Spyware-Ho!

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I just downloaded a program off of Download.com, right. Right after I installed, I figured I'd do an Ad-Aware search - knowing how "free" software is packaged these days. After the search, it found twenty - no big deal, right?

The next thing I did was to search for lyrics for a song. I Googled it, found a site, and read the lyrics. My IE proceeded to crash - what the ****? I reload IE, which took about ten minutes. I noticed about three different new toolbars installed followed up by a few popups. I do another Ad-Aware search (Smart Scan), and it found 521 different objects.

Don't you just love Spyware?

brainfeeder
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Spyware and Windows ME has been the downfall in many parts of my computer's hardware.

I consider Spyware to be a criminal offense, referring to invasion of privacy, and I pray for the day the culprets are behind jail.

Then, the internet as a whole can help each other clean up the mess.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yeah, Spyware is a downfall to enjoying internet now-a-days. And now that theirs about 02985903285902839592358023859023 different spyware files, i doubt it'll ever come to an end.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yeah, I went through the same thing about 2 weeks ago, it SUCKS.
My advice: if it takes you more than 1 hour to get rid of the spyware, and it still isn't gone, just reinstall your OS. That'll probably take less time than trying to get rid of the spyware through scanning and sweeping.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm lucky. I once got a malicious program that generated over 16,000 spontaneous files. My computer, tough bastard that she is, toughed it out and seemed to be continuing to function almost at max capacity. But I don't get a lot of spyware so it's been pretty easy for me to route out issues and break them.

It is the lowest form of human life. I had a friend who designed spyware and he quit his job because his boss was such a complete money grubbing ******* he couldn't take it anymore; he smashed his work computer onto the floor and told his boss that he was a "disgusting, deplorable pig" and stormed out of the office. He punched their wall-mounted router on his way out the door. All this because his boss had conceived some great new way to infiltrate email accounts.

From what Keith told me about that job, it was a nightmare.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Amen.

i friggen hate spyware, it friggen inturupts me everytime i wanted to do something in the past, now i use mozilla and its alot better now but theres no way to tak out POS IE!

SaiyanPrideXIX, ur friend made the right choice by leaving that company :eek:

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
Download.com/ZDNET = no longer reputable

Optional said:
Don't you just love Spyware?
Don't you just love the most exploited program (IE) in the history of computing?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
OMFG, spyware has struck again on me and i think its hopeless again, here take a look

i cant right click, select, shift delete, these ****ing ****ty icons off my desktop, ive even tried restarting, used spybot and adware but no luck. **** you spyware youve done it again....

help please

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
i have the same problem its reeeeally annoying

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
so does anyone know how to take these ****ty icons off? man its really bugging me...

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Maybe try to boot in SAVED MODE where uses less configurations and then try to seek and destroy stuff like that manually

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
saved mode? how do i do that? i know how to boot in safe mode and when i did the ****ty icons were'nt there, then when i normally boot up the same ****ty icons come back, what a ****ing piss off

Best answers
DarkSniper said:
i cant right click, select, shift delete, these ****ing ****ty icons off my desktop, ive even tried restarting, used spybot and adware but no luck. **** you spyware youve done it again....

help please
AHH HAHAHA, I just spent about 4 hours cleaning up a PC at work that had a similar problem.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
mind helping me and almighty_gir to take off these ****ty desktop icons? =0

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
on start up press 'F5' (think it is F5) and you should enter a menu for booting options, load up safe mode and try deleting the icons from there.

if that doesnt work, well i dont know guys, sorry :(

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It's F8.

And for the record, dude--blame IE all you want, that desktop that was posted in this thread has at the very least thousands of dollars in downloaded software on it...and I saw a "Bit[something]" folder there too.

Like my friend once told me: "Bend over and hold your ass open in the prison shower and see if you get away without penetration." lol

EDIT: by the way, as cool as you might THINK Daemon Tools is, it carries like 6 different miserable viruses.

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
could it be 'BitTorrent'?
i doubt it could be that but thats the only word i know that is on the net starting with "Bit"

have you tried 'SpyBot v1.3' i use that and find it very useful, it finds and gets ride of any form of spyware on your comp

click Here! for the Spybot link

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
DarkSniper said:
OMFG, spyware has struck again on me and i think its hopeless again, here take a look

help please

Well to quote someone in this thread.
"OMFG IT WAS IE!!!1!one!1eleven"

Oh wait, he uses Firefox. So I guess it is possible to get spyware without IE then huh?

Sorry but if you get a virus or spyware it's your own damn fault. Blaming IE is just ignorant. Granted it sucks when you do get one, but if you're looking for a reason why, it's probably because you pressed 'yes' or 'accept' to one of those little security warnings. Either that or you're security wasn't high enough, or off. Any reason why leads to user error, not program fault.

Optional told us he willingly downloaded something and ran it. He took a risk with something. It sucks but it's his own fault. At least he didn't try to pass it off as a fault of IE.

DarkSniper... You just started up one day and there they were? Can't use the IE excuse though so it obviously is your own fault. What did you download. By the looks of it, could be some sort of free gaming site.

As for a solution for DarkSniper, since Optional already fixed his problem it would seem.
If adware and virus sweeps aren't working, look at your currently running processes. Do a Google search for whatever you don't recognize. You should find some type of security site telling you if it's malicious or just a standard program. It will also give you information on how to completley remove it from your system.
If that doesn't work, look in your Program files folder and look for any folders you don't recognize. Delete them, and if you can't, startup in safemode and delete them. A Google search on the folder name in question would also be helpfull. Chances are you are going to have to edit some registry settings to fix whatever your specific spyware/virus has altered to keep itself there.

Man that Firefox is so safe huh? ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom