Half-life 2 Flaws video

Best answers
I notice for the hitboxes they only show it with crossbow, and for the AI that could easily be a bug. Of coure it could just as easily be crappy AI and design flaws on valve's part

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
they showed it with the crossbow because you can easily see where the bolt is going, you can follow its trail... the same thing happens with the other weapons.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well, maybe the hitboxes aren't perfect, but meh.

And the thing he did with that bottle, so the combine didn't shoot at him, that's just weird. I tried that same trick a couple of times, but they sure as hell shoot at me, blowing the stuff I'm holding out of the way.
I didn't notice any flaws in the AI at all while playing. I still say the AI deserves an A+, I don't care what they say about it.

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
There are going to be holes in every AI system, nobody can be perfect, and you shouldn't judge the whole system just because you found a workaround. Aside from that, I'm sure mods could fix the hitboxes if they wanted to, so it doesn't really affect my position on the game. I never noticed an issue while I was playing and so I don't care about it in terms of first player either.

The same kind of video could be made to show the flaws in any game, and I think HL2 has less flaws than most, so it still wins first prize in my book.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Why does this always have to happen, a crappy game is made and everyone points out what's good with it, a great game is made and people only look for the bad parts. The better a game is, the harder people are going to look for flaws. Anyway, i'm sure Valve will happily patch some of the stuff in this video and get the last laugh.

The Sinister Minister
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I was actually surprised at the demonstration of holes in the AI. At the part where it shows one of the enemies shooting over top the storage container despite the fact that the player has moved beside him was really odd. In all the time I've spent playing HL2 thus far, I've never seen the AI behave that way. Perhaps some of the bugs that are being displayed in that video aren't common in every copy, or are rarer occurences in game.

Best answers
Yeah, i certainly know i've gone at Combine before, using barrels, or trash cans as shields, let alone a medicine bottle, and i got shot several times. I've never seen the AI act quite like that, it always seemed much more intelligent.

The hitboxes are a bit annoying and yes that's a flaw, it might be because the hitboxes are rectangular, and since the models are in a semi crouched position, the hitbox extends over that shoulder. They repeatedly showed these same two flaws, which only goes to prove that there really wasn't anything else wrong with it.

The only one which i find more of a problem was the door blocking one....he piled a lot of **** on that door, a soldier shouldn't have been able to push it open. but, all games do have flaws, and this is one of HL2's.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
i think they were trying to prove how insane fanboys are... the way they go "ZOMGODZORZZZ its the best thing since....since.....HL1 :O:O:O!!!!!111!!!1one!!1Shift!11!!! nothing beats it it pwns, and i wont listen to your arguments, you suck purely cos ur oppinion is different >_<"

when actually, no matter what game it is....its just a game >_>
ive said that about every game...yeh some are better than others...but they are just games.... fanboys are just like those dorks that triumph takes the piss out of in that video haaha

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Maybe it's cause we got the retail version, and the broze version uses the preload you got 2 months ago. Not sure though, the AI never seemed that stupid to me, I thought it was actually too smart.

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Do you guys have any idea how long it'll take them to create AI that is just like real people? It may never happen in our lifetimes. All AI is going to have flaws, especially in $50 games with zombies and aliens. The AI is better than just about anything out so far, but that doesn't mean it's perfect at all, it just means it's great for its time, and it is.

owa

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Almighty_gir said:
when actually, no matter what game it is....its just a game >_>
ive said that about every game...yeh some are better than others...but they are just games.... fanboys are just like those dorks that triumph takes the piss out of in that video haaha
Yeah, that must be it! 'Cuz so many people are claiming that HL2 isn't a game, and is infact real! ;/

The video shows VERY rare glitches. Very few people can reinact them, and by most accounts the proplems shown happen to very few people. EVERY game has its glitch. The fact you think they made this to bother fanboys is retarded, why? Because you'd have to be a real piece of **** to want to waste your time trying to make fanboys look bad. If they did it for that reason, then I hope they get a life, because making a video of rare glitches to bother people is, dare I say, a terrible waste of time.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Anti-fanboy fanboys... hop on the bandwagon :p

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
That's what happens when you set release dates. You have to cut corners to make them. :p

Best answers
Why is it that you people enjoy tearing apart what has already been deemed a great game and highly revolutionary engine. I mean come on every time a new game or movie comes out its like everyone here sits around in a little circle and finds out every miniscule problem with the item at hand. You are singlehandedly wrecking what is propably one of the best FPS's of our time.

How about instead of sitting around and whining about AI glitches why dont you try and make something that is worthy of John Carmack to crap on, because i know you cant! Instead of trying to bring all of these highly superior games down why dont you rise to the occasion and make one thats better. Once you do that you can say whatever the hell you want.

owa

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Those AI faults seem a bit suspicious, they are still shooting when he has the medicine thing, but the bullets aren't hitting him, when he uses the garbage can, I'm confused, what is he trying to show? They shoot him well he has the garbage can, but when he sets it up, they can't hit him anymore, but he can hit their heads barely. So what?

The only thing I found really idiotic is the door blocking, that was a flaw, but nothing big, I still feel this game is the best FPS out.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
owa said:
Those AI faults seem a bit suspicious, they are still shooting when he has the medicine thing, but the bullets aren't hitting him, when he uses the garbage can, I'm confused, what is he trying to show? They shoot him well he has the garbage can, but when he sets it up, they can't hit him anymore, but he can hit their heads barely. So what?

The only thing I found really idiotic is the door blocking, that was a flaw, but nothing big, I still feel this game is the best FPS out.
The medicine bottle, he held it up and it blocked them from view, and they did not fire at him.

The garbage can, half of the combine's head was exposed and he fired one shot at the head (combine still alive), but the combine did nothing but stand their and try to get a better spot.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
i dont get his point in some of the parts

he shoots a combine and the combine runs behind the corner of the wall and runs back farther as he makes his way around the corner

or when he shoots the combine with the magnum from far off and the other combine runs over to the dead guy and gets shot.. yeah hes checking out what happened to his friend thats REAL dumb ai there

medicine bottle ok yeah a small glitch that can happen usually it doesnt

hitboxes like that are a flaw in 99% of all fps games just go fire up hl and check it out u can fire rounds into the spaces next to people and still hit them no problem its nothing new just something that happens when u just designate a whole area as a hit zone

if thats all the flaws they can come up with im rather impressed at valve if thats all they could find to moan about

Best answers
I'm pretty sure they used hitboxes for compatability, and because no one would really notice if they were playing the game at normal game pace and not ultra-slow "find the smallest flaws possible because the fanboys that praise this game are super geeks, nevermind the fact I've been finding bugs for five hours now".

If they really needed per-polygon hit detection, something tells me it wouldn't be that big of a problem, but come on. In Doom 3 it's practical, because the game takes place in primarily small spaces, there's generally not that many enimies on screen, and the physics system isn't as complex. I mean, will you really notice you can shoot a unit or too of the side of a Combine soldier's shoe when there's seven others shooting at you, as well as a Strider or two?

By the way, if I tell someone "OMJESUS HL2 OWNS", and someone else says "rofl u idiot hl2 sux", I'm not going to really listen to their opinion, primarily because A) I've played the game several times, I'm pretty sure of my opinion, listening to someone else's is not about to change anything, B) I wasn't talking to them, and C) Well, they called me stupid :(

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yeah, its obvious that guy has just a bit too little to do. The hitbox mistake doesn't really make a lick of difference. No one that is trying to enjoy the game would ever notice or care about it. The AI stuff is fishy to me as well, I tried to be clever and outsmart the AI like that and it never worked for me. This guy is just really nitpicking, it's still one of the besat shooters that I've ever played. The only one that I still feel was better was SS2, and I really don't think any game will ever live up to SS2's awesomeness. I agree with Hibiki, this is all they could come up with to bash HL2?? Good job Valve.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom