Running ESF through HL-source

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
I know this might get flamed with ESF wont be on HL2 as you have told us millions of times, but I have heard, but not tested that there is a way of running ESF on the HL2 engine. When you get HL2 there is also the HL - source and so in that sence you can run ESF through the HL - source engine.
Just as the HL2 engine converted Counter strike to the HL2 engine, is it also possible to run the HL-source and then load ESF through it??
Has anyone tried this?? Does it work?

Fumoffu!
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Smeg said:
I know this might get flamed with ESF wont be on HL2 as you have told us millions of times, but I have heard, but not tested that there is a way of running ESF on the HL2 engine. When you get HL2 there is also the HL - source and so in that sence you can run ESF through the HL - source engine.
Just as the HL2 engine converted Counter strike to the HL2 engine, is it also possible to run the HL-source and then load ESF through it??
Has anyone tried this?? Does it work?

ESF is a modification for Half-Life. Which means that the source code for ESF has been programmed on the HL SDK, which runs on the HL Engine. So flat out, no you cannot run ESF on another engine, the dlls are designed for Half-Life.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
i heard that it was easy enough to convert the oridginal half life mods to the source engine, as valve has proved with their hl source

Fumoffu!
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
HaLLiS said:
i heard that it was easy enough to convert the oridginal half life mods to the source engine, as valve has proved with their hl source
Yes, porting some stuff is relatively easy. But you have to consider how much of the code will have to be rewritten because it's not as 'efficient' with the new SDK, and also the number of new sprites/maps that a port would require. And the team has no immediate plans to port over to the HL2/source engine, if it did - don't you think that information would have been made public already?

Now my hippo friend is asking me to point to a sticky, sorry. :(
http://forum.esforces.com/showthread.php?t=27132

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom