Nintendo DS...

Do you think Nintendo DS should have online capabilities?

• Of course!...yes.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• I don't have DS.

• Total voters
The Sinister Minister
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
On an administrative note:

I'm going to post this once. Only once. This thread asks, and I quote, "Do you think Nintendo DS should have online capabilities?". This thread DOESN'T ask "Why is the PSP better/worse?" or "Why will/won't the DS outsell every other system", or "What are your opinions on Nintendo as a corporate body?"

Stick to the topic, and the warnings will be slim to nil. Understood?

Having said that, I feel that the DS's wireless play for a limited number of people is sufficient enough for me. If I were to ever get a DS, I'd imagine I'd buy it for gaming, above all else, especially to play with people I know. So, if I had a DS, I'd probably vote "No", at least on the impression I get from the question. However, since I don't own one, I'll take the last option :(

Super Moderator
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It would probably jack up the price enormously to give it wireless internet capabilities. Not to mention most likely a fee on top ala XBox live. Now if you're talking a physical connection through a router, you lose the portability part.

I think it has enough knick-knacks in it as it is.

*edit* I don't have one, but I voted hypothetically.

Best answers
i own a DS =) its great even for the wireless multiplayer and such but yea wirless internet play would be awesome but at a later time, cause right now ti would severely jack up the price

YaM

Best answers
Optimus Prime - It already does have online capabilities, it has WiFi built into the system, just like the PSP. Eventually, if they're smart, it'll work just like wireless multiplayer except that you'd be tapping into a WiFi internet connection instead of another DS. Shooters will rock especially with touch screen control, it's pretty much pinpoint (hopefully they'll put in sensitivity options). So I vote yes.

Edit - Just remembered one thing. The darn system has Pictochat built in, there's no way they're going to expect us to chat to someone when they're right in front of us for the entire life of the system.

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I heard that PSP has wireless around the world.

DS has a wireless in some areas. I'm not sure what the distance is.

If I'm not mistaken, DS has online capabilities. Only in a certain distance.

(No I'm not saying PSP or DS is better, I'm just saying that the PSP has unlimited wireless access I think but I definetly know that DS has online access.)

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Majin_You said:
On an administrative note:

I'm going to post this once. Only once. This thread asks, and I quote, "Do you think Nintendo DS should have online capabilities?". This thread DOESN'T ask "Why is the PSP better/worse?" or "Why will/won't the DS outsell every other system", or "What are your opinions on Nintendo as a corporate body?"

Stick to the topic, and the warnings will be slim to nil. Understood?
dReAm KiLlEr said:
I heard that PSP has wireless around the world.

(No I'm not saying PSP or DS is better, I'm just saying that the PSP has unlimited wireless access I think but I definetly know that DS has online access.)
I belive that the PSP was not to be mentioned, and you not only mentioned it but added a comparison between both machines. Allow me to hand you the first warning on this thread, congrats.

Best answers
I think it would be nice, but it doesnt really need it and it woul dcrank up the price waay too much and nintendo have a good record with prices.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
"I heard that PSP has wireless around the world.

(No I'm not saying PSP or DS is better, I'm just saying that the PSP has unlimited wireless access I think but I definetly know that DS has online access.)"
Nope, look up the specs on gamespot, they both use the same 802.11 Wi-Fi connetion. Dunno if it will come out with a modem or what not, but they have the same wireless connections.

Honestly I dont think internet play is necessary, even though it would be cool. You would have to pay a monthly fee, like xbox live, as i think was stated above. So my answer is it would be cool, but not necessary. And who would want to pay a monthly fee to play super mario 64 with people in france? I think 100 feet wireless play is good enough for now.

YaM

Best answers
The only problem with the DS possibly not supporting online play is the fact that it's probably pretty expensive cost wise to put that feature in there, which would make it a huge waste if they abandoned it again. That and I believe that the PSP is going to be using it right from the start, so if Nintendo wants to stay alive they'd better pop it in. Look at the Gamecube sales for Christmas. Everywhere you went PS2 and Xbox's were sold out, but they had overstock of the Cubes. I even admit right now it's not a good idea to put it in (all the decent games are ports or rehashes so far), but if they don't we might just be saying goodbye to the big N.

Random note - Has anybody else found an error in the system where you put a GBA cart in and the bottom screen says something like "DS upgrade pack inserted"? o_O

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Heh I'm not I just heard about it from my bros friend. Anyway's
I bet DS is online. I think it's like 3 or 5 miles online.

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If either system uses 802.11b or g wireless and has a way of connecting to your lan and using it as a gateway, then you will not need anything other than a wireless network set up and a 350 foot virtual leash to your access point. 802.11 Wi-Fi is just a LAN spec, and it uses the same methods as your X-Box and PS2 broadband adapters to get online.

Best answers
Online is kinda pushing it. Even the GC doesn't have online capabilities. But, even without the online abilites, the Wi-Fi is pretty fun itself, especially in school. Only complaint with the DS and online, is that I wish the range was a little greater.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I think it would be a waste. There aren't many things to do with portable style games in an online environment that you can't do with two strangers on the bus.

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well for the DS They'll eventually come out with a cord you connect to the internet so you play world wide. The wireless online is just some distance.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Lest we not forget that Nintendo seems to have a general phobia towards producing a fully online product.

Best answers
its not a phobia, they just like to perfect products before releasing them.

this has been a good/bad habbit of nintendo, delaying capabilities, but when we get them, they are damn well good.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'd prefer the Sega approach myself--do it right a year before anyone else even has the same idea.

Personally I just think that the company won't give full online to products for a long time regardless, and I believe very much that it is due to the possibility of operating and maintaining its own network several hundred servers being out of Nintendo's viable range of expenses.

Unless the DS does extremely well--like, 2x better than any handheld to date, well--then I wouldn't expect any online capability at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom