Final Fantasy XI

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ok i have the game, got it about 3 hours ago, since then im still downloading "updates and files" still have another 30 mins to go. And im still not sure if i have to download something else after this one. for $30 i got this and the bonus Expansion.

Does anyone think its worth it?preferably somone who played this game?

Best answers
**** no. Game is insanely repetitive. It'll be fun for the first week. All you do is kill bunnies and fish. Not to mention I can't seem to get my account back, I think they're actually expecting me to buy the game again. Takes around 4 hours to install (yeah I wish I was exaggerating).

Did you get Chains of Promathia? I heard you actually have to have that in order to play now. Total rape.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
not sure if i have Chains of Promathia, I guess ill find out in maybe 2 hours... I like games like this, i dunno, ill have to see if the way i saw it is how it is. is Chains of Promathia the first one?

The expansion i got with it is Rise of the Zilart.

Best answers
Yeah, it is a very repadative game since after you kill bunnies you go to orcs then stronger bunnies onto stronger orcs then occasionally a new monster then its duplicated again...But apart from that I guess it’s alright, just gotta make sure you find a good party.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
well for as long as i have been waiting, and the huge thunder storm outside.... IF my power goes put im getting on my roof and holding up a spoon!

Best answers
the game is very good, it is repetive if you solo, group with crappy people, or don't do quests. Groups are made very fun because of the interaction, the skill chains really make a difference between how boring or fun the game is, groups that don't skill chain are very boring. There are alos a lot of very involved quests, with lots of travelling and cool objectives.

i was a level 50 red mage, and if it hadn't been for the limit break quests i'd probobly still be playing the game now.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Its terrible. So slow. You were better off holding out till tuesday and getting World of Warcraft.

Best answers
You know I am rather surprised that you are blaming an RPG for being repetitive, some of the most repetitive games, and best for that matter are RPG's. The truth is that if you expect to learn the most powerfull acts in the game just through advancement of the story line then you should be playing a game like zelda, any game that requires leveling to excel at is going to be repeditive, thats what the story line is for to break up the monotony of the game. That is the only full proofed way to make an MMORPG fair is to put in a leveling system, as well as the only way to make it so diverse in your character development.

Quit whining about what makes a game work. If you want to excel at an MMORPG you are going to log a considerable amount of time leveling up, its a givin'. Quit trying to change an already great genre with your " i dont want to spend a couple dozen hours leveling, i want my spells now!" Anything worth having is worth waiting and more importantly working for.

Best answers
I am a hardcore FFXI player, I imported my version from America about a year ago. Its very time consuming, it took me around 7-8 monthes of almost constant everyday play to get my WHM to lvl 75. I didnt find it repetative at all, partying is always an original experience... good or bad. People are generally friendly and there is ALWAYS something for you to do, weather it be synthing, lvling, balista, mining, farming etc. The game really opens up after lvl 30 giving way to some nice story line.

Best answers
Hated FFXI, one of the worst MMO's ive ever played.

The controls are horrible, the game is boring, half the people speak another language, not even that much people play it on most of the servers, you have to pay to have another character, the whole creating a account and the system to log in is crap. When you reach a level to change a class to like black mage or something you have to start at level one again, the game it self is pretty ugly and all the monsters are pretty the same just different names like everquest (example: Bunny, Bigger Bunny, Bigger Angry Bunny, Bigger Big Bunny, Bigger Evil Bunny, Boss Bunny, Bigger Boss Bunny, Bigger Angry Boss Bunny, ect.). The hud is ugly and annoying to use, and did I mention the controls suck? I did? oh well they deserve to be mentioned again.

The only good thing about this game that I saw was its name, but the whole game ruined it for me.

IMO dont go by what on anyone says, just try it and then cancel if you dont like it.

CrackerJack said:
Its terrible. So slow. You were better off holding out till tuesday and getting World of Warcraft.
Yeah I would do that if I were you.

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
FFXI, most importantly, suffers from lack of variety. With no real customizable equipment, and equipment that only changes in color ("palette swaps"), everybody ends up looking the same. There's no choices "Hm.. this is good, but so is this," there's just "This is the best," and it ends up in everyone looking the same.

What else makes everybody the same? The illusion that your secondary profession gives you a choice. It doesn't.

Do you want to be a Warrior who can cast spells? Sure! Be a Warrior/Mage. Will you be an effective fighter? No. Will you be invited to groups? No.

FFXI is a "cookie cutter" game meaning everybody is exactly the same as everybody else, because there are no alternatives for anything. Just one way to do things, with very few exceptions.

That, and the fact that half the monsters in the game aren't unique to themselves.

You'll go from fighting..

Sick Bunny
Crappy Bunny
Lame Bunny
Bunny
Strong Bunny
Super Bunny
Chou Omega FINAL Bunny
Ruiner of Worlds Bunny

And they'll all look exactly the same, except colored differently. That, combined with the fact that when it came out in the US, it had already been out in Japan for over a year, further isolating the Japanese population (who are largely rude to the International players) from the rest of the game.

FFXI has semi-interesting quests, below-average graphics, and is much, much too focused on forcing people to group. Another "failure" MMORPG.

The contested regions of the game are a joke--pretty much the only thing that comes from "conquering" a disputed territory is a small, insignificant NPC Vendor appearing in the city who owns it. FFXI has any number of problems, but my biggest problems with it were the problems with Alt-Tabbing, the TERRIBLE controls, and the INSANE file updates. Checking every SINGLE file, out of THOUSANDS, for a 2MB update? Yeah. That's efficient. The "PlayOnline" system is total garbage. The game wouldn't be so terrible (albeit it is still not worth playing) if it didn't have the PO system.

Best answers
Admitedly I hate POL, BUT it has stopped FFXI emu servers being produced (good or bad thing I dunno). Hehe well I honestly enjoyed FFXI alot more than other MMORPGS (Lineage, Rangarok, Priston Tale, Tales Weaver etc.)

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Lineage, Ragnarok, Pristontale.. all Korean games. Try World of Warcraft. It came out today.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I actually like FFXI, gues you can say its my kinda game. only thing i do see is bad is that for a long time u cant wonder very far at all from the first town, due to the fact the the monsters difficulty gets stupidly stronger for the first and 2nd areas.

Best answers
FFXI, most importantly, suffers from lack of variety. With no real customizable equipment, and equipment that only changes in color ("palette swaps"), everybody ends up looking the same. There's no choices "Hm.. this is good, but so is this," there's just "This is the best," and it ends up in everyone looking the same.

What else makes everybody the same? The illusion that your secondary profession gives you a choice. It doesn't.

Do you want to be a Warrior who can cast spells? Sure! Be a Warrior/Mage. Will you be an effective fighter? No. Will you be invited to groups? No.

FFXI is a "cookie cutter" game meaning everybody is exactly the same as everybody else, because there are no alternatives for anything. Just one way to do things, with very few exceptions.
really, i was a red mage/ninja, and i never had problems getting groups even before refresh(i couldn't keep groups away after refresh), i looked different than everyone i had ever seen, i had armored pants, i duelwielded a golden and a silver rapier i had mage upper body stuff and heavy guantlets. Its not nearly as cookie cutter as people make you believe, the reason you won't get an invite as a warrior/mage is more because warriors are useless.

also the japanese people i met formed a linkshell that gave out lots of advice and helped us american players with quests, other then that the japanese people i met were all pretty silent, or talked in japanese(but they weren't making fun of us americans MOST of the time, i understand some japanese)

The contested regions of the game are a joke--pretty much the only thing that comes from "conquering" a disputed territory is a small, insignificant NPC Vendor appearing in the city who owns it.
some of the gear you could get from those vendors was REALLY good if you had saved up your points(unlike me BAH)

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I enjoy FFXI very much. I still play it since it was released on the PC last year.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Logan289 said:
I enjoy FFXI very much. I still play it since it was released on the PC last year.
really? whats your name? mines RavenTrunks on it.

Best answers
I think FFXI is a game for only certain types of people. It does consume alot of time (Especially if you are a DD) and it can get repetitive becuase you do fight some of the same enemies over and over. The game has lots of up sides too tho. It has some of the nicest looking towns and and armor and the ability to change jobs and try something new is always a plus, giving you the freedom and flexibility that you need. This game is the reason why I go off and on with ESF. Since when the game first game out I have achieved 2 lvl 75 Jobs (DRK, PLD) and every other job is at least lvl 37 or higher. If you on Carbuncle say Hi to "Knightmare" =D.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
RavenTrunks said:
really? whats your name? mines RavenTrunks on it.
Stats

Name: Logandraconia (Pronounced Logan Draconia)

Server: Ragnarok

Race: Hume

Height: Tall

Face:

Main Job: Dark Knight

Secondary Job(s): Thief and Warrior

Weapon of choice: Longsword.

Secondary Weapon: Scythe

Current Level: 46/23

Linkshell: Seeking

Current status: Returning to FFXI after a 3-4 month break.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom