DBZ Re-dub: Saiyan+Namek Sagas, Movies 1, 2, 3 + more!

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Good news for dub fans, FUNimation are redoing everything done (read: ruined) by Pioneer and The Ocean Group, and are not only redubbing the Saiyan and Namek sagas, but the first three movies too. This will mean the same voice actors will be constant through the entirety of DBZ. On top of that, they're adding all the cut episodes, bringing the total up to 291 episodes, 15 more than the current number, the same number as the original Japanese version.

To top it off, Movies 10, 11 and 12 have been confirmed, with 10 being released in March 2005. I imagine 13 will shortly follow, the last DB/Z/GT thing to be dubbed.

More material + less editing + better voices = woo.

Source: http://www.icv2.com/articles/news/6049.html and the DBGT TV Special's DVD Extras.

brainfeeder
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Sounds like they've been busy at Funimation, I just hope they do the Namek Saga justice this time.

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
what a great way for funimation to make more money

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'll be glad to see the back of all those horrible inconsistencies that Pioneer seemed to breed, like Tien's 'regeneration' and Gohan using KHH's against Vegeta before learning the move.

Best answers
what a great way for funimation to make more money
Yes, while they please existing fans who want an english version more ture to the origional and newer fans like myself who have yet to purchase any DVD's. I dont see the problem. It appears to me the origional raping of DBZ was mainly due to Funimation distributor discating terms to them anyway. I think you are being a tad cynical.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Damn...i liked vegeta's voice from the saiyan saga.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yeah, he actually sounded like a smarmy little gremlin he is.

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Aurek said:
Yes, while they please existing fans who want an english version more ture to the origional and newer fans like myself who have yet to purchase any DVD's. I dont see the problem. It appears to me the origional raping of DBZ was mainly due to Funimation distributor discating terms to them anyway. I think you are being a tad cynical.

funimation = big corperate identity, you know why they're doing this right? if there was no money in it they wouldnt be doing it, i dont care what you think but thats the blatent truth, as they conditioned DBZ and changed the target age audience anyway. There are things funimation added in places that was completely irrelevant, take for instance when super buu had just absorbed vegetto, in the funi version he goes to a cake shop/store cuz he's hungry ;o, in the japanese version he went and destroyed an entire city using eyebeams and other ki attacks, flying through the buildings and such... that wasnt even in the original manga anyway when supper buu absorbed vegetto, super buu didnt even move while goku and vegeta were messing around inside him, and there wasnt any of that crap about exploring his body with the green things jumping at them.... They add those stupid sequences of flashbacks all the time, when u blatently know what happened... I garentee they wont be completely true to the original, i'd still watch the japanese version with subs anyday. On that note, you are better off with the manga.

Sorry but funimation are the worst thing to do with dbz, they ruined the whole anime imo, thats why i prefer the manga.

Sound Artist
Best answers
The Ocean group's work was the best! Far better than Funimation's. The only reason i'd buy this is for the japanese audio:)

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ravendust said:
I'll be glad to see the back of all those horrible inconsistencies that Pioneer seemed to breed, like Tien's 'regeneration' and Gohan using KHH's against Vegeta before learning the move.
He actually did use Kamehameha.

He makes the hand gesture for Masenko, and the beam is yellow, but even in the Japanese version he yells "Kame-hame-ha!"

Toei made the mistake, Pioneer/Ocean just dubbed the mistake as it was in the anime they saw.

If you don't believe me, I can give you an AVI clip of when he uses it against Vegeta, I ripped it awhile ago.

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I might buy this if they don't have these censors.

Best answers
all companies ruin dub's except for the ones that aren't cencored/have the actuall dialog then its ok but japanese version + subs = best!

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
most subtitled japanese stuff we get here arent official, they are subbed by fans, which means its open to interpretation. i watched the anime of berserk, and there were a few inconsistancy's where two different fans subbed different eppisodes....

Retired Forum Staff
Best answers
There were a couple of things in the Saiyan Saga I would have liked to keep - apparantly when Choutzu died in the original version Tien went through a flashback scene were he thought about how he had known Choutzu all his life. It clears up why Tien goes all out and kills himself in revenge; Choutzu has been the only kind of constant he's had throughout his life (instead of the American version which was basically 'Cause he was a dumbass').

Considering that Choutzu and Tien get almost no air time through the remainder of the series this is crucial, especially for fans who never watched Dragonball. It lets you see who Tien was and who Choutzu was - the only true merits DBZ has under all the flashy lights are the layers upon layers of dense relationships the characters share - and as a concequence they cut it out completely.

But I doubt they'll include it this time.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
But I doubt they'll include it this time.
Well I think they will include scenes like that for three reasons:

1.) The new Saiyan and Namek Saga DVD's are called 'Ultimate Uncut Edition'.

2.) FUNimation said they're cutting NOTHING from these, hence the name.

3.) They're including 15 episodes, or 300+ minutes, worth of extra footage unseen by dub fans, no doubt this will be in there as part of that.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
AWESOME!! See, I saw the Buu saga first...people can complain all they want, I think it was pretty good for a dub. The only thing missing of note is Buu taking a crap and I really don't give enough of a damn about that to consider it "ruined."

Plus as I've stated before I really like the Buu saga voices and animation.

Also...for me who has yet to see most of those old eps...this is a real treat!

jp

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
FreeDoM said:
The Ocean group's work was the best! Far better than Funimation's. The only reason i'd buy this is for the japanese audio:)
I second that, ocean dub was way better then, funimation. :)

Best answers
Am I the only one who thinks that Goku sounds like a prepubescent girl in the Japanese voice acting?

I much prefer the voice acting of the American dubs. I don't know whether it's Ocean or Funimation, but I believe it's the latter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom