Drivers for ATI 9600xt/HL2

Best answers
Ok i got it running pretty well, my system is an AMD athlon 2800+, ATI 9600XT, 512 ram ( i suppose those are the important ones lol)
I heard about these Omega drivers that are better than catalyst (they are basically a tweaked version of the catalyst 4.10) and gave them a try. I get 60-80 fps indoors and 40-60 outdoors (and in outdoors when theres a lot of commotion the fps naturally drop), with 1024x768 and everything at high detail, 4x antialiasing and 8x anisotropic filtering.

By now you will probably be asking youself "wtf is the problem"

Most of my other games suffer heavy fps loss (e.g. Freelancer), and my desktop seems to be "sluggier" than before.
The question i have is can i run hl2 at least closely to that preformance with the catalyst 4.12?

if this isnt the right forum (i had a dilemma if this had to go here or at hardware talk) move it ;)

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
turn down the graphics accelleration, games like freelancer chomp up on your gpu, thats probably the only thing i can think of... (my old 9800pro had no trouble with it tho..)

Best answers
I used to have the Catalyst 4.12 and it worked perfectly, i started having the problems when i put the omega drivers (it runs better on my old rig, with gforce4)

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
OK i've got a very similar setup to you, 9800XT 256mb, 512 DDR Ram, AMD Athlon 3000+, with HL2 and Freelancer. I'm using the current catalyst drivers (that you mentioned) as I had some major problems with the Omega's, which I understand are fspecifically made for HL2 for all members of the Radeon family. HL2 ran much better, but UT2k4 suffered from a lot of FPS drop so I switched back.

To answer your question, we're running very similar hardware, I have no problems with the current catalyst drivers for HL2, the Omega's give an additional 10 FPS at the expense of only being able to play HL2 well and nothing else. Try the catalyst and then Roll Back the drivers in the Device Manager and see if you like it better. I prefer the catalyst drivers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom