Leading Sound-Cards

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm looking for a top notch sound card for audio recording. I stummbled cross a company called "Turtle Beach" and they have three products Riveria, Santa Cruz, and Catalina... so far I'm interested in Santa Cruz, but i want to know if there is anything about someone being the top leading "sound card" company.

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
DSP Hardware is quickly dieing, mainly to the fact that software companies are looking to decimate DirectSound boards by making their sound systems use the processor instead of the DS sound cards. Doom 3 is a good example. Alot of this games lag is not the potent graphics, you loose 20 fps from your processor doing the work of a good DSP. Still Turtle Beach Santa Cruz has a good history, and it shouldn't be a bad buy.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
i know its an english company, but i used to work for www.soundcontrol.co.uk you should be able to find information on any soundcard you want on that site.

Best answers
Well i got a Soundblaster Live! and i like it alot. Good sound quality from it.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
i had that - my new soundblaster audigy2 owns it in every way, shape and form tho :)

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
ehm, he wants recording, not output.. sound blaster are the WORST in the industry as far as recording goes...

i guess for a cheap-ish soundcard, try M-audio, they are fairly good for those trying to break into the industry, but cant afford a full pro-tools studio (pro-tools being the industry standard and a full studio cosing in excess of £20,000)

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yes I am looking for a top notch card "Max 700 dollars" that would be good to do audio recording on for my homemade studio im having designed in my basement. It's not really a studio, but it has a booth, my new computer *need sound card*, a studio mic, amplifier, keyboard... well lets put it this way, it's a studio, just not the huge amplifier as might be seen on *behind the scenes for making the album* type tv shows... this is a mini version of that *lol*

Well ill search around

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Almighty_gir said:
ehm, he wants recording, not output.. sound blaster are the WORST in the industry as far as recording goes...

i guess for a cheap-ish soundcard, try M-audio, they are fairly good for those trying to break into the industry, but cant afford a full pro-tools studio (pro-tools being the industry standard and a full studio cosing in excess of £20,000)
Mostly agreed, M-Audio just shunts the work to the processor. But Stay far away from soundblaster. Turtle Beach seems to be the one to beat for recording sound.

Best answers
Get a card with on the fly dolby digital surround sound encoding... Good card, and best quality :p

(I wish I had one of those cards myself...)

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
he wants recording not output. which means dolby is useless, since its something you break the track down into after you record it, using software.

also, if you have a decent motherboard you should be able to get at least 5.1 out of it.

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Emhilradim said:
Get a card with on the fly dolby digital surround sound encoding... Good card, and best quality :p

(I wish I had one of those cards myself...)
As Gir mentioned, I don't believe any cards record direct to DTS or Dolby Surround (any versions) via hardware. Software packages might manage to do this, but you almost always want to record the sources then devide the tracks on to the channels you want anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom