Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike vs. Garou: Mark of the Wolves

• Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Garou: Mark of the Wolves

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Alright, so which one do you like best? SFIII has more to offer than Garou but just by a little bit... And Garou has a huge similarity to SFIII which you may already know... Im goinna list the diffrences between Garou and SFIII just incase you donno. Although my vote goes out to Garou because of great music, and likes always (SNK) best character design. And the battle system is just opposite of SFIII.

Street Fighter 3 & Mark of the Wolves...

*The Graphics and feel of both games are very similar, but Third Strike has better animation, but not by much compared with Garou, while Garou has better character designs...

*Street Fighter III has Parry... Mark of the Wolves has Just Defense... They are both literally the opposite thing... To perform a Parry you must press Forward when your about to get hit... And you can immediately Counter attack after a Parry... With Just Defense you have to press back when your about to get hit and you get a tiny bit of health for Just Defense... Both Parry and Just Defense can be done continuously.

*SFIII Has 20 Characters (Incluting Gill), Garou has 14 Characters (Incluting Grant and Kain), although you gotta admit, half of the characters in SFIII suck overall, while no character in Garou sucks, and you can argue with me about this too but I will prove my points... The Characters that suck are... Twelve, Hugo, Q, Sean, and Ibuki. I think Yang sucks compared to his brother too, and im better with Yang than I am with Ken after intensive practice. Hugo and Q can be easily Zoned, Sean probably has just one good move (his version of the Shoryuken... All of his Super moves suck... except Shoryu-Cannon if you manage to land it on the enemy right).

*Third Strike has a letter rating system at the end of a match, almost the same to the one in Garou. For example in 3rd Strike there is Rank: A/A+/A++, in Garou there is A/AA/AAA.

*SFIII has a tactical custom combo system where some characters like Yun, Yang and Dudley can combine diffrent punch/kick buttons to perform combo's. Garou doesn't have that... But you can still basic cancel many attacks.

*SFIII Has the EX System, Garou has nothing similar to that but it does however have the T.O.P System which allows for powerful blows (kinda like EX only the command input is entirely diffrent, and it doesn't sacrifice power bar, but instead its used when your health has reached a certain point... there is no motion you just press HP+HK).

*SFIII and Garou both have that low attack evasion command (In Third strike its MP+MK, in Garou its LP+LK.

*This is just personal opinion, but I beleive Garou has better music, and im the type of person that likes any kind of music just so long as it sounds good. In SFIII probably the only themes I like are Hugo, Elena, and Dudley's theme. But I prefer Rock, Grant, Kim Jae Hoon and Kim Dong Hwan's theme over "some" of those any time.

*SFIII has more detailed but blurry backgrounds (now I know it sounds like im complaining but im not), While "some" stages in Garou have as much detail but are still Sharper. There are some stages I prefer more in SFIII though.

Overall, Garou just has Style (Like SNK's King of Fighters, but when compared to KOF... Its battle system is more strategic like that of SFIII's...

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
G-Gear#666 said:
Alright, so which one do you like best? SFIII has more to offer than Garou but just by a little bit... And Garou has a huge similarity to SFIII which you may already know... Im goinna list the diffrences between Garou and SFIII just incase you donno. Although my vote goes out to Garou because of great music, and likes always (SNK) best character design. And the battle system is just opposite of SFIII.
Haven't played Garou, is it for PS2? I'd like to give it a shot.
*Street Fighter III has Parry... Mark of the Wolves has Just Defense... They are both literally the opposite thing... To perform a Parry you must press Forward when your about to get hit... And you can immediately Counter attack after a Parry... With Just Defense you have to press back when your about to get hit and you get a tiny bit of health for Just Defense... Both Parry and Just Defense can be done continuously.
It really is the opposite, which is interesting. Actually in SFvsCapcom you could shoose it, i never noticed that it gave you health back though, interesting.
*SFIII Has 20 Characters (Incluting Gill), Garou has 14 Characters (Incluting Grant and Kain), although you gotta admit, half of the characters in SFIII suck overall, while no character in Garou sucks, and you can argue with me about this too but I will prove my points... The Characters that suck are... Twelve, Hugo, Q, Sean, and Ibuki. I think Yang sucks compared to his brother too, and im better with Yang than I am with Ken after intensive practice. Hugo and Q can be easily Zoned, Sean probably has just one good move (his version of the Shoryuken... All of his Super moves suck... except Shoryu-Cannon if you manage to land it on the enemy right).
I'll partially agree with you there, I obviously like the streetfighter origianls ken, chun-li, akuma, especially ryu). But i started palyign around with the other characters, and I started liking a few of the others. Ibuki is acutally one of my favorite characters now, jsut becuase she is an extremely fast-paced character, and is loads of fun to play with. The english boxer is pretty cool too, i forgot his name. I don't really like anyone else, but this at least proves that with practice all of the characters are potentially good.
*Third Strike has a letter rating system at the end of a match, almost the same to the one in Garou. For example in 3rd Strike there is Rank: A/A+/A++, in Garou there is A/AA/AAA.
Eh, not a big thing in the game anyway.
*SFIII has a tactical custom combo system where some characters like Yun, Yang and Dudley can combine diffrent punch/kick buttons to perform combo's. Garou doesn't have that... But you can still basic cancel many attacks.
only thing here is that you can cancel a lot of basic and special moves in streetfighter as well, so streetfighter is up a point in this category.
*SFIII Has the EX System, Garou has nothing similar to that but it does however have the T.O.P System which allows for powerful blows (kinda like EX only the command input is entirely diffrent, and it doesn't sacrifice power bar, but instead its used when your health has reached a certain point... there is no motion you just press HP+HK).
Yeah, I tried that mode in snk vs capcom, interesting, but i like the streetfighter system more.
*SFIII and Garou both have that low attack evasion command (In Third strike its MP+MK, in Garou its LP+LK.
So weak, yet so incredibly useful :).
*This is just personal opinion, but I beleive Garou has better music, and im the type of person that likes any kind of music just so long as it sounds good. In SFIII probably the only themes I like are Hugo, Elena, and Dudley's theme. But I prefer Rock, Grant, Kim Jae Hoon and Kim Dong Hwan's theme over "some" of those any time.
I hate the music in SF3, so i'm positive that garou wins there.
*SFIII has more detailed but blurry backgrounds (now I know it sounds like im complaining but im not), While "some" stages in Garou have as much detail but are still Sharper. There are some stages I prefer more in SFIII though.[/b]
Yeah, it gets kind of annoyign when you pull off the shin-shoryuken, and it zooms in on the blurry ass level, but i got used to it. It still pisses me off from time to time though, couldn't they just have put a tad bit more effort into the levels? -_-
Overall, Garou just has Style (Like SNK's King of Fighters, but when compared to KOF... Its battle system is more strategic like that of SFIII's...
I'd probably like Streetfighter more, becuase I've always liked them more thatn the KOF games. They're both great games, I've just always prefered it. allthough I'd still love to give this game a shot, any info?

🍂 Regular
Best answers
Garou: Mark of the Wolves is for the NeoGeo but you can also find it at the arcades.

Garou: Mark of the Wolves is tied to King of Fighters, considering, Terry Bogard,the sons of Kim Kap Hwan and the son of Geese Howard are in the game, and Geese is also mentioned in various story lines of the characters.

[EDIT] Garou: Mark of the Wolves is on the Dreamcast aswell and it looks like it's gonna be on the PS2 aswell, due out in Spring 2005

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I love Garou (or i did). Garou for the win!

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Got both for the good ole' dreamcast (Still the king of 2d fighters in my opinion), and while it comes close, I think Garou just edges out 3rd strike.

The one thing that always attached me to snk games is almost every single character is unique and different from the others, and the tradition continues in mark of the wolves. I also like the T.O.P system, it's original and well thought out. Overall, I think MoTW just has a better feel to it, it's more refined, and just generally more fun. Though 3rd strike certainly gives it a run for its money.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I know someone already replied to you Phatslugga, but im going to go into the Specifics.

Terry

Gato

Garou: Mark of the Wolves is known as "Fatal Fury 4" to many, Its made by SNK, and it was released only for the NeoGeo and the Sega Dreamcast. You can find many familier faces in the game, and many characters that relate to those from the King of Fighters series as well...

Terry Bogard - The only character here in the Fatal Fury series that makes an appearance... Like third Strike, its revamped with a whole new set of characters...

Rock Howard - Terry's adopted son, Geese Howard's Son (Geese Howard is the man that killed Terry and Andy's father if you didn't know...).

Hokutomaru - I think thats how you spell his name, its a boy who is still in the beginning stages of learning the "Shinarui Arts". Which is Mai an Andy's technique of fighting.

Kim Dong Hawn - Older brother of Kim Jae Hoon, son of Kim Kaphwan (The Kim from King of Fighters), his Aura is Lightning, Kim Jae Hoon's is Fire, and their fathers is Neutral, when doing their Special Moves...

Kim Jae Hoon - Younger brother of Kim Dong Hwan, son of Kim Kaphwan (The Kim from King of Fighters), his Aura is Lightning, Kim Jae Hoon's is Fire, and their fathers is Neutral, when doing their Special Moves...

Kushnood Butt - A student training under Ryo (from the Art of Fighting team in KOF), it'd remind you of Sean... Cause hese also black... plus Ryo wears a red Gi like Ken... Hese better than Sean though...

Kain - *Spoiler* Revealed by the storyline to be Rock Howard's uncle (the brother of Rock's mother...). Its unclear what his intentions are because when you finish the game its sorta seems unfinished (atleast when you beat it with Rock Howard). You really wanna know WTF happends next... Hopefully there will be a Garou 2...

Other characters:

Tizoc (A wrestling character... Hese kinda fun to play)
Gato (My favorite character in the game, next to Terry)
Gato's Sister (Forgot her name...)
Grant (Sub-Boss of the game)
Freeman (Some other new guy, I never really liked him)
Some cop guy (forgot his name too, he reminds me of Alex from 3rd strike... Even though he doesn't grapple)

I have Garou on a Neo Geo Emulator so thats how im able to play it at home all the time... Rumor has it they will release it for the PS2 soon (SNK is planning to re-release all of their previous titles for PS2/Xbox and giving them online support...)

EDIT: OH YEAH... Kain is the guy on my Avatar... hese the boss of this game as well...

KyoKusanagi

K
you're kidding right? arguably the best street fighter game to date next to a good at best Fatal Fury "4" offering.

as much as i liked earlier editions of Garou, Capcom took my money with 3rd Strike and is laughing all the way to the bank with it. more than 5 years on it still draws me back to play it, and its sheer popularity warranted a PS2 and X-Box release even though the first console version was out on Dreamcast soon after its launch.

the depth of the game just sucks you in and refuses to let go and you can really see that 3rd Strike was an revolution rather than Garou: MOTW which although was a good game, more of a evolution.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well the poll begs to differ KyoKusanagi! :p I really thought you'd be into Garou though... I thought that mainly cause of your name :p... But anyway, Garou's theme just seems way better to me than 3rd strike... And it was never "revolutionary" because as I said before... (And I think you said it too in a previous topic of mine), SNK in not known by many in the US... Even then... the game WAS only released on the Sega Dreamcast (as far as american consoles go), and we both know the dreamcast didn't last long. Especially since the game was released near the end of the Systems end, along with The Last Blade 2...

However if SNK does plan on re-releasing all of their previous titles for PS2/Xbox and giving them online support (incluting Last Blade 2 and Garou: Mark of the Wolves), im pretty sure that more people will prefer it at best... I just find it sad that not many people know the Legendary Wolf himself...

Meh... I'd be playing 3rd strike more often if Cammy was in it though... I miss Cammy >_< she rocks in Alpha 3... But I like her best in CVS2.

Best answers
Garou came out on DC, I was actually grabbing it for a friend, cause he really likes fighting games. Garou sounds cool, anyone wanna post some linkage to some in-game footage?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom