Toonami..

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well, since I can't afford to buy animation dvd's every week, I have to watch boring Toonami. I watch the GT version... Gundam seed.... is it me, or do I NOT see alot of blood or any bad launguage on those shows? I'd watch Tri-gun, but I get too tired and stuff. So, why ISN'T there bloody gore on one of the good animations? Buy the dvd, and it shows every single blood, word and crap. Also, WHATS WRONG WITH THE FRIGGIN COMMERCIALS?!?!?!?

King of the Hello Kitty Fanclub
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm quite sure when anime is dubbed in english it undergoes severe censorship. Even the original DBZ is more violent.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
the origional dbz is a lot more violent..

whats also funny is that when toonami uk decided to get dbz over here they RE DUBBED IT FROM THE AMERICAN VERSION....wtf?!

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I owe 90% of my DB/Z/GT knowledge from Toonami, The DVD's are uncut which means they're near identical to the Japanese version but with dubbing. Toonami is massivley cut and edited, and then redubbed in places to make the cuts make sense. Toonami eliminate most blood from their programs because of the time it's on, viewable to ages 3+.

Best answers
you gotta cartoon network is for younger kids, if they saw blood dripping out of someone skull and someone drinking it it would affetc them, i'm not dbz is like that, it they have to cut it down so Parents of the younger kids wont kick up a stink about it

Best answers
Almighty_gir said:
the origional dbz is a lot more violent..

whats also funny is that when toonami uk decided to get dbz over here they RE DUBBED IT FROM THE AMERICAN VERSION....wtf?!
did they all have pommy accents?

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
SPIDER-BITE said:
did they all have pommy accents?
no, canadian/american (redub done in canada)

Toonami **** everything up, so what do u expect? they're a money making channel out to get young kids hooked on anime, then show em all the wonderful toys they can buy, etc etc, do you think they really care about anime fans?

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I guess I should sleep earlier, to watch Adult Swim. =D

Best answers
Mabye the taked obout Funimation channel will happen and then mabye they will bring it to the UK and mabye it will do things right. Though thats alot of mabyes.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I think what Thamuz is talking about (with the blood) is when Frieza (form 2) stabs Krillin with his horn, in the edited version it just shows him wincing, in the uncut it shows blood running out of the armour and down Frieza's face, he also lets it drip onto his tongue and drinks some with a crazed look on his face. In Japan that's fine for kids over 3, it's not like they have many taboos, in the west we're overprotected from this sort of stuff when it's on TV. Buy the uncut DVD's and see more great moments like this. I hope the FUNimation channel happens, they don't do as bad a job as everyone says, if it wasn't for them then most of us wouldn't know about DBZ, or they'd leave it uncut and play it at 23:00 when 90% of people wouldn't be watching. They kept in a lot of violence which is fair enough considering it was supposed to be for kids.

Best answers
Ravendust said:
I think what Thamuz is talking about (with the blood) is when Frieza (form 2) stabs Krillin with his horn, in the edited version it just shows him wincing, in the uncut it shows blood running out of the armour and down Frieza's face, he also lets it drip onto his tongue and drinks some with a crazed look on his face.
I very much would like to see that :p. Are the uncut DVDs dubbed in English as well, or are the uncut scenes all japanese?

whereswarren (King_Vegeta)
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
One thing i noticed as well in the edited version, the only person to say somthing slightly offensive was dende with "piss off" on namek when they are making the wish to bring back piccolo, he was the only one to "swear" and hes dende...

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
http://www.funfamilystore.com/Search.bok?category=DragonballZ:DVD:Frieza+Saga

They're as uncut as the original jap eps, but Pioneer (who dubbed the Saiyan and Namek Sagas before FUNimation took over) removed a lot of footage, about 15 episodes worth. Although the uncut versions of these episodes contain more footage, it does not include ALL the original material. Not 15 episodes worth. FUNimation announced that they're going to redo those Saga's to get the full episode count (291 not 272) back. This will not be happening any time soon, in fact it'll probably happen after they've done all the movies and the GT TV special. Ages away.

EDIT: The Uncut FUNimation DVD's also include the choice of Japanese voices with option of English subtitles, so even 'hardcore' fans can watch the Japanese Uncut in DVD quality thanks to FUNimation and can't complain.

Where's Warren (<-king-vegeta->) reminded me of a funny difference between the Edit and the Uncut, when Goku returns to Earth in the World Tournament Saga, he asks Krillin how he is, Krillin says in the edit that he's "A little P.O'd", in the uncut he explains that he's "A bit pissed off" as Goku never calls him :D

Best answers
Wow thanks raven for all the details, I will be buying the DVDs some time early next year, but havent looked too deeply into it yet (I need the dosh first before I can start spending it ;)). Pioneer eh? Is that why the voice casting in those two sagas differed in some characters to later Funimation ones? Its good that they are doing/have done the uncuts as dubbed, for some reason the Japanese originals seem to have really poor voice casting. I cant stand Kakarot's Japanese voice, and Vegeta sounds timid as a mouse, and the music in the Japanese versions arent too crash hot either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom