Internet Exploroer

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Hi, i surf the web a lot and stuff and IE has really crossed the line with me with continuos popups when i start up my steam games, and adding bs icons to my desk top so i would like to know if there is a way to disable this POS. oh and i use mozilla so that makes me want to get rid of IE even more

any help would be appreciated, thx!

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
http://www.windowsitpro.com/Windows/Article/ArticleID/38206/Windows_38206.html

Get rid of the Java VM that Microsoft uses, as it's highly insecure. If you want Java in IE, use Java from the makers of Java. :p

http://www.java.com/en/download/windows_automatic.jsp

Restart in safe mode, and delete everything in the program files\internet explore\plugins folder.

Check your startup (start->run->"msconfig"->startup tab) for spyware, blah blah normal routine.

Restart normally and you should be golden.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
and how do i get in/out of safe mode? (yes im a noob)

edit: k i did the safe mode thing and deleted the plugins, but i didnt get the first part about java

also IE still works and is not disabled... peice of ****...

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
Well, you can't "uninstall" IE... however, you can forcefully delete it.

Enable the viewing of all files (Tools->Options (in any folder), and uncheck "Hide Protected Operating System Files").

Then head over to c:/windows/system32/dllcache/ (you may have to type it into the address bar), scroll down and delete iexplore.exe. This is where "backups" of "critical" system executables are kept. By deleting iexplore.exe here, it won't reappear when you delete it from c:/program files/internet explorer/.

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
You can't delete the connection wizard folder for some reason, although you can delete everything inside of it. (on my system anyways)

Just Windows being weird I guess, or some design "feature". :p

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
i even tried deleting the contents inside the folder and still same thing ARGHHH F***ING IE! thx anyways

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
ya i have had those 2 programs for a while now, the desktop icons stopped now

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom