wireless networking

Best answers
Hey you guys are probably getting sick of hearing from me. anyway here's the deal. I want to get dial up on my computer in my room. but my dad doesn't want me to, so im going to use our dell (that were getting in april 2005) in our basement that has 56k dial up and make the dell an ics host and use the network as an excuse to get internet in my room (im telling my dad that im using the network for getting downloaded files off the dell and getting them onto my computer, while im really using the network for the internet since we dont have highspeed out at our house yet. im a genius huh :D. now it sounds like it should work but i got 2 problems.

1. What stuff do i need to do this. i think that all i need is just 2 802.11b wireless adapters. But i might need more depending what you guys say.

2. I got people saying that i need a router and people saying that i dont because 2 computers can communicate and network together as long as a third computer isnt put in the wireless network.

So do i need the router or not and please give me a list of what i need.

Best answers
Firstly, dont lie to your parents. Its naughty. If you want to have two PC's online at the same time you can either.......

- Use the computer connected to the internet as a Proxy Server. (Though the PC will always have to be running the Proxy Server software for you to connect). That also means the pc connected will take priority when it comes to downloading etc.

- Buy a router, setup you gateway and poof your online. Though you will need a ISP that supports 8 IPs. Likely hood is your router will be dhcp which only supports one static IP. Which means you wont be able to recieve any incoming traffic to the PC upstairs.

Best answers
1) Cant help ya...

2) If there are 2computers no need of a router.. if there are 3 or more i would get a router....

*Can't help more, i normal not in this sub forum, im out*
ps. i have wireless and i hate it...

Best answers
Yeah i shouldnt lie but i have so many things on my computer that requires the internet like my antivirus software that my dad made me buy for $50 and its getting really boring playing lan games with bots and my dad cant see that no matter how much i explain it. So ill take your advice and get 2 wireless adapters. thats pretty much all im interested in, gaming and just surfing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom