OMFG Frustrated

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yeah, here I am making a thread here again, I don't care, I'm desperate.

I recently did a lot of registry repairing n what not with this program called "System Mechanic Pro v5.0c"

Also, I had tried out LITESTEP and ended up hating it so I uninstalled it.

Afterwards, I rebooted and 90% of my icon pictures were GONE! I am SOOO frustrated. I can restore them all manually but it will take at least a month to do it all, so how can i fix this easily?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Hwoarang said:
Your basic Spyware/Adware infection, just use Spybot S&D 1.3 if you haven't already.

I highly doubt this is related to spyware/adware but I'll check anyways.

_------------

I was right, it WASNT anything w/ spyware/adware

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I don't use System Restore - It's practically useless and takes up a lot of disk space.

ALSO -- The strange thing is, the actualy .exe files are icon-less as well, yet they still have the icons packed into the .exe files.

Best answers
System Mechanic Pro is the worst registry reparing app on the planet. If you want a good one, use RegSupreme.

Best answers
Mr. Satan said:
I don't use System Restore - It's practically useless and takes up a lot of disk space.

ALSO -- The strange thing is, the actualy .exe files are icon-less as well, yet they still have the icons packed into the .exe files.
I agree with satan, if you install new stuff since you make a retore point then when you try to restore it goes all screwy, and usuily dosen't even fix the problem.

system mechanic has backup funcions man use them

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Satan, how many times have you had a problem, posted it on this forum, and someone suggested a system restore? Damn near every time. Take a hint: turn on system restore.

Best answers
I agree with optional. I've used system restore to bail myself out countless times (Since I'm going into IT anyway, I need to be able to bail myself out when I start messin with stuff). Its basically useless, except for this time, where it would fix your problem without a hitch right? Mmhmm, thats what I thought.

Also, common sense prevails. You ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS back up the registry before you touch ANYTHING in it, be it manually or with a program.

Back ups > you
System Restore > you

Best answers
Mr. Satan said:
Okay, can I get help now instead of criticism?
No, not really. Restoring your registry would be the only way to fix it I know of (besides the obvious: Format), and since you obviously don't have a backup to restore from... lol. Either that or manually restore the icons, which may not even solve the problem. Who knows what other damage that program may have caused.

I suppose you could re-install the operating system without formatting. That would restore the registry and all that without you loosing your files. Just scraps everything basically. Shortcuts and all that would be toast.

Best answers
whats that i see on his desktop, aimbot :)...uh oh!

lol you should really blur that out man

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
im sure thats the least of his worries considdering hes got a program called Warez P2P client...

how more UN-subtle can you get?!

Best answers
Hammer, Large Nail, that's pretty un-subtle as you say :D

Hey Satan, I had same prob as you, I just wussed out and formated, so if puch comes to shove...

Best answers
Ill help satan cause i got the program too, and it deleted my icons. the fix is VERY simple man, it just involes right cliking shortcuts, go to proerties, go to the real exe that the shortcut points too, and make another shortcut with it. your icons will return. Dont waste your time with getin everything back cause after awile they return on their own.

And oh ya don't use system restore it screws up your computer.

Best answers
And oh ya don't use system restore it screws up your computer.
Thats odd. Its never messed mine up, only fixed it. I guess it only works if you know how to use it. As the old saying goes . . .

"A computer is only as good as the person pushing the buttons."
God I love that quote. Its so true its not even funny.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I've used system restore, along with some friends of mine, and we never had one problem with it.

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
This website will fix most spyware problems, it only works in IE though.

Url Removed - WG

Best answers
hitler said:
This website will fix most spyware problems, it only works in IE though.

Url Removed - WG
Warning for posting a link to give anyone who clicks spyware/adware/virus/ect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom