ESF:source,made by a thrid party?

Best answers
half-life one got transferred to source with no modifications whatssoever to its graphics, it just had source natural fetures, like reflective water, so could people in the commutity(us) make an esf source, with same graphics but on the source engine?

Yall might say its not worth it for the short term, but graphics upgrades? plus some people dont have hl1, only hl2

Super Moderator
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Barney's Soul said:
half-life one got transferred to source with no modifications whatssoever to its graphics, it just had source natural fetures, like reflective water, so could people in the commutity(us) make an esf source, with same graphics but on the source engine?

Yall might say its not worth it for the short term, but graphics upgrades? plus some people dont have hl1, only hl2
That would only happen if they release the source code. Could happen, don't bank on it though.

Best answers
They did, however release the HL2 code on Christmas. So i think we could see a Half-Life Source code come through sometime very very soon.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
this would suck thou , it would divide the community inrto 2 parts , pepole with crap comps stick to hl enge , people with good coms use the source engine , doesn't make any sense , stick to hl1eneging for my sake and others , i have guest comps (p3 933's,256sdpc133memory, 1 with a geforce4ti4200 , one with a 32mbgeforce2gts) source engine requirments are a 1.2ghz p3 or athlon , 512mb of memory , and a 64mb dx7 card compatible with directx9

my main could run it , but then again since the g4 is my bro's , i'n stuck withan fx5200 at the moment , and for it to run smoothly , u need a decent card , add that with low ping online and u got one laggy hunk of junk

you can obviously see why it splits the community in 2

Super Moderator
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Robby said:
They did, however release the HL2 code on Christmas. So i think we could see a Half-Life Source code come through sometime very very soon.
I meant the ESF source code.

Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
ANd it really wouldn't be very different. To make it worthwhile, you'd have to recode it for source. Basically, you could have better maps and models, and that's about it. But you'd need to find ppl willing to make good models. You wouldn't be able to add new anims unless you wanted to redo everything in that dept. It'd be easier just to wait for the HL2 DBZ mods if they ever get a beta out. But, again, this would all rely on Masta and Hars releasing the source, which I doubt they will.

-Karrde-

Everyone's Favorite Weirdo :D
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
nah... dont have to recode it for source. You just gotta do some minor code tweaks.. then recompile. Converting models isnt to bad, once you figure it out its like nothing. But.. I dont know about everything else. :)

Best answers
sayian overlord is right, this would simple tear apart teh esfs coummnity..and even if it didn't wat is the real use of source? i mean, the coders are going to stick to half life 1 and if you convert it to source, what is the real difference..sure you get better looking models and stuff but what gameplay things are there? the coders are going to code in hl1 while people are going to convert to hl2, no change?

Best answers
well...the only thing that woud be a problem is splitting the community...and honestly...if ur computer cant run hl2 u need to upgrade cause its not very demanding at all...i was very surprised to see what the min reqs were to play it...

and to answer the questions about "what would be the point" think about it...if u could take esf as it is now...same models and everything but add the physics alone to the game...it would make it WAY better...

imagine hitting someone or throwing someone and seeing them fly through the air with their arms and legs flailing...it would be great...not to mention that the maps would be WAY WAY bigger...meaning not so much double teaming and they could afford to up the speed a lil...the engine itself doesnt have the limitations (like the speed cap and things like that) that the old hl/quake engine has...

and if u can in fact move all the models and maps that are here now...without any visual upgrades i dont see what the big deal would be...yes u would have to do some code tweaks....but it would be nothing compared to what u are doin with 1.3 with adding the trans' and stuff like that...

then u could take a version and upgrade all the maps and models...and make that a seperate release...u dont have to do it all at once...

from what ive read its becoming increasingly easier to move..or 'port' if u wanna call it that...so i dont see y u wouldnt be able to do it other than seperating the community

Best answers
Why not just wait awhile? I think if there is ever going to be a port. that it should be moved to Half Life 2, when like a 2GHZ processor becomes like what 700Mhz Processor is today. then you wont have to worry as much about "splitting the ESF community". mainly because most people, will have the systems to run the game. I say, dont rush it. you have all the time in the world. those who keep trying to rush things. are just not patient. - my 2 cents.

Best answers
You do have to accept the fact does the team "want" to do that? They have been working on this mod for a good I think its 3 years, but I do wish they would port it over it isn't much to do anyway. Hell on halflife 2 they probably have destroyable environments I dunno though.

The Sinister Minister
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
SSJ Shin Carl said:
You do have to accept the fact does the team "want" to do that? They have been working on this mod for a good I think its 3 years, but I do wish they would port it over it isn't much to do anyway. Hell on halflife 2 they probably have destroyable environments I dunno though.
At this point, I'm assuming it's more of a question of whether or not the team wants to let others handle the job, as that's the question posed - "ESF Source, made by a third party?". I suppose, in the end, it depends on where the team wants the mod to rest. Should it be on HL1, then so be it. There is, at least, the assurance of knowing that a lot of people have HL, or have relatively easy access to it, so ESF can maintain a relatively high fanbase/player base for now. Perhaps they will let a 3rd party handle a port once HL2 becomes more prevalent, perhaps not. For now, I'd assume we'd have to wait and see.

Best answers
theyve already stated in a thread like that that they will NEVER make a source release...they said that if they cant work on it noone will...which is understandable...

and for those of u afraid of not being able to play...take a look at this

Minimum Requirements for HL2 (straight from my box)
1.2 ghz processor
256 megs of ram
Direct X 7 Compatible Vid card (direct x 7 is so frickin old its unreal)
windows 2000/me/xp/98 (WINDOWS FRICKIN 98 FOR GODS SAKE!!!!)
4.5gb of hd space
keyboard mouse and internet connection

now...like i said b4...if u dont have at least that in a computer theres no point in even having a computer...u need to upgrade that old p.o.s and get with the program...i mean hell...to upgrade to what hl2 needs would cost what...300 bucks at the most?

really if u think about it too the team has already split the community with the new melee system...but it was somethin they wanted and it was somethin they thought made the game better...if game developers always said "well lets not make another version of the game because ppl might not have the system to run it" then we would still be stuck with stuff like the old 8-bit version of Pit Fall....

Best answers
MysticUub said:
(...)then we would still be stuck with stuff like the old 8-bit version of Pit Fall....

Yep, then i wouldn't have spent all those money for all comp upgrades. I would be happy then :p.
PS. POP1 and tetris rocks :p

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
MysticUub said:
theyve already stated in a thread like that that they will NEVER make a source release...they said that if they cant work on it noone will...which is understandable...

and for those of u afraid of not being able to play...take a look at this

Minimum Requirements for HL2 (straight from my box)
1.2 ghz processor
256 megs of ram
Direct X 7 Compatible Vid card (direct x 7 is so frickin old its unreal)
windows 2000/me/xp/98 (WINDOWS FRICKIN 98 FOR GODS SAKE!!!!)
4.5gb of hd space
keyboard mouse and internet connection

now...like i said b4...if u dont have at least that in a computer theres no point in even having a computer...u need to upgrade that old p.o.s and get with the program...i mean hell...to upgrade to what hl2 needs would cost what...300 bucks at the most?

really if u think about it too the team has already split the community with the new melee system...but it was somethin they wanted and it was somethin they thought made the game better...if game developers always said "well lets not make another version of the game because ppl might not have the system to run it" then we would still be stuck with stuff like the old 8-bit version of Pit Fall....
True but you forgot that not evry one has such good computers so the games are made as lo nead as possible so they sell as much as possible.
If the games neaded more CPU speed then less peuple would buy them cause not evryone has anough money to buy high quality PCs. And that would be bad for the gaming industries cause less peuple would buy ther games.

ONTOPIC:Well the decision is still up to the team and noone else.

Best answers
MysticUub said:
same models and everything but add the physics alone to the game...it would make it WAY better...

imagine hitting someone or throwing someone and seeing them fly through the air with their arms and legs flailing...it would be great
that isn't physics, thats animations and if the esf team did puta really big effort into that they could achieve that in half life 1. but i have to agree on you for the maps, you have a point there and also i think the hitboxes on half life 2 are better so you can scale the models even down for bigger maps

but as many people said, its up to the team and only the team because they have the power to do what they want and by the looks of it they wouldn't release the source code

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Actually, it is physics. When someone switches to "physics mode", like when they die or are thrown, their body is basically turned into a rag doll.

L

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
That'd be awsome.. Simple melee Vegeta, His dead body fly's back into a hill... He slowly roll's down..Goku fires off a generic beam in ssj just to see his body fling in the air swirling.. ;0 , It really would be cool ... We can only wait and see...

itr

✔️ HL Verified
🍂 Regular
Best answers
I've seen hl2 run on a 900mhz pc...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom