS's unique features are quite appealing to me. But the PSP looks a million times cooler.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
im picking up a ds first and then a psp later

just gotta have viewtiful joe on the ds

Pan

Best answers
This is bad, very bad. Nintendo can no longer afford to lay back on a situation such as this one. A good idea would be to drop the price for the DS down even lower (Example:$100) and include a copy of ~ super mario 64 DS ~ along with it in one package, but that's just my oppion i guess, but i never was good coming up with great marketing skills. Either way im picking up both, but i really much prefer the DS over The PSP.

Best answers
I agree with Pan. There is simply no way the DS can compete with a DVD player, rechargeable battery, backlit screen and insane practicly PS2 graphics, not even mentioning the LAN capabilities.
Unless Nintendo pulls something fast, they will lose the only battle they haven't lost yet - the battle of the portables.

whereswarren (King_Vegeta)
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Dude you need some learning... ds has backlit screens, rechargable bats, 16 player wireless multi, the ability to go online and graphics somwhere in middle of 64 and gamecube, the features you mentioned are nothing and have already been accomplished by the sp exept for the dvd and the graphics (to be expected).

And they arnt even in direct competiton (even though ppl dont like to belive it), the ds is a new, innovative and original, can you say that "original" idea and cant stand up to the psp in terms of graphics, but thats not what its about, you get a nintendo product for the francise games that come along with it not the multmedia devices and fancy graphics.

Nintendo > all

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
PSP is a portable dvd player (in a way) has ps2 graphics, and is as big as a gba..its cost 185 bucks

Ds is twice as big, has 2 screens and has touchscreen (or whatever its called) and has nintendo 64 graphics....and costs....140 bucks or sumthing =\ well i guess ill go with the psp anyway, i wanna see final fantasy: advent childeren =P

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The PSP is far from a handheld DVD . . . it has GCN disease. A tiny little disk. Smaller space means more compression = less quality. You're living in a fantasy land if you think that "DVD" player is going to equal the real deal. Further the DS's rechargeable battery lasts twice as long as the PSP . . . . good job on your details there Tassadar! :p

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
well...it will probly have some decent quality, since i know, more compressed means lower quality, but smaller screens most of the means...higher quality

try searching for rpgmaker icons, stretch them to 1000 X 1000 pixels...and its ugly, make it smaller and it looks far higher quality...tho...making it to small is bad quality =\

Best answers
Dude you need some learning... ds has backlit screens, rechargable bats, 16 player wireless multi, the ability to go online and graphics somwhere in middle of 64 and gamecube, the features you mentioned are nothing and have already been accomplished by the sp exept for the dvd and the graphics (to be expected).
Oh Christ, heaven forbid I forget about the 2d touchscreen, that definatly makes the differance. Of course it has nothing to do with the fact that PSP will have superior developers such as Konami, Capcom, Square, and all the others from Sony's long list of decent developers. But damn, that touch screen really just whipes them off the board doesn't it?
God, there is nothing more that I want than to be able to play all my old favorite Nintendo 64 games... again. And on a brand new little mini 64! ALRIGHT!

[/sarcasm]

Hmm... how many years did it take for Nintendo to get that nice backlit screen? Anyone, anyone? Something like... 10 years? It took them the original Gameboy, Gameboy Pocket, Gameboy Color, Gameboy Advance, and finally Gameboy Advance SP. "Oh but Tassadar they didn't have the technology back then..." yeah that's not what Sega said when they made the Game Gear. Point is, is that Nintendo has been milking their fan base ever since Sony came around. People will eventually get tired of these remakes. Sure Mario every once in a while is ok. Until you make a game called Paper Mario or Mario Golf. What's next? Mario Survivor? How about Mario Goes Shopping?

Cuc said:
The PSP is far from a handheld DVD . . . it has GCN disease. A tiny little disk. Smaller space means more compression = less quality. You're living in a fantasy land if you think that "DVD" player is going to equal the real deal.
That may be true, but take into consideration that the smaller screen will balence the quality difference a lot more than you would think. Converting a movie to a smaller size, especially down to something as small as a PSP screen, can save hundreds of megabytes, but I'm sure your well aware of that.

Retired Forum Staff
Best answers
Tassadar said:
Oh Christ, heaven forbid I forget about the 2d touchscreen, that definatly makes the differance.
Um, KV never mentioned the touch-screen Tassadar. He merely pointed out that you implied that the DS didn't have the features you attributed to the PSP, which it does. If you're going to quote someone you should at least read what they say before hand. o_O

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
maybe he ment my post? since i did mention the touchscreen, maybe he just quoted the wrong post

anyway...i was wondering, how long can u play with the psp and ds before the batterys are empty?

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Tassadar said:
That may be true, but take into consideration that the smaller screen will balence the quality difference a lot more than you would think. Converting a movie to a smaller size, especially down to something as small as a PSP screen, can save hundreds of megabytes, but I'm sure your well aware of that.
Smaller screen != higher quality.

Sure it will look just fine, but it won't be DVD.

Reports place the PSP battery at around 6 hours to 7 hours maximum. The DS is "comparable to the SP" which means about 10 to 12 hours depending on how many of the features you use. The SP had 14 hours, 12 if you used the backlit feature.

As a final word of warning, do not turn this thread into a flame pile because you neglected to check your facts, or you feel that your facts are plain better. This is a disscussion about which you'll buy and why, not what everyone else should buy and why the big N should just give up the ghost.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom