Half-Life 2 Flaws in general.

owa

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Seeing as they don't like the whole discussing of flaws in the other thread, we'll talk about the games flaws in general.

My personal view is that the game DOES have glitches/proplems, but no more then any other game. The proplems are just magnified due to the large number of people playing it.

Everything runs well to me, and for many others, but for some the game runs not so well. A bit of a downer for some, but what irks me is all the people putting down the game simply because their is an AI glitch that very few people can recreate.

So, I don't know, discuss here what we can't discuss in the Video thread :laff:

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
So far i haven't had any problems with Half-life 2. No AI glitches, no messed up hitboxes, and I am able to barricade doors.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Same here, only thing that bothers me is the long loading times and the frame rate drop I get after it. But it's the only bad thing I've noticed, so I don't care a lot about it :)

brainfeeder
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I haven't played the game, but my philosphy is... that people will look for anything to complain about.

Best answers
no problems here, other then the fact it takes FOREVER to load up, but once its running i'm fine(and load times between levels is fine too).

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Loading problems as everyone else have said, otehr than that, the game is great. People that find AI problems aren't trying to play the game, they're deliberatley looking for problems, which is why most of us don't even know they exist, or care.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Hwoarang said:
I haven't played the game, but my philosphy is... that people will look for anything to complain about.

and there will be others to defend against those complaints...

its just a game. get over it >_>

Best answers
Apart from the texture loading fps drops I had no problem with the game, and that was easily solved by lowering the texture detail to medium. But even though I've had no problems with it, I'm not in denial like a lot of people, I know that a massive amount of people are having problems with the game, and I sympathise with them. I just hope Valve gets there **** together for long enough to release a decent patch that fixes everything that's wrong at the moment.

owa

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Almighty_gir said:
and there will be others to defend against those complaints...

its just a game. get over it >_>
Yeah, but it is stupid when someone makes a video, just to pick apart the game. The barricade part in the video is retarded, I have no proplems barricading. Must have just been an odd glitch, but who really cares, Combine with super human strength are still awsome!

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
if its stupid that someone makes a video picking it appart, isnt it then also stupid that millions of people went loopy over the game claiming its the best thing since they accidentaly spilled worchestershire sauce on their cheese on toast? saying how every little thing is better than anything ever before?

when actually its not.

owa

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Almighty_gir said:
if its stupid that someone makes a video picking it appart, isnt it then also stupid that millions of people went loopy over the game claiming its the best thing since they accidentaly spilled worchestershire sauce on their cheese on toast? saying how every little thing is better than anything ever before?

when actually its not.
I am not going loopy, all the crazy fanboys are. BUT to play the game, and find glitches THAT only occur rarely, then say it is to show people how unperfect the game is, is dumb.

Here is how it is. They spent hours trying to make this video to show it wasn't the best. The fans spent minutes playing to releize it rocked*. Simply because they had to find RARE flaws to show "how bad" the game is, is rather lame. Kind of makes the game look better in a way. If you keep in mind that these flaws are pretty rare when you commonly play, and besides the hit boxes, these glitches are hard to reproduce.

*Obviously the game didn't rock to everyone, but if people didn't try to pull this stuff, then the crazy fanboys wouldn't be going loopy. See my point?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
One problem I noticed is to get and understand the story the first time around, you REALLY need to pay attention. But it's good, because you had to the do same in the first one.

The loading and stuttering go without saying, and have annoyed the hell out of me, but I won't actively complain.

The good FAR outweighs the bad in my case.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Problems in general huh?

DISCLAIMER: I liked this game a lot. So don't tell me that, even if something was a little messed up, "it was still fun", because I know that. I'm just being nit-picky now, but this is a thread about flaws.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, the HL team has always prided itself on being able to explain things. i.e you won't walk into a huge empty cement room and find a mountain of supplies just sitting there, as if the gaming gods themselves decided to give you a gift... instead, you get ammo and health from those wall-terminal things, from crates, from fallen soldiers, etc.

But there are some things that don't make sense. Most obviously, there's the fact that the CITY IS COVERED IN EXPLOSIVE BARRELS. Why? I mean the world's resources are quickly being depleted, why are you storing all of the gas/kerosene/whatever the hell is in those things, in random spots all over the city? Why do you take cover behind or near them in a gunfight? I guess there's just nothing more comforting than having a warm, cuddly, highly flammable barrel full of nitro sitting next to your machine gun outpost... just in case you get thirsty...

Another nonsensical thing: the boxes. Save for supply crates, every box you encounter is empty. Erm...why? Don't hand me a reason like saving frame-rate or something. I'm talking practical, in-game reasons. The answer is there really is none.

Your car has no paneling. I think this was just a poor excuse for the fact that objects clip through the car if you place them on it, and also to explain that fact that you take damage when the car is shot, as opposed to bullets denting/bouncing off the hood or something. Anyway, how about driving an APC through the city :p

Hoppers are retarded. Who invents a land mine that his ENORMOUS, protrudes from the ground, and makes a tell-tale beeping noise -before- it activates? To top that off, the explosion isn't huge, and most combine won't even fall for it during the few oppurtunities you get to use them (they aren't stupid enough.)

Rollermines are retarded. First of all, where the hell do they even come from? Busting through windows and breaking through floorboards out of nowhere, so they can.... deliver a mild electrical shock. Ow. They make an annoying sound (they're like Houndeyes almost) and I can't imagine why they would make them.

If the combine soldiers used their smg-mounted grenade launcher, you would have no chance of survival. It's basically an instant kill, and not the hardest thing in the world to do. But thankfully they don't. Why they don't, I'm not too sure (even HL1 grunts used them.)

Sort of a visual glitch: rebels reload their pulse rifles the same way they reload their smgs (looks like they're slamming a clip into the bottom.) Even though pulse rifles reload themselves automatically with their little mini-mechano arm.

There were no bullsquids, (they repeatedly said there would be), no houndeyes, no ninjas... I don't really have a problem with that, but worst of all, no Gargantua! Gargantua kicked -ass-.

I also hate the way they ended it. >_>

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Arthos said:
One problem I noticed is to get and understand the story the first time around, you REALLY need to pay attention. But it's good, because you had to the do same in the first one.
but what people fail to realize is its suppost to be this way

valve did the absolute best they could to make the player gordon freeman but because of this people expect all the plot to laid out infront of them when it doesnt happen

the plot is all there u just have to go out of ur way to find it because no one sits down with gordon and feels like going over the past 10 years of history

which is the way it would work if the event were to actually take place

people just fail to realize it isnt the normal fps plotline

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well, honestly, if the event were to actually take place, I think Gordon would run up to the first dude on that train and go "WHAT THE HELL? WHERE AM I? WHAT IS GOING ON?!?!?"

Best answers
Hwoarang said:
Exactly. What kind of moron goes and shoots a body from every angle pixel by pixel just to see if the hitboxes are off. Since when does having the hitboxes off a little make the game a pile of wreaking ****. God, not even ten years ago we were shooting cardboard-like models in Doom, now things aren't 'good enough' wa wa waa.

Bottom line is, Half Life 2 is way too great of a game to be crappy just because of a couple mistakes you won't EVER notice unless your ACTIVELY LOOKING FOR THEM.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
but thats the whole thing about hl's story u are gordon freeman and u have no clue whats going on but everyone around u seems to know and they asume u do too

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'd like the story a lot better if the random dialogs and Breen transmissions you hear in the background weren't all stuttering like a retarded five year old.

The FPS counter showed me all the bugs I needed, I didn't need any stupid video to go hunting them down. I get a solid 99fps, unless I move, use a weapon, wiggle the mouse too much, breath, look at a wall too long, and just about everything else you can do in the game. Just walking down a blank hallway, I can see my FPS drop from 99 to 20 and back up in rapid, ugly spikes, depending on the game's mood.

I've currently lowered the game to BELOW the recommended settings it set out of the box, and somehow my framerate is only getting worse. The area I'm in now gets a 40-50 range, with an occasional steady 93.

Just the fact that my framerate count is CONSTANTLY screwing up even in otherwise empty rooms without doing anything is point enough for me.

And also--the "tweak guide" posted in the other thread made the game completely unplayably chopped for me, for the record.

EDIT: Just tried new vid drivers...game seemed like it was a lot better until it gave me my first and so far only blue screen of death on windows XP I've ever had. Valve has the worst programmers on the ****ing planet.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
ok so ur pc is being very weird and having problems that no one else has heard of

maybe u need new drivers

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Hibiki said:
but what people fail to realize is its suppost to be this way

valve did the absolute best they could to make the player gordon freeman but because of this people expect all the plot to laid out infront of them when it doesnt happen

the plot is all there u just have to go out of ur way to find it because no one sits down with gordon and feels like going over the past 10 years of history

which is the way it would work if the event were to actually take place

people just fail to realize it isnt the normal fps plotline
Finally some people that also understand ^_^
People that complain about the storyline just don't get it and should play the game again and pay attention :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom